Would you choose a Vrs over a 2:0TDI SEL?

Well I really love my vRS ( petrol ) as my newest car, and wouldn't go back. I'd definitely have this over a vRS diesel or other diesel with more spec.

( I did mention earlier though I already had a diesel Skoda just for clarity )

Can't talk for the abilities of the diesel but I don't think its really fair to compare the features of the vRS against TDI, and a huge mistake to do so unless you include in discussion its best edition, the petrol! (which the OP has niether confirmed not denied interest in).

The differences are chalk and cheese between the petrol and diesel vRS and if I'm honest for me the vRS is all about power = petrol.

The diesel may be quite brisk but the petrol has monster potential !

I own a MY16 VRS tdi estate and recently had a MY16 SEL 150 tdi hatch for a week through work. Have to say I was impressed with the SEL. But once back in my VRS, it just feels a much more special car to sit in. The seats. The trim. Little touches like the carbon fibre trim and black headlining. Makes it just a little bit more exclusive to me. Also love the look of my VRS every time I walk out of my front door. I'm 6 months into ownership and I still smile every time I get behind that wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Im on my 3rd Candy White Skoda....its cheap and it wears well but unless you clean your car alot it will just look grubby all the time. I doubt ill be getting another white car for a while.

I have a Carbon Grey GTD (company car) that does alot of miles and have to say dark grey is a good colour for masking dirt in that even when its dirty from a distance it never looks too bad. Good compromise instead of Black. I think Quartz Grey is a v similar colour.

I agree however, there is the issue of the price you pay for golf. I'm talking availability, and actual price not rrp. There is no doubt the vw is the better car but there is somthing good about the underdog.

Your far more likely to get the octavia with a better discount than say a Gtd or a gt. I happen to think the quality is slightly better as well due to the better quality parts going into audi and vw, although it only an opinion not backed up by any hard evidence.

One interesting point about irs I do think in the long run its more expensive to maintain and there's more to go wrong, there is somthing nice about the simplicity of torsion axle suspention. However I would prefer irs but I couldn't get a 4x4 in the colour and engine pre reg that I wanted so I had to settle for a se business.

Agreed the Golf isnt a cheap car and I have to say parting with my own money a vRS particularly on a 0% PCP is a much more affordable option.

Cash buy perhaps a little more tricky as its fairly easy to negotiate 10% off a Golf, the GTI/GTD is a fair bit better equipped as standard...by the time you spec a vRS the same there probably isnt that much between them with discount...if you dont need the space then I hate to say it as much as I like the Octavia (and have had a couple now) the Golf is the better car.

SE-L v vRS for me.....vRS no question. I think about the only spec item id miss between the two is folding mirrors so would probably just get a manual TDI wagon with folding mirrors, probably get the winter pack too now as I have heated seats on my Golf and would desperately miss those on a cold morning.

I agree however, there is the issue of the price you pay for golf. I'm talking availability, and actual price not rrp. There is no doubt the vw is the better car but there is somthing good about the underdog.

Your far more likely to get the octavia with a better discount than say a Gtd or a gt. I happen to think the quality is slightly better as well due to the better quality parts going into audi and vw, although it only an opinion not backed up by any hard evidence.

One interesting point about irs I do think in the long run its more expensive to maintain and there's more to go wrong, there is somthing nice about the simplicity of torsion axle suspention. However I would prefer irs but I couldn't get a 4x4 in the colour and engine pre reg that I wanted so I had to settle for a se business.

Agreed the Golf isnt a cheap car and I have to say parting with my own money a vRS particularly on a 0% PCP is a much more affordable option.

Cash buy perhaps a little more tricky as its fairly easy to negotiate 10% off a Golf, the GTI/GTD is a fair bit better equipped as standard...by the time you spec a vRS the same there probably isnt that much between them with discount...if you dont need the space then I hate to say it as much as I like the Octavia (and have had a couple now) the Golf is the better car.

SE-L v vRS for me.....vRS no question. I think about the only spec item id miss between the two is folding mirrors so would probably just get a manual TDI wagon with folding mirrors, perhaps heated seats and washers too as I have heated seats/washers on my Golf and would desperately miss those on a cold morning. Quickclear screen im far less fussed about...the visible wires would get on my nuts :-)

SE-L v vRS for me.....vRS no question. I think about the only spec item id miss between the two is folding mirrors so would probably just get a manual TDI wagon with folding mirrors, perhaps heated seats and washers too as I have heated seats/washers on my Golf and would desperately miss those on a cold morning. Quickclear screen im far less fussed about...the visible wires would get on my nuts :-)

Funny you say this about the screen, my farther that has just bought a new feista zetec and they come with heated windscreen as standard, he hates the bloody thing also driving him nuts, every time he gets in it he comments on how terrible idea it is to have one in the UK. Even to to the point of removing it and putting in one from a style that doesn't have the elements in.

I have the heated screen on my vRS and I wouldn't have a car without it again.  It's brilliant and the wires are barely noticeable to me.

The silver is a lovely colour and a bit less in your face than the blue, I have Race Blue but it's a bit of a flashy colour - you get some bad reactions on the road with the vRS and I suspect the fake exhausts and the colour as the biggest factors.

Although I saw a Rallye Green hatch the other day and I'd seriously consider it - especially if it was a petrol 230 I was buying.

Thank you everyone for the input. I have driven a Vrs now and very impressed. I think it is the way to go. Now, the big decision is 'racing blue' or 'quartz grey'!!

mine is quartz grey. Not seen many VRS's in this colour at all. None near me which suits me fine. Only see two others on the M6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for the input. I have driven a Vrs now and very impressed. I think it is the way to go. Now, the big decision is 'racing blue' or 'quartz grey'!!

I've gone quartz Grey, IMO the nicest colour in the line up...don't like white I'm not a cop or taxi driver...no offence to people who like white.

I've gone quartz Grey, IMO the nicest colour in the line up...don't like white I'm not a cop or taxi driver...no offence to people who like white.

I like white and no offence taken at all... and it is good that your interest of the colour of your cars shows that you keeping in touch with your feminine side :)

For many women the colour of the car is the sole identifying feature in witness statement reports, men get every other technical detail right but often get the colour wrong.

Probably doesn't help that 10% of men suffer from some sort of colour blindness and 2% of women have an additional 'cone' (or rod?) cell that enables them to distinguish between a 100 million colours, and they can probably name every one of them lol.

My choice of Candy White was purely pragmatic, saved me $500 and when you touch a white car on a hot, sunny day here it is just uncomfortable, touch a dark car and you get 3rd degree burns.

No offence intended.

I'd probably go the vRS, it has got all the important bits that relate to driving imo.

Edited by Gerrycan