Badge snobbery

I suspect both skoda and seats use parts that are in the higher tolrence bracket. This is only slight and I have no supporting evedence. But the quality is not audi or vw, but Pritty damm close.

We have a superb in the family and that is good quality, more refined than the octavia, and I would say a very grown up car.

Either way it's one of the best cars I have owned and I have only had it 2 months. I would say prestigious in this order.

BMW,MERCEDES-BENZ.

Jaguar

AUDI

Lexus

VW

Honda

Volvo

Skoda

Seat

Ford,Vauxhall,Renault,Peugeot,Citroën

I think for the same money I'm paying I could have had a Mercedes CLA. If I could get the same deal as a friend was offered for an M135I (an unbelievable 8k dealer contribution) I could have one of those too, I could have forsaken those and paid the extra for a golf R. So why didn't I? The merc was big standard and there's not a dealer for 60 miles, the BMW would cost the earth and is too small and I hate the golf with a passion, in fact I blame golfs for modern hatchback prices being acceptable.

Oh and I'm not a junior engineer for the record, maybe a good few years ago lol ;)

• Like 1

I think they are getting on for being the car of the thinking people. I also love the level of exclusivity. I have a Metal Grey VRS estate with Pictoris alloys and after six months of ownership I've only seen two others and they both had the Gemini alloys, so to date I've not seen one other the same as mine. I love that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I see it as good value, and I use it to gauge people based on their reactions - people who don't know anything about cars turn their noses up at them.

I could get a BMW, Mercedes or audi, but then I'd have less cash to save up to get a Caterham for the weekends :)

Edited by ahar
  • Like 2

I think they are a good alternative choice. The roads appear plagued with Audi's and BMWs, Mercedes which all appears to be trying 'to hard' to be aspirational. I agree that the clever choice is skoda to a certain degree.

I have seen a lot of octavias on the road as transport for field engineers and the like. They seemed to be liked as a fleet cars now for technical staff?

I see it as good value, and I use it to gauge people based on their reactions - people who don't know anything about cars turn their noses up at them.

I could get a BMW, Mercedes or audi, but then I'd have less cash to save up to get a Caterham for the weekends :)

This is my rationale only it's an lotus exige s I'm saving for.

It is just ignorant snobbery. I've a MkIII Octavia L&K (as per "brochure") and only seen two others around. While I see plenty of Octavias around in general only a handful are the same colour and all in all I've only ever gotten positive comments on the car, inside and out especially. In short, they're common enough in my area but you can still make it your own.

Besides, who would prefer the newer Passat front grille that looks like a men's razor? [emoji23]

Why would a car set someones income?

Not blowing my own trumpet but I could afford on what I earn yearly a Mercedes easily but I choose Skoda. Why = Smart.

I agree with you. I could easily afford a car which costs twice as much as my skoda. But I really dont see how they are worth it. Audi was tempting, but when I saw how mucj they charge for gadgets compared to skoda, I simply left.

• Like 1

I think for the same money I'm paying I could have had a Mercedes CLA. If I could get the same deal as a friend was offered for an M135I (an unbelievable 8k dealer contribution) I could have one of those too, I could have forsaken those and paid the extra for a golf R. So why didn't I? The merc was big standard and there's not a dealer for 60 miles, the BMW would cost the earth and is too small and I hate the golf with a passion, in fact I blame golfs for modern hatchback prices being acceptable.

Oh and I'm not a junior engineer for the record, maybe a good few years ago lol ;)

I think few people pay full price for skoda, if you use the rrp price of a skoda then compare to a small bmw there bound to be on a par, but you have to compare apples with apples.what's the bmw equivalent to a superb, 5 series? If you get a top spec 2.0l one with all the stuff a l@k has its way more expensive, the same goes for merc.

Skoda have done a lot to improve the brand image. When I started driving the Skoda dealer was most likely a family run garage in a village. The clients new nothing about cars, and the dealers didn't want the hassle of selling more vehicles.

Over 20 years the dealers have gone mainstream. They now try to sell cars, and are bright light clean showrooms with all the oily bits well hidden round the back.

In that repect Skoda as a brand has similarities with Honda. A brand for the comfortable middle class. Middle aged "user, chooser" types who want quality and reliability over badge prestige.

The OP asked about the MK3 Octavia. I think it has replaced the Ford Sierra an Vauxhall Cavalier as a solid workhorse for the mddle class mid level white collar buyer. The second hand market (or very cheap finance) feeds the private hire market. The model has halo versions, like the VRS and the L&K, but these do not move the whole range into a new segment.

The previous comment about Saab is interesting. The VRS is on the cusp of becoming the new Saab 900. Beloved of architects and a bit quirky. All it needs is a convertible to fully claim the crown.

Currently I'm moving cars around the country for a "job". The guys that drive us to the pick ups are due Superberb replacement cars. These are usually ex mechanics or at least from the motor trade, and they can't wait....

When I had my Octavia vRS, I had so many discussions with people, trying to convince them it was basically a VW.

Lots just would not entertain it and said but it's still a "Skoda" irrespective of the VAG stickers/labels on everything.

I enjoyed it, only got the Golf R because Skoda did not have anything over 220bhp or so at the time.

So it was the R or an Audi S3 but found local Audi dealer looked down there nose at me in my £8 matalan jeans (have no interest in clothes as long as they are clean and fit).

Lots of my friends now say, at last you bought a proper VAG car but its not a badge thing for me.

Skoda have only been available in Australia for about 8 years (under VW ownership) and while their sales are increasing every year they have not really made an impact on the market.

Older heads remember the bad old days when (communist) Skoda sold their products here and some of the really old heads remember the pre communist era products.

