Carrying "stuff" safely in Kombi

Hi all,

I've had my Superb II Kombi about 2.5 months now and love it.  

We like it so much we have decided to take it on our summer holiday!  So it will be a drive from Glasgow to Newcastle, ferry to Amsterdam, then a drive from Amsterdam to NW Germany (lower Saxony).  Car gets a decent run every work day (about 70 miles all in) but looking forward to this trip.  

Id appreciate any advice on these, as we will be carrying a lot of luggage and "stuff" (we have a baby daughter, who requires masses of stuff to be carried around with her at all times).

1) can you get a cargo barrier or something to divide the luggage area from the passenger area?  If you had a bump, might not bags or cases fly from the boot into the passenger area?  

2) I seem to have 'things' installed my boot, (2nd hand car) which you can apparently use to secure luggage, but not looked into it yet (too busy enJoying driving the car) - are these are good? Surely it just stops luggage moving about the boot floor, but not taking off?

3) I have a liftable boot floor, under which resides the spare wheel.  The 'things' from (2) above seem attached to the liftable floor, on some kind of rails.  Could these rails be used to bungee cord stuff down?

4) Do my boot features as above preclude me using a boot liner or tray?

Thanks for any help!

I'd be really surprised if anything took a jump from the boot into the passenger compartment, especially if the tonneau cover is in place. If you're really worried about it, you could install a dog guard - your Skoda dealer should be able to supply one for you. It's item number one here: http://www.partsbase.org/skoda/superb-sup-eu-2012-01710-genuine-accessories-partition-sun-vizors/

I'm guessing your Combi has the luggage securing rails with the securing kit (bar and strap). These will stop things moving front/rear or side/side. The strap might be able to hold light objects enough to stop them jumping. There are loads of luggage securing eyelets in the boot which could be used with bungee cords or lightweight ratchet straps to keep things in place. Skoda supply a net system too: http://www.partsbase.org/skoda/superb-sup-eu-2012-86789-luggage-compartment-cover/

Skoda supply a boot liner that's compatible with the rail system.

• Like 1

They are a great car for long journeys. We just did 1200kms over the weekend and loved it. Like you I am careful about safety and in particular keeping things in the boot if we had an accident (two young boys in boosters seats in the back). I think your car should have come with the extendable 'net partition' that extends from behind the seats and attaches the the roof. Also behind this should be a retractable luggage cover that goes horizontal to the rear. The net is the important one for safety. I'd be asking the previous owner for this.

Net partition:

tech-boot-b11-partition-net-s-fabia-room

The fittings you have on the boot floor are quite clever but I've not really found them much use. There is an extendable alloy/plastic silver divider that allows you to 'section off' the boot floor. There is a 'seat belt' material one that does a similar job, and lastly there is a stretchy net. If this is big enough it provides some security for smaller items in the boot getting thrown around. But its unlikely to cover a boot full of holiday gear. The net can be use to hold items to the floor, the sides of the boot or used as a partition across the boot.

In summary, the net partition is the only thing I keep installed at all times to protect passengers from flying stuff in the boot.

Not sure about the boot liner question, but I am sure someone will have an answer. Happy travels!

Edited by williamshatnerspants

I was dissapointed with the skoda regarding load security, on my mondeo estate it has various fittings / /recesses in the roof lining sides built in so you can fit their retractable net load guard . The only way to sort it in skoda is to fit this horrible metal guard

I have the luggage bar (retractable aluminum), the retractable nylon 'seat belt' divider, false floor, full net kit (for use with all the tie down loops and extendable hooks around the load bay) and the very useful Velcro securing tab kit. I also have the retractable load netting (like the old w124 Mercedes estates) that has a retractable load cover plus the soft extending net guard to the roof if needed (as shown above). There is a metal guard available I believe.

These all came with my car (that was bought second hand) but I find them all very useful. I think the car is pretty well equipped for tying down loads etc.

