2018 facelift prediction thread

And a "Simply Clever" option i would build is the built-in dashcam using the front camera. Extra hardware cost would be an extra HD, I assume the resolution of the camera is adequate enough as it can also read road-signs etc.

It's the way of the future. They will all have them built-in eventually. Skoda could lead and be the first

• Like 3

It's the way of the future. They will all have them built-in eventually. Skoda could lead and be the first

I wouldn't be surprised if eg. Tesla "secretly" already does this. Considering they need to know exactly what happens to cover the coming lawsuits for the autopilot feature. I suppose all cars which have built-in frontfacing cameras already have it built in, but they probably hit some "privacy"-issue which would be why it's not activated yet. The extra cost would be very low and I don't think none of the manufacturers realized they have a built-in dashcam at their fingertips...

Maybe someone who owns a Tesla could enlighten us if they had to sign a form which says: "Tesla is allowed to use all images recorded by the car..."

Edited by sandervdw

Citroën already have a model with dashcam. The C3 I think.

• Like 1

Citroën is also a brand which has the most absurd options :) I've had one with built-in air-freshner (which took me weeks to realize what the button did).

You are correct. An inbuilt dash cam would be ace idea and an option I would tick up to £300 as currently looking to fit front and rear cameras at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Having just spent 2 weeks on holiday driving a rent-a-car (BMW X5) with head-up display, I must say I now feel 'deprived' on the toy count. It’s a rather cool feature and will have to be on my next car, Skoda or otherwise.

Incidentally, I was otherwise less than impressed by the X5 (35i – 300hp), which felt quite wallowing and anything but spritely while the gear selector was endlessly annoying. I’ll have my Superb 280 over that any day of the week (but with HUD, please).

• 4 weeks later...

With diesel now  under threat for use in towns and cities on a w/wide basis I  anticipate a swing away from diesel back to petrol and with great emphasis on more efficiency, both in terms of  exhaust content and m p g. In advertising material diesel  models are still stated as the ones most likely to be the most chosen by purchasers  but I seriously wonder if that will be the case. If so, heads in sand springs to mind.

With diesel now  under threat for use in towns and cities on a w/wide basis I  anticipate a swing away from diesel back to petrol and with great emphasis on more efficiency, both in terms of  exhaust content and m p g. In advertising material diesel  models are still stated as the ones most likely to be the most chosen by purchasers  but I seriously wonder if that will be the case. If so, heads in sand springs to mind.

Let's hope that those of us that went petrol also benefit from reduced VED to in the same way as the "clean" diesels do; its a joke that I pay £87.00 a year VED for my motorcycle when people pay £30.00 or less for a diesel car!

Edited by Prykey

Let's hope that those of us that went petrol also benefit from reduced VED to in the same way as the "clean" diesels do; its a joke that I pay £87.00 a year VED for my motorcycle when people pay £30.00 or less for a diesel car!

I agree, and many diesel cars pay no R F L at all, any with emissions less than 100  pay nothing, and the number is increasing, even Mercedes have jumped on the bandwagon.

Having been on in Europe recently, where petrol is dearer than diesel, including 25% dearer in the Netherlands, I don't see petrol cars being a big seller in Europe.

When the diesel purge gets underway,  then it may well bring about the  swing back to Petrol. Have not France and Germany already said they will ban diesels from  towns and cities, so if you can't  use your car ( or van ) in those places, that restricts  greatly those who would buy a vehicle they can't use.

When the diesel purge gets underway,  then it may well bring about the  swing back to Petrol. Have not France and Germany already said they will ban diesels from  towns and cities, so if you can't  use your car ( or van ) in those places, that restricts  greatly those who would buy a vehicle they can't use.

To the point and I might add that diesel engines are becoming more and more expensive to build due to the emission limits. Some Asian manufacturers are allready giving up on diesels and we are also seeing Germans putting more and more effort on hybrids and electric cars...

• Like 1

That ban is only happening for older Diesel cars (also in Belgium btw) without DPF. Belgium used to be one of the countries where Diesel had a massive advantage over petrol. After dieselgate we saw a little shift, but nothing to dramatic. In a couple of years the government want to equal the taxes between petrol and diesel which should cause a shift in the market. However, we have a lot of company cars which will always be diesels.

The only way I can see this changing is by cars like the BMW 330e and Mercedes C350e, because they deliver massive power with low emissions.

That ban is only happening for older Diesel cars (also in Belgium btw) without DPF. Belgium used to be one of the countries where Diesel had a massive advantage over petrol. After dieselgate we saw a little shift, but nothing to dramatic. In a couple of years the government want to equal the taxes between petrol and diesel which should cause a shift in the market. However, we have a lot of company cars which will always be diesels.

