The Brisky Whiskey Thread - Show Us Your Whiskey!

FUBAR

In "The Hustler" Paul Newman name checks J.T.S. Brown. A few years ago, I checked out the Trafalgar Hotel (Trafalgar Square, London) who were advertising a Whiskey Bar. I was shocked to see J.T.S. Brown on the menu. It was £9 for a single, must be 15-20 years ago. It was the best I've ever tasted.

I've never seen it anywhere else, but you can find it on the internet. It's stupid money.

Speaking of stupid, here's a joke. (Stop me if you've heard it...)

An Irishman caught a leprechaun. And, true to the legend, the leprechaun offered the man two wishes to let him go. "I thought it was three!" said the man. "No. I was sleeping. You only get two."

So, the man thought for a moment. I wish I had a whiskey glass that was never empty. "Granted", said the leprechaun.

Sure enough, in front of his eyes appeared a brimful glass of whiskey. The man knocked it back in one. The glass refilled before his eyes. "Amazing!" he cried. He challenged the glass, knocking back whiskey after whiskey as fast as he could. Still the glass remained full. He could barely see it through his tears of joy.

"Come on," said the leprechaun. "I haven't got all day. What's your second wish?"

The man studied his glass. "I wish I had another one of these."

• Haha 1

So several weeks ago i went with the 'crew' into town and had a meal and a few drinks. The lightweights among us went back to their hotel, but myself and a colleague went on for a couple more drinks (I sensibly had paced myself ;) ) 

After finding an excellent bar, which was a former bank (complete with the original vault) in the Northern Quarter of Manchester, we found the Whisky Jar pub. As we both liked whisky we went in and bought a couple of quality whiskys. mind you£10 for a single 18 Dalwhinnie seemed steep but we were a bit pickled and it is unlikely we will get the chance to enjoy a whisky again in each others company. Just before we left we said to the barman, "Dealers choice". We told him the sort of flavours we liked and he with his expert knowledge went through the 250+ whiskys and selected the ideal drink. My colleague received a decent single (£12!) and after moving several bottles to dig out a rare bottle at the back of the shelf, I was poured the last of a very unusual looking bottle (£14!! - I did say I was pickled right?) I took the amber nectar with a nervous hand and baited breath and before I washed the liquid gold over my gagging taste receptors I sniffed the unobtainium whisky.

Strange!

Hmmm?

I can only describe the drink as 18 year old 'SWEDISH MOOSE WHISKY'!!!!!!!!!

Yes it was Swedish and yes it had a picture of what looked like a moose on the bottle! If toilet duck tasted this bad I would be surprised. Still it was an experience and hopefully they have stopped squeezing this juice out of their mooseseses now

Lesson learned....until the next time. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, CWARD said:

If you like Makers Mark, try Woodford Reserve or Wild Turkey both a notch above. 

I didn't like Wild Turkey much but will try Woodford if I see it :thumbup:

Had a few days in Dorset last week and dropped into Palmers wine store in Bridport as is our usual habit.  Bought a bottle of their Golden Cap whisky, which might be a blend (North British Distillery Single Grain and Glen Grant) but it's a very palatable easy drinker.

Gaz

IMG_0733.jpg

Edited by V6TDI

I'm currently sipping my way through a bottle of 12 Year Old Aberlour Single Malt >> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aberlour-Year-Single-Scotch-Whisky/dp/B009SS9CKY

Previous to that it was a 12 Year Old Balvenie Double Wood.  I've only just got into my Whiskey, but I'm not keen on blends, they just taste of Fire-Water to me.

The Balvenie (https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/284/balvenie-12-year-old-doublewood) is nice if you like Vanilla-type tastes (not really my thing) and I'm loving the Warm earthy tastes with a hint of (I think Rasin...) in the Aberlour.  Not sure what's next on the list, probably a Speyside or Isle of Skye area liquid.

I also bought some mini bottles from The Whiskey Shop in York, they had some speciality barrels and although I can't remember what they were, they were yummy, much like the Welsh Penderynn

• 3 weeks later...