Superskoda sells most of these bits except the retractable luggage cover (they used to sell the aluminum and nylon belt luggage bar kit but not seen them for a while...plenty on EBay though as they are exactly the same as the Audi A6 estate kit (bars, netting set) e.g.

A6_boot.jpg

Edited to add link to Superskoda site For netting systems and cargo mats/trays here:

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/SUPERB-II/Netting-systems/

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/SUPERB-II/Floor-mats-Carpets/

Dave

Edited by Wile7

I have a Barjo Load Guard for sale, it need no bolts or screws to fit and can easily be removed when not needed. It is in excellent condition, and originally cost £180 I'm asking £60 for it collected from the PE19 area. If you want it shipping I would need to check costs. PM me for more details,

http://store.barjo.co.uk/pdfs/Fitting%20-%20Dog%20Guard%20-%20Seat%20Lock.pdf

I was dissapointed with the skoda regarding load security, on my mondeo estate it has various fittings / /recesses in the roof lining sides built in so you can fit their retractable net load guard . The only way to sort it in skoda is to fit this horrible metal guard

I'm surprised. All of the combis I have seen in New Zealand have the retractable net you mention. Was this just an option on UK cars?

I had that net in my Octavia when I bought it. Actually I never had a need for that (I often carry a lot of luggage) and after some while I simply removed it. As nobody was interested to buy it even for some little money, I gave it away for free.

So, the main idea is:

1) remove that false floor. I'm not sure if everything is the same for Superb as it is in the Octavia case (nothing between the false floor and mat covering spare wheel). You will get plenty of space.

2) think before you load your car. Put everything wisely so nothing turns around in curves. Then you will be able to drive with no problems and no need for dividing net at all.

I'm surprised. All of the combis I have seen in New Zealand have the retractable net you mention. Was this just an option on UK cars?

Unfortunately , not standard. I'm not sure if it was even an option in the Uk. Others may know.

• Like 1

How does it fix to the roof ? There's no fixing places at all on mine.you would have to cut the headlining to fit some

Hi, if you look at the photo in my post above you'll see the factory plastic fittings where the net connect to. I'm guessing these are not standard in UK models either.

no it's completely flush which for an estate /combi is either  short sighted or a scam by VAG to get more money out of you. The mondeo comes with fittings but without the vertical load protector which you have to buy

Edited by terrytowelling
  • Like 1

Not available even as an option in the UK :-(

I had the dog guard fitted, despite no dog, as I often carry kit that goes above seat hight and did not want the risk of items hitting rear passengers in a crash

Edited by sadgit1
  • Like 1

Hi all,

I've had my Superb II Kombi about 2.5 months now and love it.  

We like it so much we have decided to take it on our summer holiday!  So it will be a drive from Glasgow to Newcastle, ferry to Amsterdam, then a drive from Amsterdam to NW Germany (lower Saxony).  Car gets a decent run every work day (about 70 miles all in) but looking forward to this trip.  

Id appreciate any advice on these, as we will be carrying a lot of luggage and "stuff" (we have a baby daughter, who requires masses of stuff to be carried around with her at all times).

1) can you get a cargo barrier or something to divide the luggage area from the passenger area?  If you had a bump, might not bags or cases fly from the boot into the passenger area?  

2) I seem to have 'things' installed my boot, (2nd hand car) which you can apparently use to secure luggage, but not looked into it yet (too busy enJoying driving the car) - are these are good? Surely it just stops luggage moving about the boot floor, but not taking off?

3) I have a liftable boot floor, under which resides the spare wheel.  The 'things' from (2) above seem attached to the liftable floor, on some kind of rails.  Could these rails be used to bungee cord stuff down?

4) Do my boot features as above preclude me using a boot liner or tray?

Thanks for any help!

Just seen this in the 'for sale' section if it's of any use? Luggage guard for Superb estate:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/392648-barjo-loaddog-guard-superb-mk11-estate/?hl=%2Bsuperb

Dave

• Like 1