Beat my MPG

Interesting if anyone has got a mpg this "good".

2013 vRS TDI manual estate with 29k miles on the clock. SWMBO has been using the car to go to work over the last few weeks as I've been working from home so it's only a few miles of country back roads, all 50/60 mph limits although it's probably too twisty to do that.

Filled the car on Sunday 13th and again just now. Mileage 56.8miles from the trip computer, fuel used 20.22 litres top to top of shell vpower diesel.

Mpg.... 12.77!

Edited by gullyg
  • Like 4

Is that the 2L 177ps engine.

My Passat has it and I ran it from Winchester to Chieveley and back last evening, 99.75% on cruise and the maxi. said 66mpg.

SWMBO does have a bike but she's only just started using it due to the sunset/sunrise times.

It's the 184 diesel. The oil was fine on Saturday when I checked it last - car never seems to use any.

The car is back to normal now I'm back in the office (also took it for an italian tuneup last night - didn't really mean to but had a boy racer in a civic up my backside, until I got bored of him) - done about 70 miles and the fuel gauge is still well over 3/4 of a tank rather than the 2/3s for 56m the other day.

It's just almost three weeks of short runs playing havoc With the dpf I reckon.

Don't buy a diesel for low mileage ;)

• Like 1

The oil was fine on Saturday when I checked it last - car never seems to use any.

Just as long as the oil level isn't going up!

"DPFs also have an 'active' cycle where additional fuel is injected into the combustion chambers to create hotter than normal exhaust gases to burn off particulates in the DPF. However, this does not always work, particularly if the car has done a high proportion of short runs from cold starts and instead of burning off the particulate the extra fuel can instead find its way into the engine sump, contaminating the lube oil and sometimes leading to such a rise in sump oil level that the engine can start to run uncontrollably on its sump oil and will self-destruct."

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/diesel-particulate-filters/

Just as long as the oil level isn't going up!

"DPFs also have an 'active' cycle where additional fuel is injected into the combustion chambers to create hotter than normal exhaust gases to burn off particulates in the DPF. However, this does not always work, particularly if the car has done a high proportion of short runs from cold starts and instead of burning off the particulate the extra fuel can instead find its way into the engine sump, contaminating the lube oil and sometimes leading to such a rise in sump oil level that the engine can start to run uncontrollably on its sump oil and will self-destruct."

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/diesel-particulate-filters/

This.

Does the dipstick have an "X" mark on it above the "Max" level? If so, should the oil level ever reach the "X" you need to have your oil replaced, although personally if it starts to go noticeably above the Max level, I would have it changed long before it gets to the "X."

I'm getting calculated  40MPG and that's on 40 miles commute per day 60% Stop start and 40% motorway after 1000 miles. I am not driving like a nun but not driving like I stole it either.

1-2 regens a tank from what I am noticing at the moment.

This.

Does the dipstick have an "X" mark on it above the "Max" level? If so, should the oil level ever reach the "X" you need to have your oil replaced, although personally if it starts to go noticeably above the Max level, I would have it changed long before it gets to the "X."

Never noticed one but doesn't mean there isn't. It's smack bank in the middle of the max/min and pretty much always has been.

The cars oil level never moves other than when it gets changed. In almost 30k miles I don't like its burnt more than a few 100ml.

Surely just 56 miles isn't enough to judge? There's probably just a couple of litres difference in how much fuel you got in one time compared to the next.

56 miles used 20odd litres of fuel.

My normal usage gives me about 42mpg. So 42mpg is about 9miles per litre so 6 or 7ish litres for 56 miles

7 litres versus 20

You have to watch that on some occasions when the tank seems to need more fuel than expected you were not venting the tank that particular time.

Sometimes different drivers get pretty much the same MPG when driving and you wonder why the fuel consumption can be so high, 

then you find that they drive normally, but might sit stationary chatting on phones or while waiting and dropping people off and the engine is left running.

Then you are going no place & getting zero mile per gallon, 

but the computers average use drops and 11-12 mpg AVG can show rather easily.

Yeah this is just constant interrupted regens I reckon.

Almost three weeks of a couple of miles each way, constant regens when coming home (fans going like crazy when she parked up) and probably to work as well.

I've not filled up since the above but judging my the fuel gauge the usage is back to normal. Certainly no more constant regen and sluggish performance. I've got the car booked in for a unrelated issue (broken stereo again) next week so I'll ask them to check if there's any errors but I don't think there's any fault.

I really wonder whether this particular Diesel engine would be a no no even if you were doing short runs most of the week plus maybe one long run a week / fortnight.

I've a friend with a Volvo XC60 and that has no issues doing short runs almost all the time (specifically asked as we're looking to replace the Skoda with an xc60). I've also not heard any complaints from the couple of people I know with diesel bmws on low mileage either but never asked specifically - everyone else either does long mileage, petrol or no dpf.

Edited by gullyg
  • Like 1

By way of an update.  SWMBO filled up today (using my CC ;))

223.5miles, 22.34litres of fuel.  Which put the car back to 45mpg, what a difference a bit of driving makes.

:)

Italian tune up plus a few trips to and from my work.

Edited by gullyg

My diesel doesn't do many miles. Usually just local journeys but with the odd long distance journey. Quite often though just doing short 5 miles stints. Trip computer showing just over 50mpg since purchase which by my calculations is fairly accurate. Saying that, last time the car started doing a regen, instead of heading straight home I went for a burst up the motorway just to get the regeneration out of the cars system.

Your wife has obviously taken it to extremes.

Interesting if anyone has got a mpg this "good".

2013 vRS TDI manual estate with 29k miles on the clock. SWMBO has been using the car to go to work over the last few weeks as I've been working from home so it's only a few miles of country back roads, all 50/60 mph limits although it's probably too twisty to do that.

Filled the car on Sunday 13th and again just now. Mileage 56.8miles from the trip computer, fuel used 20.22 litres top to top of shell vpower diesel.

Mpg.... 12.77!

With the low number of miles done the fuel pump full "click" point may be significant.  If the previous tank wasn't quite as full.....

Possibly is as it would certainly impact on mpg. However I have seen mpg drop to mid to low 20s when SWMBO has had the car between Christmas and new year so although 13 is much worse it's not a massive surprise considering the constant interrupted regens and her having it 3 weeks.

One plus point: she's now not considering a diesel for a 2nd car. We were looking at S1s over the weekend although will need to wait a while after we get rid of the octy for that.

It's amazing who much you save with only one car. Another thing which we never considered when going down to one was the lost of NCB due to lack of use.

Car is in the dealers on Friday for another list of separate issues so I've asked them to scan for fault codes etc just incase there's an issue.

Edited by gullyg