Beat my MPG

Just did a little informal service on mine and it isn't just low fuel consumption.

Mine seems to use nothing except fuel and screenwash. Oil level doesn't change, air in tyres seems constant, and the readout for overall mpg from new is just over 40. Considering that about 95% of my (low) mlieage is chugging round bumpy congested town streets from cold starts, with an average journey length of about 3 miles, that isn't bad!

• 2 months later...

I've also not heard any complaints from the couple of people I know with diesel bmws on low mileage either but never asked specifically - everyone else either does long mileage, petrol or no dpf.

Quite the contrary! The 2 litre diesel BMW engine is really pretty terrible with DPF issues. It's rated as one of the very worst engines for clogged DPFs.

No warning lights, no real idea when it's doing a regen or not, nothing. Just a motorway breakdown with SWMBO and a 3 year old in the car, a blown turbo due to oil starved bearings, 97% clogged DPF and 92% clogged inlet manifold. Leading to a hairline crack in the block!! Seemingly due to a glow plug fault caused by something to do with the DPF not regenning like it should l which in turn stopped the ECU from doing regens full stop. £8000 bill...! Sytner High Wycombe swallowed the entire bill in the end, but a horrible lesson!

Or maybe that was just my bad luck!!

Anyway...! My point, the small engines BMWs are horrific for shortish journey DPF issues!

After 4K I'm getting 42MPG, 1 regen per tank normally.

Commute is 20miles normally 50-70 mins. Going in the way is quite clear but mostly 30MPH zones, Stop start on way home for near enough 10 miles but finishing last 7 on Motorway.

Seriously considering a Petrol next time, looking at either a TT or a 1series M Sport BMW or Volvo T2/3 maybe.

Maybe your better half just reset the mileage counter on the dash at some point and you took it as a truth?

Try looking up the 'since refilling' stats under the 'car' menu (if she hasn't reset those too).

Had my vRS Diesel since 10th May and have covered 3.1k miles - average 51.2 MPG and I don't drive like a Nun either!

Most trips are to Northampton and back so nearly 300 miles round trip via M25 and M11, so ave speed approx. 60MPH.

Having said that, I went to a meeting at Heathrow last week and had plenty of time to get there so set the cruise at 70 MPH at returned an av 60 MPG!!.........

20160608_1024411_zpsyxebidih.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

2014 vrs tdi. One way trip to work mainly motorway with a few a roads.

File too big it was 26 miles, 70.6mpg....in 36 mins

Changed route and now see about 50MPG on the computer when I get to work, that is NO MOTORWAY and 30MPH (for 55%), 40MPH (for 35%) and 50MPH (for 10%) of 20 mile comute  :envy: .

Coming home is worse with stop/start A406 and motorway, lucky if I see 45MPG  :x

Overall MPG is getting better now I've got almost 5K on the clock.

Edited by davitc

Changed route and now see about 50MPG on the computer when I get to work, that is NO MOTORWAY and 30MPH (for 55%), 40MPH (for 35%) and 50MPH (for 10%) of 20 mile comute :envy: .

Coming home is worse with stop/start A406 and motorway, lucky if I see 45MPG :x

Overall MPG is getting better now I've got almost 5K on the clock.

That's about the same if not slightly less than what in getting on my 1.0TSI DSG around town in stop/start traffic!

Diesels really don't like urban roads!

• Like 1

Blimey is the mpg that poor? I'm getting a VRS TDi to replace my BMW 330d to save some money!!

Mine was especially poor cause of the dpf. I'm expecting something similar on this tank as SWMBO has had the car for the last 2 weeks. Every night when she comes back the fans are running at full speed.

We don't get any more than 45 max although some people get more VW lied a lot more than other companies with regards to MPG figures.

Blimey is the mpg that poor? I'm getting a VRS TDi to replace my BMW 330d to save some money!!

I have a vRS diesel & 320d.

I get better fuel economy from the vRS ~ 5l/100km vs 5.5l for the BMW for the same useage. Both have around 60k km on them.

