New Car Discount & UK Car Discount

Check your T&Cs with NCD. I bet they can pull out if Skoda won't/can't supply the car. Your losses will be limited to your deposit so CC won't get involved beyond that.

T&Cs are one thing but UK law overrides. The great thing is that our law around sale of goods is based on "reasonable expectations" so there is always redress whatever their T&Cs say.

Edited by Toonaroond
  • Like 2

Sorry to hear this especially for those who have ordered and are on the brink of taking delivery.  I was about to order from either NCD or buyanynewcar but guess will now wait to see how this pans out.

So sorry for all those affected by this development.

This is worrying news. Obviously concerned about my own order too. I'll have to reevaluate the whole situation, should the worst happen. Fingers well and truly crossed.

Why are they still listing them for sale with the big discounts on their site if they've had to stop?

I noticed that.....very fishy if you ask me, getting totally disillusioned with car buying at present....will see how all this pans out and will forget the idea and just stick to my old Beetle! 

Sorry to hear about all these cancelled orders, maybe the other dealers have gone to Skoda and complained and that's why the plug has been pulled, it wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened.

Some years ago it was common practice for Harley-Davidson owners to buy parts and accessories direct from dealers in America and take advantage of the favourable exchange rate as even with paying duty you were getting them far cheaper, the UK dealers complained and Harley-Davidson stopped the practice overnight, I personally had accounts with 3 US dealers and they were all closed, however it has come home to roost as UK Dealers can now no longer get some parts that are for the US only.

In the same way UK dealers were supplying bikes to customers in Europe due to the favourable exchange rate, the dealers in Europe complained and Harley-Davidson stopped that overnight as well and I'm led to believe that a couple of dealers actually lost their franchise as they didn't toe the line.

All of this doesn't stop people stocking up on P&A's whilst on holiday in the US, however its difficult to but a bike or for that matter a car in your suitcase!

The reason it went on is that H-D charge £ for $ in the UK so when the $ was 2 to the £ we were paying twice as much for parts as our friends over the pond so why wouldn't you do it. 

• Like 1

The worry for me is that we have spies in this group.

Of course we have, Skoda UK and/or Skoda Dealers would be stupid not to take advantage of the wealth of information contained in user forums, wouldn't you tap into it if it was your business?!

• Like 1

If this is true, Skoda should at least have the decency to honour existing orders, especially ones that the car is even in this country....very bad PR, and personally, i would never buy another Skoda on the back of this AND contact the media about this.....dispicable service if true!!

• Like 2

If this is true, Skoda should at least have the decency to honour existing orders, especially ones that the car is even in this country....very bad PR, and personally, i would never buy another Skoda on the back of this AND contact the media about this.....dispicable service if true!!

I wouldn't disagree with you there.

As someone else said, I don't get why it's in Skoda's interest to interfere? They're still making money out of it and so are the dealers (although obviously less for them). The bad feeling and PR this could cause would ultimately be worse for all parties, surely?

This is more of a NCD issue than a Škoda one though TBH ... I for one was one of the many people on here who actually had a pleasant purchase experience with NCD.

IF NCD have not complied with Škodas T&C’s then it’s not surprising that Škoda have pulled the plug.... that said i think that any car that is actually built should be allowed to be supplied purely as good PR from Škoda, as once it’s gets out to the media that Škoda are refusing to let a car that is sat at the dealership be delivered to its ‘owner’ then it will do them more financial harm than good.

The worry for me is that we have spies in this group.

Of course we have, Skoda UK and/or Skoda Dealers would be stupid not to take advantage of the wealth of information contained in user forums, wouldn't you tap into it if it was your business?!

Škoda dealers (and no doubt SUK) have long used this forum, which IMO is a good thing, the problem is members obviously post on here to let others know of any good deals being offered... but SUK and their dealers will also find out about such deals as well, any dealer who claims not to know about Briskoda is either a liar or simply refuses to pull his head out of the sand and move with the times.

^^^ this is the best action you can all take IMO, maximum negative publicity will be the only way Škoda may let any cars already built be supplied. 

• Like 1

Hi All

Ordered from NCD on 29th March.

Built 8th May.

Invoiced on 19th May.

Being registered on 3rd June.

Collecting from NCD on 6th June.

I Hope??

Will post more information either way when I know?

Car coming from Notts,/Lincs area from number plate.

Thanks AG Falco

It's a shame you guy's orders have been cancelled, but Skoda UK have done this to protect the dealer network.

The profit margin in new car sales is there to give the dealer income and servicing also.

Its incredible that you wont buy from a dealer but expect them to service your car and fix problems.

If no one bought cars from dealers there wouldn't be any around.

Its like the high street, if we all buy online, we shouldn't complain about no shops on the high street.

To be fair most dealers will discount a lot, but can't offer fleet discount to private customers.

When buying anything it's only natural to shop about for the best deal possible. We are not going to intentionally pay more for something if we don't need to. The reality is we are buying a product. It is the product that we are interested in, not the dealer. How the business model of the supply of the product is constructed is beyond our concern. The Internet is here to stay and businesses need to adapt to it or market forces will decide their fate for them.

