Would you choose a Vrs over a 2:0TDI SEL?

If you've read my previous post 'Dealer C£$k up', you'll see that I'm in the position of having to re-order an Octavia estate. Previously, the car I ordered was a 2:0TDI SEL with heated seats and sunset glass as extras. Park assist and adaptive cruise control were added free at factory apparently (but who actually uses park assist?!) so I'm not bothered about these two. 

So my question is: who would go for a Vrs over a SEL trim - and vice versa. I have to admit, the Vrs looks cool (and that's half of it anyway, isn't it?!). But what about the practicality and functions comparison. I've looked through the brochure so understand the differences on paper - but I'm hoping people can add some experience to help me decide. 

I commute about 18 miles a day, mix of A roads and B roads. Also, I live in Cornwall so plenty of twists, turns and variable tarmac surfaces!

I did originally order the SEL as, to me, it looked good on paper and I liked the trim when in the show room - but I can see there is a big Vrs following on here!

Appreciate the time to reply,

Rob

In a word, yes.

The vRS will set you back approx £2k more than the SE L but in my opinion it's worth every penny. Extra features, better performance, more desirable. The vRS also gets fully independent rear suspension which I don't think lesser powered TDi engines get. If you can live with the firm vRS ride setup, then I can't think of any other reason to buy an SE L over a vRS as long as the budget will stretch.

• Like 1

Sympathies for the issues you've had, personally I'd order a VRS in fact my second VRS is being built next week. As others have said you'll sacrifice some kit and ride quality but you'll gain something more fun, quicker and that holds its value better.

• Like 1

In a word, yes.

The vRS will set you back approx £2k more than the SE L but in my opinion it's worth every penny. Extra features, better performance, more desirable. The vRS also gets fully independent rear suspension which I don't think lesser powered TDi engines get. If you can live with the firm vRS ride setup, then I can't think of any other reason to buy an SE L over a vRS as long as the budget will stretch.

The modern octavia's (2013 onwards)should all have independent rear suspension, were in 2016 not 1996

The Golf that was introduced in 2004 had independant rear suspension but I'm not sure how far behind Skoda has been. The octavia's of the same year could have taken its platform from the earlier car which was a solid rear axle

Edited by SuperbTWM

The modern octavia's (2013 onwards)should all have independent rear suspension, were in 2016 not 1996

The Golf that was introduced in 2004 had independant rear suspension but I'm not sure how far behind Skoda has been. The octavia's of the same year could have taken its platform from the earlier car which was a solid rear axle

I believe apart from VRS only the 4x4 models get the multi-link

I see you didn't say petrol vRS, but sounds like you are assuming diesel vRS anyway !

Differences are more chalk and cheese if you were differentiating between petrol vRS and a diesel non vRS IMO, would make it a far more clear decision between 1) economy and mile eating or 2) all out fun but not so good economy ? So what are you after ?

Its a car far closer to say, an Audi S3 (with a bit of future tinkering), so judge on that basis. If it was me and diesel, I'd be tempted by the features of the "lesser" branded Octy diesel above the vRS branding IMO - only because for me Oct vRS is all about the petrol !

I'm biased though as I've got a Fabia vRS diesel too and I'm sure thats got the same legs as the newer diesel (once you factor in weight difference and more bhp on the octy on the basis my Fabias unmodified engine wise). You can't compare my Fabia with my petrol on unresticted all out performance, the petrols the winner all day long

I'm cheating / spoiled a bit here, as I can use the Fabia for economy and the Octavia for fun and refinement. Although the Fabia really is unsurprisingly good fun!

Edited by vRSAnt

I believe apart from VRS only the 4x4 models get the multi-link

Have a look on ebay. You can get rear wishbones for Octavia's as far back as 2004 for all engines and models so bar the earlier models they all have independent rear suspension.

