How good are the on-board satnav systems?

Sorry Andyvee, my bad. That said, a poi without a warning is not that much use in all honesty. I know where the cameras are on the routes i use regularly, but it doesn't mean i remember them while I'm humming along to my favourite tune and thinking what's for tea that night!  :notme:

Is there any stock satnav from other manufacturers with speed camera warnings?

The only ones I'm aware of are the Tomtom based units which have readily available speed camera data and can be easily updated. Idon't know of any that come fully loaded!

I have TT on my iPhone 6 and a new Amundsen MIB2 unit, in comparison the TT is way better.

1) More intuitive to use,

2) Seems more accurate,

3) Graphics when running the map are much cleaner,

4) Menus are configurable to how you want them

5) Doesnt take ages to enter a postcode - see number 4

If it wasn't free and I had to pay for it, I wouldnt be that impressed. At least Renault went to tomtom and said "we want that software in our cars".

I wait for the day smartlink will display my tomtom off the phone onto the in car display :-(

Edited by xpower

Do the Skoda systems have the same problem as the SEAT ones where they revert to Germany every now and then. I was travelling to liverpool airport last week and my Leon was convinced it was on a ring road just outside Wolfsburg!

It was mentioned in Auto Express's long term test review at http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/octavia/87898/skoda-octavia-estate-20-tdi-elegance-long-term-test-review

I have TT on my iPhone 6 and a new Amundsen MIB2 unit, in comparison the TT is way better.

1) More intuitive to use,

2) Seems more accurate,

3) Graphics when running the map are much cleaner,

4) Menus are configurable to how you want them

5) Doesnt take ages to enter a postcode - see number 4

If it wasn't free and I had to pay for it, I wouldnt be that impressed. At least Renault went to tomtom and said "we want that software in our cars".

I wait for the day smartlink will display my tomtom off the phone onto the in car display :-(

Just use Google maps

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Just use Google maps

That's fine whilst you are in a good 3G or 4G area - outside that it's useless.

I want the map on my phone as I also don't have unlimited data.

• Like 2

I find the Tom Tom far superior at re routeing and also far less map errors. However I bought my skoda with the satnav as it's convenient no wires and it links to the screen between the speedo and the Rev counter that I find useful as you don't have to take your eyes of the road as much. Also when your low on fuel it asks do you want to be rerouted to a garage which I think is a nice touch. But generally I think it's a good system I don't think I would pay another grand for the columbus though. One thing that does irritate me is the post code thing. I can seem to enter post codes, I believe it can be done but have not had the opportunity or the time to test try entering it, as when I need to use the thing I'm usually lost or late.

Edited by Alpha2110

To enter postcodes just press the "Town" bit and on the next page you will see the postcode entry button, labelled as some sort of abbreviation

Edited by Paulius55
  • Like 1

I have the Amundsen sat nav (probably the Mk 1 version) which, apart from speed limits being shown I find inferior to my TomTom system, which I use all the time. The vast majority of my journeys are less than 2 hours, so fully charged no trailing cables are needed, and as I use one of those rubber mats (excellent BTW) to hold TT secure,I have no sticky circles on the windscreen either! 

The built in sat nav came as standard - knowing what I know now, I'd never pay extra for it as an option on future cars - OK if included, but not as a separate optional extra.  IMO TomTom rules.

JKW

I find the Amundsen works well enough to be honest

Fully intergrated is always best for best control and clear information whilst driving too.

What a distraction it would be if your phone cradle or screen mount falls off whilst driving? Plus not really oriented around control whilst driving either.

I hope all of you users of alternative are factoring that in and don't touch your phones or navs whilst driving.

The built in is somewhat more intuitive and marginally more usable but even that really shouldn't be used whilst driving. Just want to press that home, particularly as I've been a multi-vehicle person having cycled, motorcycled and driven in my past, don't forget your in control of a dangerous heavy vehicle and its easy to get distracted by electronics and gizmos.

The job of a good satnav/entertainment is to keep it simple and work simply and effectively around the user/driver.

• Like 3

I never use the amundsen, I find the google maps option far better, and I've never had an issue with data coverage, so long as you have a signal when you start it seems to work fine. I did have an issue with the amundsen not recognising the phone but a better usb cable fixed that.

You do appreciate you can and would be prosecuted for using a phone whilst driving if you rely on that for nav and actually using the screen interactively when they caught you then I can't see any reason they can't argue you were using the phone ? If you happen to just have a call you also answered or text incoming you might find yourself buggered there.

I think at best for overuse of a car satnav to the point of affecting your driving would just be due care and attention.

No thanks !