We have purchased a product and the manufacturer has made this product to our specifications. We are the Manufacturer's customer, the dealer/broker/salesman/agent is a Service Provider. I expect my order to be fulfilled and the sale of the product, which I have a order agreement and purchase invoice for, to be subject to the consumer protection agreements and laws of Scotland, England and the EU.

The cars are there, the customer's are here. The best outcome for both Skoda and the customer is for the orders to be fulfilled. If NCD and co, from hence forth, are no longer able to accept new orders for Skoda's then that is between them and the Manufacturer but as a customer of Skoda, I expect mine to be honoured.

• Like 1

It's a shame you guy's orders have been cancelled, but Skoda UK have done this to protect the dealer network.

The profit margin in new car sales is there to give the dealer income and servicing also.

Its incredible that you wont buy from a dealer but expect them to service your car and fix problems.

If no one bought cars from dealers there wouldn't be any around.

Its like the high street, if we all buy online, we shouldn't complain about no shops on the high street.

To be fair most dealers will discount a lot, but can't offer fleet discount to private customers.

Dealers have a HUGE profit margin on servicing. If a non-dealer garage can carry out the same service for almost half the dealer costs even when using manufacturer parts, and still make money themselves, then dealers are coining it in on that front. This is no secret, everyone knows you overpay at the dealer.

The cars bought through brokers are still ordered through dealerships, so why should the dealerships not be responsible for maintaining them and correcting any warranty issues? If I buy a MacBook from John Lewis and something goes wrong with it, it's still Apple's responsibility to fix it. Incidentally, I'd much rather take my car to the local garage I've been using for a number of years to get things fixed because I trust them, I know they do a good job and get it done in a timely manner too.

One thing I genuinely don't understand, is why can fleet sales get a much larger discount than private customers? I'd be happy to be enlightened on this one, because it strikes me as nonsensical. I get that fleet sales bring a higher volume of sales, but if a discount can be offered on the car and profit is still made, then why can't private customers be afforded the same terms? Still that's a little off the point, but I genuinely do not understand it.

• Like 1

Take care about just who you have a contract with. The car may be manufactured by Skoda but you don't have a contract with them if you bought thru a broker.

Your contract is with the broker not Skoda. As I have said on the other thread read your t&c and you will almost certainly find the limit of liability on failure to supply is your deposit returned. 

Skoda may, as a goodwill gesture and to stem any adverse PR, allow the supply of those vehicles already built and left from the factory but I cant see any way they will do anymore.

One thing I genuinely don't understand, is why can fleet sales get a much larger discount than private customers? I'd be happy to be enlightened on this one, because it strikes me as nonsensical. I get that fleet sales bring a higher volume of sales, but if a discount can be offered on the car and profit is still made, then why can't private customers be afforded the same terms? Still that's a little off the point, but I genuinely do not understand it.

I'd have thought that it boils down to how much time they spend on the deal. If a fleet purchase is more efficient - i.e. they are just taking an order and don't need to spend time selling, then costs are bugger all and it's just down to margin.

• Like 1

If skoda are cracking down on dubious fleet sales then I would expect them to target all intermediaries. Its not hard to find them on google is it?

So maybe they'll do a recall on all privately owned (or personally leased) Superb Business models? In theory they're only available to fleet....

But my sympathies to those caught up in this.

I'd have thought that Skoda are being a bit naughty here, and that "the brand" are playing fast and loose with the law. I suspect a well-planned legal attack on them would result in existing orders being fulfilled, but they're gambling on that not happening.

It's almost enough to make one vote to leave the EU!

Edited by thewinelake
  • Like 1

I nearly ordered from NCD earlier in the year but didn't in the end because I feared something like this would happen. Basically the price you pay for a vehicle is made up of a manufacturer discount and a dealer discount. For private buyers the manufacturers discount is low rate finance and a contribution or something like that. For fleets the discounts are much higher but each fleet customer will have their own terms. There is normally a term that says the vehicle can not be resold for a period of time. NCD are obviously on fleet terms from their supplying dealer but the cars were being registered to the private customer who brought them. I would imagine skoda have cottoned on to this and that it is the supplying dealer that has broken the fleet terms.

• Like 2

I nearly ordered from NCD earlier in the year but didn't in the end because I feared something like this would happen. Basically the price you pay for a vehicle is made up of a manufacturer discount and a dealer discount. For private buyers the manufacturers discount is low rate finance and a contribution or something like that. For fleets the discounts are much higher but each fleet customer will have their own terms. There is normally a term that says the vehicle can not be resold for a period of time. NCD are obviously on fleet terms from their supplying dealer but the cars were being registered to the private customer who brought them. I would imagine skoda have cottoned on to this and that it is the supplying dealer that has broken the fleet terms.

I think that's exactly it. NCD will have broken the terms of their agreement. It's pretty crap but I can see this happening more in the future with other manufacturers too.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I'd have thought that it boils down to how much time they spend on the deal. If a fleet purchase is more efficient - i.e. they are just taking an order and don't need to spend time selling, then costs are bugger all and it's just down to margin.

This is probably the reason. It certainly was back when I was in car sales back in the 90's...

And the fleet companies buy a lot of cars, so they get a big discount.