The 4x4 and VRS models may differ slightly but the set-up gives a hell of a lot better drive than the solid axle

Edited by SuperbTWM

I agree, all Mk3 Octavia's 'should' have independent rear suspension, but unfortunately they don't. Neither do all Mk7 VW Golf's. You are correct that Golf's and Octavia's from 2004 had it, I used to own a 2004 Golf GT that had it, but sadly this is no longer the case. I have a Mk7 Golf brochure in my hand that clearly states on page 66 that all models with less than 122ps only get a twist beam rear axle.

• Like 1

I agree, all Mk3 Octavia's 'should' have independent rear suspension, but unfortunately they don't. Neither do all Mk7 VW Golf's. You are correct that Golf's and Octavia's from 2004 had it, I used to own a 2004 Golf GT that had it, but sadly this is no longer the case. I have a Mk7 Golf brochure in my hand that clearly states on page 66 that all models with less than 122ps only get a twist beam rear axle.

That is really interesting, The difference going from a mk4 Golf to a mk5 was like night and day. What are they going to do next? reintroduce leaf springs

Thanks for teaching me something new!

All Octavias with more than 150bhp or 4x4 gets it.

There is only one engine in Skoda that has more than 150bhp and its not a vrs.

They have done this on purpose.

And on the Golf I believe all engines with more than 140bhp get multilink.

I recon a sel for the most part, I quite like the softer suspention setup, regardless of bhp the vrs will be far better at speed, more composed. A car is only as good as the time you have to drive it with a headache.

I do think the multi link suspention ofor the vms is worth it. It really comes down to what you use the car for. I think the vrs is probably better value on some ways as the interior and general trim feels a little better, especially the seats. It's a shame it doesn't come with adaptive suspention like audi.

They don't get IRS until you get to the high powered models, 'tis the same with the Golf, the MQB "platform" can have  full IRS but mostly you'll find the "Compoundlink crank-axle" on the rear end.

DC

Depends how you want to drive...the 150 engine still offers decent performance (that said I've just put a DTUK box on it ha). I have an L&K which will be much the same in terms of driving as the SEL and it's very very good. Used to have a vRS a few years ago and don't long to have one again particularly! Go with your gut!

Mk7 Golf has IRS from 140hp....the early 1.4 TSI 140's all had IRS. Not sure if its same story for the Leon.

I have a 2.0 TDI Elegance estate and a Mk7 Golf GTD 5 door.

Not a direct comparison I know but whilst the Golf is a bit quicker (but not light years so), it also drives SOO much better.

Admittedly the Golf is probably a bit sharper than the vRS even, being a little bit better set up and shorter in the wheelbase but the vRS will be v similar.

On stock springs and with the IRS the Octavia 150 is perfectly fine but its that and only that....its not fantastic to drive. Sports suspension will no doubt help but it will always be slightly impeded by the beam rear axle from a handling standpoint.

The lack of progressive steering is v telling too...going from the GTD to the Octavia the rack feels really slow and lacks feel by comparison...not that the GTDs steering is feel-laden but its better.

I guess it depends what you want.....the 150 TDI octavia is a light car (mainly because of the lack of IRS) and consequently is decently quick for an inconspicous looking car, the SE-L spec is nice enough too but it'll be nothing like as fun or entertaining to drive as a vRS TDI. Id not chose to drive the Octavia now unless needs must....its a much better car for carting stuff around and is about the only reason I climb in the drivers seat now....and to be fair it costs me money to run it whereas the Golf doesnt :-)

One thing I really dislike on the Elegance/SE-L are the standard seats...they arent uncomfortable per se but they lack any kind of support and Im certain they contributed to an ongoing back problem Ive had for some years.

Edited by pipsypreturns
  • Like 1

Mk7 Golf has IRS from 140hp....the early 1.4 TSI 140's all had IRS. Not sure if its same story for the Leon.

I have a 2.0 TDI Elegance estate and a Mk7 Golf GTD 5 door.

Not a direct comparison I know but whilst the Golf is a bit quicker (but not light years so), it also drives SOO much better.

Admittedly the Golf is probably a bit sharper than the vRS even, being a little bit better set up and shorter in the wheelbase but the vRS will be v similar.

