The Brisky Whiskey Thread - Show Us Your Whiskey!

FUBAR

I was bought a bottle of Shackleton whisky for Christmas. It's a blended whisky that is supposed to be the type that Shackleton took with him to the Antarctic. I like it :) Slightly sweet, with a bit of sherry and an almost 'hint' of something sour. It's surprisingly pale in colour. Overall, very pleasant indeed and I'm also drinking it to help absorb some of the UK's finest history (that's what I tell myself) :)

alcohol drinking GIF by Maker's Mark

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping this doesn't offend our Northern Neighbours -  a birthday gift from my wife - gold medal award-winning English Malt from the Cotswolds. All locally sourced apart from the Pot Stills, which are hand-crafted by Forsyths. Matured in 1st-fill Bourbon and Red Wine casks and bottled at 46% ABV.     

Cotswolds Malt Whisky.JPG

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

Hoping this doesn't offend our Northern Neighbours

Not a problem; they've called it "English whisky", and it can't be as good anyway because it's too hot in the Cotswolds. (fact; most Scottish distilleries only distil from October to March)

• Like 1

@KenONeillWere did you get that interesting fact or fiction from.   Is that really 'Most' Scottish Distilleries?

This looks like being a drought year in much of Scotland.

https://scotsman.com/news/environment/climate-changes-could-halt-production-in-scottish-whisky-distilleries-by-2080-3430285

EDIT.

Screenshot 2022-03-23 18.51.17.jpg

Screenshot 2022-03-23 18.52.16.jpg

Edited by roottoot
  • Crying 1

1 hour ago, roottoot said:

Were did you get that interesting fact from

Visiting some of the many distilleries who shut down the stills and do maintenance in the Summer. Even if Glenfarclas says different.

• Thanks 1

The Cotswolds Malt is actually very nice - perhaps not the 'body' of, say, Lagavulin 16YO, but quite acceptable. The makers say you can drink it with ginger ale - for which suggestion they should be burnt at the stake!

• Like 1

On 23/03/2022 at 10:57, Warrior193 said:

- gold medal award-winning English Malt from the Cotswolds. 

And currently £30 in Waitrose :thumbup::thumbup:  (Other supermarkets are of course available).

Guess where I'm going in my lunch break tomorrow :nod:

Gaz

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Since retiring I can't justify being extravagant with whiskies, but a pleasant reduction in my car insurance renewal (no more business use) left me with an opportunity to buy a little something for Christmas, if I can make it last that long:

IMG_5895.thumb.jpeg.48d825876466aab8295403cf355e4827.jpeg

Peaty, but in a nice way.  It's really rather good 👍

Gaz

16 hours ago, Gaz said:

Since retiring I can't justify being extravagant with whiskies, but a pleasant reduction in my car insurance renewal (no more business use) left me with an opportunity to buy a little something for Christmas, if I can make it last that long:

IMG_5895.thumb.jpeg.48d825876466aab8295403cf355e4827.jpeg

Peaty, but in a nice way.  It's really rather good 👍

Gaz

I can't quite read the age - is that 10 or 12 YO?

58 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

I can't quite read the age - is that 10 or 12 YO?

It's a 10 y/o Islay.

I also got a dram of a 16 y/o Mortlach in the box as a pressie.  That was proper nice.

G

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 1

I was in the whisky shop last week and see that the once affordable, but still pricy Macallan 18y/o is now £325!!! Ok, so the whisky shop is expensive, but still, that's a crackers price, I gather the 25y/o is now 4 figures! 

I bought a nice Balvennie 'Week of peat' for my father. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

I bought myself a Christmas present of a Benrinnes 12 y/o too :)

Sounds innerestin' 😎

Is that the 51.1% one?

G

On 04/04/2016 at 17:30, MidWalesVRS said:

Just finished a bottle of Lagavulin.. cracking stuff.

Do enjoy a nice bottle of whiskey.. which reminds me - as I'm still technically recovering from the flu - I might be able to sneak another past the wife for 'medicinal purposes'.

I've not bought any for a while (Lagavulin) around £60 for the cheap stuff!

I stick to the Bushmills or a nice Calvados even a Plymouth gin, just for the

botanicals you understand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Sounds innerestin' 😎

Is that the 51.1% one?

G

I think so, I left it up in the North East at my dads house by mistake, so I can't remember exactly. It's definitely got a decent hit of alcohol and I was lucky enough to have a quick taste of it before purchase too. Not as sweet as some oloroso finished whiskys imho. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lady Elanore said:

I bought myself a Christmas present of a Benrinnes 12 y/o too :)

I'm skint now.

The like is for the pressie to self - cry required for 'skint now'.

• Like 1

This week on the radio i heard Tom Morton speaking from snowy Shetland.

I read his book back in the 1990's when he rode his Sidecar outfit around all the distilleries of Scotland.   

I bought a sidecar outfit not long after. 

I will get it and give it another read.   'A journey beyond the whisky trails' by Tom Morton. 

http://heraldscotland.com/news/12582972.against-the-grain-for-malt-flavoured-odyssey-on-orange-beast

http://whiskymag.com/story/12-welcome-to-whisky-magazine

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

An unexpected Christmas gift from my Wife - a double too!

Rum-cask finish Jura single malt... And a drum roll please - one I've been tempted to buy, since tasting a sample about 30 years ago, every time I pass the airport duty-free shops -  JW Blue 😋  

Whisky 251222.jpg

• Like 3