The complete ignorance of some people!

I use the following checklist to avoid supermarket mishaps:

• ​Is there likely to be limited members of the public at the supermarket? Yes, go to 2 - No, stay at home
  • Is the previous nights weather conditions good? i.e. no ice or snow Yes, go to 3 - No, stay at home
  • Are the current weather conditions benign? i.e. no strong winds Yes, go to 4 - No, stay at home
  • Can you make the trip without family members? Yes, go to 5 - No, stay at home
  • Can you park the furthest but walkable distance to the supermarket? Yes, go to 6 - No, return home immediately
  • Can you park in a single bay away from others? Avoid parking across two bays, muppets recognise why you are doing this and acts as a magnet Yes, go to 7 - No, return home immediately
  • Can you park well away from trolley bays? High risk area. Yes, go to 7 - No, do not even stop the engine
  • Is the car park clear of individual and abandoned rogue trolleys? Yes, go to 8 - No, danger!
  • Can you see your pride and joy that you have worked blooming hard to pay for from all of the aisles including the checkout? Yes, enjoy the shopping trip knowing you have minimised risk - No, just do on-line shopping instead and play your PS4.
Works for me.
You sound like me. However I have found a much, much easier solution.

Bring herselfs car. Shopping is usually her idea anyway...I can survive (albeit for a limited life span) on takeaways so if she wants that chore done she can hand over the keys!

Edited by EoinM

We stopped visiting supermarkets when the cost of repairs started to catch up and overtake the cost of our food. We now have it all delivered.

I'd happily pay a quid to park at shops if the bay was 50% wider or of a design that made it impossible for door dings. That's what the supermarkets should do, allocate some pay to use parking at a premium, the people using it would be the kind of person who doesn't want their car damaged and also the kind of person who'd be less likely to damage someone else's car.

My car is currently sporting a rather obvious door ding, Tesco I think.

Are you kidding me? The French are far worse...particularly the south of France. Down right dangerous driving most of the time, tons of tailgating and parking mayhem. They have no problem boxing you in and bumping your car forward if they can't get out of a space. Dents R Us.

Wouldn't know about that as my time in France is spent going as fast as possible to Belgium. Wouldn't want to spend anymore than the 40 mins that takes there.

If you're doing that, you have to dump it at a haphazard angle, keeps them away a bit.

Somewhat of the post but don't do that!

Our local Sainsbury's employ a parking enforcement firm; last week my sister in law parked her car in a space well away from other cars. As she got out one of the parking enforcement 'officers' said that her car wasn't parked correctly as her front nearside wheel was actually on the white line between the parking spaces and she would be given a fine. After some discussion he pointed out that 'correct' parking was one of the requirements listed on the notice boards around the car park. He reluctantly allowed my sister in law to move the car off the white line uttering dire warnings about not doing it again. We found out later that this is a very common happening and parking companies make a lot of money in this way. BTW, Sainsbury's said that the parking rules in their car park were nothing to do with them.

• Like 1

As someone who buys cars from UK for export I can totally understand this thread. I've yet to come across a car for sale that hasn't had some sort of ding or dent from other idiots whacking it. It also seems to be a British problem as you don't find cars in such bad conditions elsewhere.

The other weird thing I'll never understand is why on earth people fill their coolant and wash liquid with tap water... 20 quid for some coolant and 3 for some wash liquid isn't going to break the bank and will last you a good couple of years.

You've obviousy never been to the States then....

Our local Sainsbury's employ a parking enforcement firm; last week my sister in law parked her car in a space well away from other cars. As she got out one of the parking enforcement 'officers' said that her car wasn't parked correctly as her front nearside wheel was actually on the white line between the parking spaces and she would be given a fine. After some discussion he pointed out that 'correct' parking was one of the requirements listed on the notice boards around the car park. He reluctantly allowed my sister in law to move the car off the white line uttering dire warnings about not doing it again. We found out later that this is a very common happening and parking companies make a lot of money in this way. BTW, Sainsbury's said that the parking rules in their car park were nothing to do with them.

This would work with your car park attendant!

You've obviousy never been to the States then....

Good thing about the States though, if you have a medium or small car, the parking spaces are often designed to accommodate something the size of a truck, as so many of them do drive such vehicles!

But re: supermarkets over here, it isn't just getting bashed by careless other cars. I watched a young mum, pushing overloaded baby buggy, another kid on the way, phone glued in her ear and eyes glazed over, as she shoved her load between parked cars (couldn't be bothered to go around the wide access lanes). The buggy bashed into one car and scraped along the other, and she didn't even take the phone out of her ear. Luckily (luckily?) both the cars she hit were beaten up old heaps anyway, but for all she cared they could have been Rolls Royces.....

Twice now I've gone back into a shop after getting a "parking ticket."  The first time, in Currys, I was told that they had no power over the parking enforcement. I accepted this and asked him to refund the £2000 worth of Fridge, TV and surround sound that I'd been buying whilst my car was being ticketed. Needless to say he changed his mind pretty quickly.

The second was a similar event in Tesco where the returns desk staff weren't happy about refunding a large trolley full of items and had the manager agree to sort it out.

The shops don't want to risk their profits over these barely enforceable parking companies.

We stopped visiting supermarkets when the cost of repairs started to catch up and overtake the cost of our food. We now have it all delivered.

