The Brisky Whiskey Thread - Show Us Your Whiskey!

FUBAR

For many many years my whiskey of choice has been large Canadian Club with a small bit of ice and lemonade but I was recently given a bottle of glenfiddich 12 yr single malt so to be fair to the gift I thought I would drink it as it came from the bottle and to my surprise it's very very enjoyable but yes there is a but ,will I be prepared to pay twice the the price ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

2 pics from a couple of years ago :)

bottles_zps0e7478ad.jpg

DSC01001_zps036bb3f5.jpg

The Laphroaig 15 was absolutely gorgeous,I was given it as a pressie by somebody who had it in a cupboard for years LOL

Oooo ive a bottle of superstition in the cupboard from my BIL for me 30th.

Must open it, but i want to pick a good event.. for the whole "day superstition"  with it ;)

Here is a pic of my current 'stock' :)

Please note - some of these are presents and not necessarily what I would buy,my tipple of choice these days (VFM) is usually Old Pulteney 12 as my local stockist usually sells it for a good price.

The Laphroaig 15 pictured is not an original 15 but the recent 'copy' which is nowhere near as nice as the original (the original was smooooth and subtle).

DSC01618_zpsgep2yg7a.jpg

On 28/04/2017 at 17:22, mac11irl said:

Oooo ive a bottle of superstition in the cupboard from my BIL for me 30th.

Must open it, but i want to pick a good event.. for the whole "day superstition"  with it ;)

Friday the 13th perhaps ?? :)

On 03/05/2017 at 09:49, KenONeill said:

@YS53 - I can't see anything wrong there, not even the tap card from the beer! With that selection and based on my own preferences, I'd suggest you try Scapa some time.

Hi Ken - yes I love scapa : )

In fact I can drink almost all Malts - except Glenfiddich,I just do not like the smell - although they have a lovely distillery/visitor centre/restaurant and I am not overly keen on Glenmorangie - but can force it down in an emergency :).

Perhaps like many - as I have got older I have moved west,I love laphroaig and Talisker but I only usually buy whisky when on offer so I am quite flexible,as mentioned above - my normal dram these days is old pulteney 12 because my local shop sells it at a good price.I do not have any at the moment as I have a few bottles to finish.

Got a single bottle of Balvenie. That's about it.

It is really nice, though....

I also use Whisky & Water hand soap and shower gel from Noble Isle, which actually have whisky extract... stragnely enough, direct from the Balvenie distillery! :)

Whisky/whiskey. I love whisky, but it doesn't love me. I lived in Edinburgh '83-'86. The Ormelie (Portobello) was a short walk from my flat. They had over 100 whiskies lined up alphabetically along the top shelf behind the bar. I started with the first bottle on the left, never got out of the C's. Mind, I wasn't in every night. But, I got a taste for the stuff. I leaned toward the western isles, but my absolute favourite was Springbank, unfortunately the older ones.

In '86, I developed gout. That was when I found out about double- and triple-distilling. Irish whiskey is triple-distilled and, with few exceptions, Scotch whisky is double-distilled. Whiskey is MUCH kinder to my joints than whisky. Some lowland malts are triple-distilled (Auchentoshan, Springbank for instance).

So, Jameson is my tipple now. Anything Irish. My favourite, until they stopped importing it after the French bought it, was John Powers. I can still sometimes get a drop in The Blythe Tavern, SE23, because the landlord brings a bottle from the airport when he returns from Ireland. He has a range, but I have not been drunk enough to splurge on the Midleton. The Toucan in Soho used to have a sign on their Midleton: "If you have to ask, you can't afford it".

• 7 months later...

Finished from Christmas today...

Just decided to crack open a bottle.

Picked the one below out of the selection from happy (coz ive had them all paid, for plenty work done!) Contractors.

Its a new one on me.. so i shall report back.

IMAG1041.thumb.jpg.81557cda9a3fdedcc252d1abd61e217f.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mac11irl said:

Finished from Christmas today...

Just decided to crack open a bottle.

Picked the one below out of the selection from happy (coz ive had them all paid, for plenty work done!) Contractors.

Its a new one on me.. so i shall report back.

From Carlow - which is a surprise - but, at least the barley didn't have to travel far ! 

Look forward to your report...

Edited by Dithane

Well @Dithane report is thus -

The blurb on the bottle is bull****.

The initial fragrant notes of green apples and honey doesnt give way to pot still spice and summer fruits that deepen to finish at spiced  oak and butterskotch.

However, it is palatable. And seems a  grand "supping" blend, for a quiet night in front of the tv. 

Its a 70% single malt/ 30% pot still vatted blend. 

I prefer straight single malt but im open to a decent blended.

I am tempted to commit a sin over xmas, and see what its like with a lime cordial... Something i havnt done to a whisk(e)y since an attractive nordy (Derry) lesbian bought me one in a round one night in Aberdeen as part of a joint effort to get a socially awkward acquaintance of ours to loosen up and talk about himself openly. It worked... tbf, he got talking about a subject he had an interest in and we couldnt shut him Up :D did him the world of good! :D

I think this Blender may suit the citrus kick though.. for special occasions.   i will report back on that when i get a chance and the courage to do it over christmas...

Well - as it's Carlow -- the flavour might be affected by the ... ehh .. Barrow Water :notme:   

Well - at least you didn't suggest blackcurrant cordial .  Unless of course,  you're combining it with another ... umm... joint...  effort. :giggle:

A lot of new brands and varieties out there now -- looking forward to a bit of  tasting over the Chrimmie !

Cheers ! 

Edited by Dithane

Cheers Ken, I used to think adding water was heresy, but it was a good many years ago at Whisky Live I was shown the difference even a drip of good water makes.  Memorable year coz that's why I bought the Cameronbridge (which I still have :biggrin:).

Gaz

I picked up some of this on a visit to the distillery, I don't usually drink whisky but it hit the spot when tasted.

Had it months, will sample tomorrow.

IMG_20171224_143414435.jpg

Edited by MickA
  • Like 1