On stock springs and with the IRS the Octavia 150 is perfectly fine but its that and only that....its not fantastic to drive. Sports suspension will no doubt help but it will always be slightly impeded by the beam rear axle from a handling standpoint.

The lack of progressive steering is v telling too...going from the GTD to the Octavia the rack feels really slow and lacks feel by comparison...not that the GTDs steering is feel-laden but its better.

I guess it depends what you want.....the 150 TDI octavia is a light car (mainly because of the lack of IRS) and consequently is decently quick for an inconspicous looking car, the SE-L spec is nice enough too but it'll be nothing like as fun or entertaining to drive as a vRS TDI. Id not chose to drive the Octavia now unless needs must....its a much better car for carting stuff around and is about the only reason I climb in the drivers seat now....and to be fair it costs me money to run it whereas the Golf doesnt :-)

One thing I really dislike on the Elegance/SE-L are the standard seats...they arent uncomfortable per se but they lack any kind of support and Im certain they contributed to an ongoing back problem Ive had for some years.

I agree however, there is the issue of the price you pay for golf. I'm talking availability, and actual price not rrp. There is no doubt the vw is the better car but there is somthing good about the underdog.

Your far more likely to get the octavia with a better discount than say a Gtd or a gt. I happen to think the quality is slightly better as well due to the better quality parts going into audi and vw, although it only an opinion not backed up by any hard evidence.

One interesting point about irs I do think in the long run its more expensive to maintain and there's more to go wrong, there is somthing nice about the simplicity of torsion axle suspention. However I would prefer irs but I couldn't get a 4x4 in the colour and engine pre reg that I wanted so I had to settle for a se business.

It really depends on what you want.  I can't speak for the options as I'm not sure what's standard anymore as I bought in 2013.

I know the vRS TDI is not much, if any quicker, in a straight line that the 150tdi as it's heavier but from comparing my vRS to courtesy cars the handling is better and the brakes are simply in a different league.

However the vRS has an appalling ride over potholes and rough road, constantly banging, crashing and juddering although the seats make up for it so you don't really feel it it still makes me cringe.  Also the vRS has more road noise and a stupid windscreen vibrator to make it sound "sporty" (can get this turned off apparently but otherwise is pretty much the same car.

Just be aware that the vRS tdi's fuel economy can be slightly "poor".  I struggle to get 42mpg, not too bad but not as good as the 150.

I've done just under 30k miles since nov 2013 in mine and it's been brilliant, I'd be seriously considering the 4x4 next time if it wasn't for SWMBO and the fact it's IMHO too much for a Skoda.

I've done just under 30k miles since nov 2013 in mine and it's been brilliant, I'd be seriously considering the 4x4 next time if it wasn't for SWMBO and the fact it's IMHO too much for a Skoda.

What other cars would not be too expencive with 4x4?

Skoda was kind of the only option when I wanted an Estate with petrol and 4x4 without paying way too much.

What other cars would not be too expencive with 4x4?

Skoda was kind of the only option when I wanted an Estate with petrol and 4x4 without paying way too much.

As far as I know Skoda don't offer a 4x4 vRS Petrol in the UK, which is unfortunate and I wouldn't be interested in the Scout or standard Octavia.

The vRS 4x4 is not great value imho.  Specc'd up to the level of my current car it was over 30k although some dealers will give you a good deal which in my book is far too much for a Skoda especially considering it's not actually that quick and you have to have diesel with the inherent issues that brings (DPF etc).

Going through car wow etc I was offered a S3 estate for about the same as I could get the vRS however SWMBO has put her foot down and we're replacing the car with a Volvo ;(.  I might have a look next year and see about picking up a low mileage lease for something a bit more fun.

Going to to the OP I would suggest you get a test drive of the vRS and see what you think as it's a bit of a marmite car- a lot of people I take in the car hate it because of the ride and the vRS seats but others really love it, especially driving it.

Edited by gullyg