IMAG2139.thumb.jpg.118f4e4ed53b9dc05df93840cb2d3c4b.jpg

Toasting the new house, on a moving job nearly done...

Another morning of moving stuff tomorrow.

Then i need to empty our attic and fill up the new one... not looking for ward to that!

• Like 1

For shame, i should admit that yes.. its a plastic cup.

Movement of glassware is tomorrow... after i collect the second hand couches to put into our old house.

• 2 weeks later...

People occasionally ask me what my favourite Whisky is LOL - my usual reply is ''whatever is on special offer '' :biggrin:

At the end of last month we flew off on Holiday (from Edi),we stayed in a hotel the night before and had brekky in Morrisons s'market.After brekky I had a wee look at the whisky shelf (as you do :) ) and saw to my horror that they had Highland Park 12 Viking Honour on sale at 22 squid,since there was no chance of me glugging a bottle before our flight I thought I had missed out on that particular offer LOL.

Anyway Fast Fwd 3 weeks and we are back home - we go shopping at our local Morrisons (our usual shop anyway) and would you believe it ? - there are 4 bottles of HP 12yo VH still up for 22 squid.

So obviously I bought all 4 as they might well have been the last ones available :biggrin:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

?

At the Open?

Have fun. 

I take it doing night shift made it easier for them to find you accommodation to get your head down during the daytime.

Carnoustie becomes a crazy place to get in and out of during the Open, but then that is the same where ever it is.

I will be parking out of town and cycling in tomorrow & Thursday then avoiding the rest of the week.

PS

I see there is Camping & Glamping in the grounds of my old school, and a bar there.

Edited by Offski

We took a fairly last minute decision last weekend to go over to Islay for a couple of days,the Distillery spotting started whilst still on the ferry :)

4ZuBgLx.jpg

km8Bojz.jpg

c9ogQJP.jpg

iksXFgr.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I love many of the Distilleries on Islay,and we spent a couple of hours at Laphroaig,mostly outside drinking coffee :biggrin:

ou7sQSv.jpg

A quick look at Bowmore :biggrin:

UysQrA0.jpg

Bunnahabain

Swt3N9k.jpg

We did not actually spend much time at the Distilleries as the weather was gorgeous,we did some longish walks on 3 beautiful beaches (Machir Bay, Saligo Bay and Bunnahabain) and stayed 2 nights in a very picturesque village right at one end of the island,our B and B had a garden/decking right over a fishing port with 2 small islands just offshore.

We really did not want to come home LOL

Edited by YS53
  • Like 3

My Bushmills collection has continued to grow since I was last in here and more ironically last week one of my little brothers started working at the Bushmills distillery and has 25% staff discount as such :call:  Also free tours for friends and family :D

Edited by FUBAR
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, FUBAR said:

last week one of my little brothers started working at the Bushmills distillery and has 25% staff discount as such :call:  

Always nice to have contacts in high places Fubar :biggrin:

My dads best contact when i was a kid was his brother that had lorries and moved the empty barrels which had held various alcohols from the ships as the arrived in the UK & going to the Distillery or from there to the Coopers.

Well they were empty if turned up and drained totally over a couple of days before being delivered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macduff_distillery 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banff_distillery 

Edited by Offski

On 30/05/2018 at 21:45, CWARD said:

If you like Makers Mark, try Woodford Reserve or Wild Turkey both a notch above. 

I got a bottle of Makers Mark for Fathers Day, what a treat! Nicest bourbon I have had to date, very smooth and not too smokey.

I've since tried Woodford Reserve and Gentleman Jack: personally I prefer the Makers Mark.  

I'm going to try some Bulleit next but not sure whether to try the rye version....

EDIT:  Four Roses is another bourbon that I keep seeing as highly recommended, so I'll try that at some point. 

Edited by penguin17

7 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Wild Turkey is supposed to be the best Bourbon according to Michael Jacksons Whiskey Guide but I’ve never tried it. 

Does he prefer the younger blends? :biggrin:

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2