So non motor enthusiasts have little idea about Skoda, or are very wary while knowledgeable people have a suspicion there is something good happening.

Most of the tv adverts shown here are just of European origin and frankly, while I appreciate their creativity, they are a little weird for a 'new' brand trying to establish itself here.

There is nothing like the price differentiation between VW products and its equivalent Skoda that exists in the UK so Skoda are selling here mostly on the merits (or otherwise) of their product.

I purchased the first Skoda vehicle sold in South Australia, which might have seemed like a act of faith, or stupidity, but my research had shown it had a far better reliability rating in several countries including Germany than VW. The Octavia Mk2 was a far better estate than the Mk5 Golf and I wanted a diesel without a dpf fitted (the 1,9d model).

The alternative diesels I was considering were: a Renault Megane but it was not available in estate versions, was made in Turkey and had poor reliability reports; a Ford Focus diesel, made in South Africa, drove well but really cheap finished interior; a Ford Mondeo, big, well finished drove well but relatively pricy in the high spec diesel versions and ground clearance seemed very low (for dirt roads). The Octavia was therfore my 'Goldilocks' car and I never regretted the purchase.

Word of mouth is raising the Skoda profile and I am definitely seeing more on the road but mostly of the Octavia 2 and 3.

The styling of the original Superb and the Roomster were just too out there for Australian tastes. I was not allowed to even consider the Roomster by my family.

The more acceptable styling of the new FAbia, Octavia and soon to arrive Superb should see further sales and more respect for the brand here.

I travel the country up and down on a day to day basis! 65k a year. The most common cars on the road today behind vauxhall/ford are BMW, audi and mercs, I have a vrs mk3 tsi and can clearly tell the difference from the back (2 backboxes) between the tsi and tdi, so obviously taking notice when I see one I usually have a gander and I average seeing an octavia vrs about once a day and I see millions of cars, and should one pass me on motorway I check and it's always a tdi... I've only been behind 2 tsi vrs since I've owned mine for 10 months. I actually see more AMG 63 mercs and golf Rs than I do octavia vrs. I wouldn't call that a common car in fact there's not too many about.

I think they are a good alternative choice. The roads appear plagued with Audi's and BMWs, Mercedes which all appears to be trying 'to hard' to be aspirational. I agree that the clever choice is skoda to a certain degree.

I have seen a lot of octavias on the road as transport for field engineers and the like. They seemed to be liked as a fleet cars now for technical staff?

My Dad uses Octavia's for the fleet he manages, they're reliable, cost effective and big enough for the job. popular with the drivers too!

Dads actually the reason I switched to Skoda, I've had 3 from new and they all been pretty faultless. Pickup my 4th on Monday

Edited by LewJo
  • Like 1

Middle of the road, moderate income, junior engineer position car

Retired Chartered Surveyor, late 60's, previous cars too numerous to list (favourites would have to be the 5 Caterham Sevens owned over the years)

I like the look of the car for what it is and couldn't give a stuff what anyone else thinks. If they want to pay way more for a VW or Audi and basically get the same car under the skin I say let them....  :clap:

• Like 3

I like the look of the car for what it is and couldn't give a stuff what anyone else thinks. If they want to pay way more for a VW or Audi and basically get the same car under the skin I say let them....  :clap:

Well said !

• Like 1

Here in New Zealand there has been a change in attitude towards Skoda.

There are certainly people with memories of Skoda's low-tech rear drive cars from the 1970s and I still get some teasing for driving a Skoda but there is growing recognition that Skoda now makes very good cars. The New Zealand motoring media are very positive about Skoda.

Just today there was an online article about a classic 1960's Skoda:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/customs-classics/77765130/happy-birthday-to-skodas-radical-rearengine-reardrive-1000-mbx-coupe

An interesting piece of Skoda history - but the article was also interesting for its comments on current Skoda's:

"Just in case you thought cool Skodas were a recent thing: this month marks the 50th anniversary of the unveiling of the now-iconic 1000 MBX two-door."

and

"Volkswagen was chosen as a partner for Skoda in 1990 and took over completely in 2000. It's been a long road back, but the company is now producing cars of engineering and styling excellence again. Albeit nothing quite as cool as the 1000 MBX of 1966."

Edited by kiwiboy

Skoda in general aren't a million miles away price wise from there equivalent, vw and audi counterparts. I do think the extra money goes into producing a slightly higher quality car.

It's a myth calling them the same car, even mqb platform cars only use Base technology, there is more to a car than engine, gearbox and electronics. For example think of bulkhead sound proofing that the Skoda doesn't have a lot off, or inferior suspention components. This stuff costs money so I believe you get a better car with the vw and audi. Whether this is important to you, in my case not, I can live with it. My boss worked for vw in wolfsberg, so I hear a lot of first hand experiences from someone who worked on a engineering team.

Edited by Alpha2110
  • Like 1

Retired bank manager, mid 60s, previously drove a Saab.

But that's just me.

Actually... It is not just you ;)

I am 43, a team lead, previously drove a Saab 9-3 Aero (the V6 one...) and am very happy with my Octavia vRS TSi.

I couldn't give a rats ass what anyone thinks of what I drive provided I like the car.

As was said in the thread, all my petrolhead friends, without exceptions, have approved and been enthusiastic about the car.

It has a bit of a similar vibe to the Saab in terms of aura, but the brand value is a bit far.

I know a guy who drives a BMW 520d, which is a crap car, and he is an obnoxious arrogant **** - people like him are enough to put me off of an entire brand.

I recently test drove a BMW 428i and a BMW 335i and... Dare I say it, the Skoda doesn't owe them much - more spacious and comfortable for sure...