The only way I can see this changing is by cars like the BMW 330e and Mercedes C350e, because they deliver massive power with low emissions.

Thanks  but my car has dpf  and requires the software   changes  V A G have come up  with. I am under the impression all diesels will get clobbered , the L B of Islington  started the ball rolling in UK by doubling the parking Permits charges for diesel vehicles and as far as I am aware, ALL diesels, no exemption for  dpf fitted ones. Other towns and cities may well follow.  Diesels even when fitted with dpf's apparently have emissions far too high?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

OK, so I had an order placed for Superb Est SE L Exec, due for June 9th delivery.

Just got an email today, saying that it was going into production on June 12th ready for end of June delivery, because Skoda have delayed orders to upgrade them to 2018 specs which includes:

MY18 upgrades

Launch of new glass design for infotainment system

• Enlargement of Columbus screen 8-inch at 9.2-inch

Launch of SmartLink+ (Standard for all models)

• SmartGate + SmartLink = SmartLink+

SmartLink phone integration now incorporates further connectivity with the introduction of SmartLink+, which enables the infotainment system to communicate with smartphone applications via Wi-Fi – sharing information with smartphones such as driving data, fuel economy and efficiency.

In car communication (ICC) - Now standard from SE trim

• An improved communication between passengers within a vehicle through microphone MIB infotainment and rear loudspeakers by extracting the driver’s voice from cabin noise and playing the enhanced speech from rear-speakers
  • The ICC is always active. A user can set the voice volume (or turn the function off) via a slider in the volume settings

CareConnect

Now standard across the Superb range (one year). Enables online remote access of the vehicle and proactive servicing.

Emergency Call - now standard across Superb

If the airbag control unit reports major accident the vehicle automatically initiates a connection to the ŠKODA Emergency Centre. The system also transmits data about the vehicle position, the direction of travel, the number of passengers and the seriousness of the collision. The driver or passenger can also call for help themselves by pressing a button, for example if they witness another vehicle having an accident. This feature delivers prompt professional emergency assistance. Contact is maintained with customers via voice connection until the arrival of emergency services.

Superb models with duel zone air conditioning now feature ‘AIR CARE’ label.

Hope that helps someone, no mention of any other changes.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DJ_Sly_Sy said:

MY18 upgrades

Launch of new glass design for infotainment system

• Enlargement of Columbus screen 8-inch at 9.2-inch

Does anyone know if the viewable area of the new screen is actually any larger? I'm just wondering if the extra 1.2 inches simply allows for the soft buttons, rather than a truly larger display?

The price seems lower too.....can't find a TV under the L&K on the build your own system, but the nearest spec I can get to appears to be £3k less than mine was quoted at.  Škoda reacting to the UK VED changes perhaps?

6 hours ago, DJ_Sly_Sy said:

Hope that helps someone, no mention of any other changes.

Thanks a lot for the great valuable info, it helps a lot in getting more details on upcoming changes. I hope you don't mind that I've posted a link to your post above in the thread dedicated to the MY18 changes.

This is the head unit that I saw in the new kodiaq and the face-lifted octavia in the dealer last week. No push buttons anymore all touch screen. Hard to say if the screen was larger though.

Screenshot_20170505-073000.png

On 25/09/2016 at 10:12, philpix said:

VW have laid out their future

Petrol hybrid followed by full Ev

Diesel is not in their future planning

Had a ride in a VW Passat taxi in Germany about a month ago. I was struck by 1) the very high-end infotainment system – got me bigtime jealous – and 2) the power. The driver told me it was a high-power hybrid that VW was ‘giving’ to taxi companies for real-world, long-term testing. Unfortunately, I had good reason for taking a taxi as I might not have been in the best shape to ask more searching questions. :blush 

Incidentally, I saw that VW now offers the 280ps TSI on the Passat in Germany as well (not UK). Has that engine been in unexpectedly good demand in the Superb, one must wonder.

Yes, the world’s moving away from diesel…

On 5/4/2017 at 14:24, DJ_Sly_Sy said:

[snip]
Launch of SmartLink+ (Standard for all models)

• SmartGate + SmartLink = SmartLink+

SmartLink phone integration now incorporates further connectivity with the introduction of SmartLink+, which enables the infotainment system to communicate with smartphone applications via Wi-Fi – sharing information with smartphones such as driving data, fuel economy and efficiency.

[snip]

Interesting - The current Smartlink and smart gate cannot be used together. As soon at the phone connects to Smartlink wia the USB the WIFI signal cuts and no more SmartGate.