On my 38 mile round trip to work and back which is probably 30 miles of motorway it's near impossible to get worse than 50 mpg... 55pmg is pretty normal for mine with the occasional 58....

On my 38 mile round trip to work and back which is probably 30 miles of motorway it's near impossible to get worse than 50 mpg... 55pmg is pretty normal for mine with the occasional 58....

That sounds promising! Looking to upgrade to an O3 VRS soon and can't decide whether to go TSI or TDI.  I do 45 miles a day, 40 of which is probably motorway. My O2 VRS TSI can get about 40mpg on this commute, so I'd need at least 50mpg to seriously consider the TDI.

Never managed any more than 43mpg in my 2.0TDI VRS.

I've posted elsewhere on this forum about giving the deeds to my wife's doll's house to anyone who gets the advertised mpg out of their VRS.

• Like 1

Having said that, I went to a meeting at Heathrow last week and had plenty of time to get there so set the cruise at 70 MPH at returned an av 60 MPG!!.........

You must of picked the right time to travel, the only time I've known the M25 on the west side to be not like a car park is about 11pm on a sunday night  :envy: . Mind you with the variable speed limit it is jus about right to set the Cruise at err 70MPH and sit back and relax.

Edited by davitc

How about this... ~ 30,000 kms on clock.   Tank top-to-top over 3,063 kms along French/Spanish/Portuguese non-toll roads (often in Spain on the original yet quite new dual carriageways with little traffic). Now with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tyres

Data 

3063 km, 133.55 litres fuel, 4.36 l/100 km or 53.95 mph.   Often averaging ~ 70 km/hr on visual trip output.  Ordinary fuel from supermarkets.

Not too bad.  

Yet, from new (April 2015) on all journeys long and short: average = 45.03 mph

With the initial France to UK round trip of 5,200 kms at 36.13 mph (often prudently fast on motorways).

Edited by johnbkidd

You must of picked the right time to travel, the only time I've known the M25 on the west side to be not like a car park is about 11pm on a sunday night  :envy: . Mind you with the variable speed limit it is jus about right to set the Cruise at err 70MPH and sit back and relax.

TBH, it was midday on a Wednesday and it was really empty. I know what you mean though as it took me 3 hours to get from Maidstone to Heathrow yesterday which I can normally do in an hour :sweat:

recent trip cruise @ "70"

:envy: .

That is really good going. I managed to see 56 on the MPG today on a 20 mile commute of mainly 40MPH zones which is my best on a commute so far. I guess the warm weather helps the DPF. Plus I only have the Air Con going if I'm doing more than 60MPH, mostly jus have windows open.

How many miles you got on the clock??

Edited by davitc

:envy: .

That is really good going. I managed to see 56 on the MPG today on a 20 mile commute of mainly 40MPH zones which is my best on a commute so far. I guess the warm weather helps the DPF. Plus I only have the Air Con going if I'm doing more than 60MPH, mostly jus have windows open.

How many miles you got on the clock??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CORRECTION of data - the continental metric (where I live) confused my eyes when I did the conversions.

Note the corrected values in green text

How about this... ~ New car in May 2015 now with 30,000 kms on clock.   Tank top-to-top over 3,063 kms along French/Spanish/Portuguese non-toll roads (often in Spain on the original yet quite new dual carriageways with little traffic and often with cruise control active). Using Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tyres.

Trip data 

3063 km using 133.55 litres fuel: 4.36 l/100 km or 53.95 mpg.  

Often averaging ~ 70 km/hr (43.5 mph) on visual trip output on roads limited to 110kmh max.   Ordinary fuel from supermarkets.  Not too bad.  

Yet, from new (May 2015 - 6km on clock and almost zero fuel) over all journeys long and short - 

Total 32,601 km (20,257 UK miles) average = 45.03 mpg

With an early France to UK round trip of 3,652 kms at 31.63 mpg (often prudently fast on motorways).

Sorry about my data illiteracy.