Edited by vRSAnt

vRSAnt it might be worth mentioning that not everyone sticks their satnavs to the windscreen.  I sprung for an expensive Brodit system - I winced at it at the time, but I must admit it was superior to sticking things on the windscreen or sitting on dashboard sticky surface.  The Brodit brought the Satnav down to steering wheel level and in that respect was no different to clicking buttons on a radio on the very rare occasions I will admit to clicking it during a journey.  In addition I used the Satnavs Bluetooth interface with my mobile to take phone calls and it auto answered them so that was completely hands-free - it was the only way I would have even contemplated taking a call during driving as I fully support the notion that says no-mobile use whilst driving.  FWIW despite the possibility that a Satnav could fall off of a screen and cause distraction, before Brodit (BB!) I used to find that a Satnav mounted I the opposite corner to the old tax disc position worked really well.  Having used a number of different I always felt that it was easier to just glance at it when the focus point was near to my windscreen looking out point rather than when it was on the Brodit.  So although the Brodit is the robust solution I still feel there is a lot to be said for a mounting point on the bottom RH corner of the windscreen.  It remains to be seen how practical and safe a satnav feels when it is part of the in-car computer systems and only useable through the central screen location and/or the dashboard information.  At the moment I've taken the Brodit out of the current car for its sale and for the last couple of journeys have had the windscreen mount running again and I must admit I DO still like it a LOT in that location - it just feels safer to just glance at it so easily.  FWIW I think the people that should be shot are those that drive along with their windscreen mounts stuck right in the centre of their windscreens obstructing their line of sight - I see them on the motorways in long lines of traffic, if this applies to anyone reading - Please, please don't do it!!

• Like 1

Amundson on my 2014 octavia I find a great system and the maxi dot thing is brilliant. However it is chronically slow to load up, which is unacceptable really as you want to put in the destination immediately not wait ages for it to load. Once it's going it's great. I switched dynamic traffic routing off its never better than your own common sense.

I have heard that later versions of amundson my have solved the load up speed issue.

You do appreciate you can and would be prosecuted for using a phone whilst driving if you rely on that for nav and actually using the screen interactively when they caught you then I can't see any reason they can't argue you were using the phone ? If you happen to just have a call you also answered or text incoming you might find yourself buggered there.

I think at best for overuse of a car satnav to the point of affecting your driving would just be due care and attention.

No thanks !

There's no way I would even touch the phone. It stays tucked away in the console in front of the gear lever.

I wasn't aware using the head unit was an offence especially when I use voice commands. To be honest if they could make that stick then they'd have to outlaw speaking to passengers.

I don't see the difference between using Google maps and using the skoda version, both distract you from driving but then so does playing music or changing radio station.

Edited by domhnall

So I picked up my new (well new to me) car today.  It has the Amundsen system fitted.  I ran this alongside my TomTom coming home from the garage, and I must admit I am tending towards TT out of preference (it may because it is what I am used to).  Mrs Amundsen is not exactly succinct in comparison with Mrs TT is she?  More Polite - yes, I'll give her that ('please do this' and 'please do that'), but it doesn't exactly lead to succinct commands does it LOL?

Edited by OctaviaJo

I've been using TT on Android with Live Traffic for the last week on my regular commute in to work. It has now twice re-directed me round an approximately 5 minute delay into an even longer delay that it didn't know about .......

I can't tell any difference in the routing between it and the Columbus, the only advantages are the supposedly more accurate traffic info and the speed camera warnings.

• Like 1

At least Google maps highlights in colour coded form the delay and you can work out whether it's worth rerouting.

The amundsen seems to wait til I'm in a jam before announcing "caution, traffic ahead "

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Edited by domhnall

There's no way I would even touch the phone. It stays tucked away in the console in front of the gear lever.

I wasn't aware using the head unit was an offence especially when I use voice commands. To be honest if they could make that stick then they'd have to outlaw speaking to passengers.

I don't see the difference between using Google maps and using the skoda version, both distract you from driving but then so does playing music or changing radio station.

Are you talking about a mirror link stereo ? Thats a completely different story to actually using your phone directly for navigation, which is what my point addressing,

where you actually have to control the phone itself with your hands to actually work.

To be honest the mirror link situation is more or less almost the same as built in, you actually control from the stereo don't you ?

In my mind there is a complete difference between the stereo emulating or controlling the apps on the phone to bring you nav, and navigating direct from your phone itself which is where I think the trouble comes in, if you have to confirm stuff and interact directly with a phone - which you will find hard to avoid to be honest.

Otherwise, I haven't a clue how you'd manage to navigate with a phone tucked away invisible lol

I think they reported that using a phone directly whilst driving is as disorienting as being drunk didn't they, I hate to think what I'd want to do to someone who stuffed up my car who admitted something like "sorry mate, I was too busy looking at my phone".

I think I'd perhaps be held for manslaughter if I was on a bike if that happened and I was still able to move after the injury !

Yeah sorry, that's what I meant about the Google maps option, sorry wasn't clearer. Smart link. I think mirror link only allows use of sat nav if you're sitting still. Obviously that's no use

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Right you are. Nothing wrong with that used responsibly exactly same as the satnav built in once its fully paired that is.

Mind you, Google now means that you can work your phone perfectly well with just voice commands, with or without smart link

• 2 weeks later...

The Amundsen Satnav is definitely the most polite ever.  But I found after a few months use it was so, so.  Waze (available for both Android and ios) is far, far better and better than my Tomtom.  I think portrait layout is more appropriate for a satnav, but most cars are in landscape.  The only thing is my young 'un doesn't like the phone on the windscreen as it doesn't look cool!

I find the Amundsen quite OK. The fact it is built into the Maxi dot and it easy to pick recent destinations and cancel route guidance from the MFSW is awesome.

Not used voice control for navigation yet though.