I'd happily pay a quid to park at shops if the bay was 50% wider or of a design that made it impossible for door dings. That's what the supermarkets should do, allocate some pay to use parking at a premium, the people using it would be the kind of person who doesn't want their car damaged and also the kind of person who'd be less likely to damage someone else's car.

My car is currently sporting a rather obvious door ding, Tesco I think.

I've thought about buying two tickets when parking in a multi storey carpark but figured they'd still ticket me for parking across a the two bays.

My local council has a large open car park with 370 places, that's been resurfaced several times in the 40-odd years I've known it. The spaces are exactly the same size now as they were 40 years ago. Just long enough for a Fabia but even too narrow for a Citygo.

In a twist of fate am swapping my 6 month old company Golf GTD for a year old Zafira Tourer 1.6 CDTI Elite later in the week.....it's in the main a head over heart decision as I need a bigger car for the family....but I find myself so precious and OCD about the GTD...even though it's a company car it's something I'd aspire to own myself so treat it that way....but therein lies my downfall.

I've decided to let someone else enjoy it...I'm going to enjoy leaving the people mover with which I have absolutely no emotional attachment with in Tesco car park :-)

I've thought about buying two tickets when parking in a multi storey carpark but figured they'd still ticket me for parking across a the two bays.

I parked my bike in a multi once. The bloke came out of nowhere (overcome he was hiding) and told me I couldn't park in a car bay. I explained that as they didn't have bike parking bays, I'd be paying for a full ticket and would have to park a car bay. They're not out of pocket and I need to park.

'But they're for cars' he then repeated getting louder and louder. I left him to it. I can imagine it might annoy some people and normally they have bike bays but I'll be buggered if I'm leaving and going elsewhere just because he thinks cars have priority.

• Like 1

I parked my bike in a multi once. The bloke came out of nowhere (overcome he was hiding) and told me I couldn't park in a car bay. I explained that as they didn't have bike parking bays, I'd be paying for a full ticket and would have to park a car bay. They're not out of pocket and I need to park.

'But they're for cars' he then repeated getting louder and louder. I left him to it. I can imagine it might annoy some people and normally they have bike bays but I'll be buggered if I'm leaving and going elsewhere just because he thinks cars have priority.

Just remember to take a photo of the ticket on your bike in case someone decides to remove it. Back when I owned a kit car I would leave the roof at home in nice weather. I once had a ticket taken so started writing my reg on the face of the ticket (this was in the days before camera phones) 

• Like 1

In a twist of fate am swapping my 6 month old company Golf GTD for a year old Zafira Tourer 1.6 CDTI Elite later in the week.....it's in the main a head over heart decision as I need a bigger car for the family....but I find myself so precious and OCD about the GTD...even though it's a company car it's something I'd aspire to own myself so treat it that way....but therein lies my downfall.

I've decided to let someone else enjoy it...I'm going to enjoy leaving the people mover with which I have absolutely no emotional attachment with in Tesco car park :-)

My last car was a 6 year old 4x4/suv. it still bugged me to find new stone chips or carpark marks on it :(

I had someone try to tell me off for using the parent and child spaces at the Co-op once. I introduced them to my mother, who was in the passenger seat.

Pretty sure it doesn't specify the parent has to be the one driving.

Pretty poor behaviour...

I had someone try to tell me off for using the parent and child spaces at the Co-op once. I introduced them to my mother, who was in the passenger seat.

Pretty sure it doesn't specify the parent has to be the one driving.

I really hope that's a wind up!  Most parent and child spaces state they are for parents with children under 5.

Answer one: Nope - That isn't what the sign said, and 13 people who put a star on that post are probably having a better day than you because they can laugh about stuff.

Answer two: She can get about fine, and you wouldn't know it to look at her riding her bike even though she's well in her 60's, but mum has a spinal problem. She's doing a lot better now, but at the time, she needed help to get in and out of the car, so we had to have the door open all the way. So it was a blue badge space or parent and child. But we're not going to talk about her heath to some random wannabe traffic warden in a car park, so we had a laugh about it and walked away.

Really, don't get me started on people like that.

Edited by StevesTruck

I personally find people with kids have without doubt the least respect for other people's property as the only thing they are concerned about is their kids, and this is not my cross to bear in any, way shape or form.

Not sure about that and I have four, I think its the kids who don't give a **** which is to be expected because they are kids and need to learn. I do care more about my kids then a car but I get out first (child lock :) ) and hold the door so they can't slam it into anything and I'm constantly telling them to watch other people cars.  

• Like 2

I know this one's gonna spark a few comments off...

I often park in 'Parent & Child' spaces when I visit the supermarket... and I don't have sprogs, or my mother with me... generally just the wife.

Having kids is a responsibility and not a right, and as the old saying goes... 'if you're fit enough to breed, you're fit enough to walk' [across a car park].

Why the hell should I have to make concessions for someone else's personal 'life choice', in this case, at the expense of getting something I've worked hard to pay for dinged, because the other available parking spaces are too damn small to fit even a Ford Ka comfortably?

It's already bad enough that people who continually spit out enough kids to create a small football team keep getting handouts, child benefits, allowances and other concessions at the expense of the taxpayer and general public for their decision, generally without financial consideration, to do so... I'd like a Lamborghini or McLaren F1 as a life choice, but I don't have one because I can't afford it, and I don't go out and just buy one anyway and then expect the taxpayer to help me pay for it... or (to the point) expect that if do buy one I'll get a special parking space at the local supermarket. 

In a society where we're bombarded on a daily basis with the politically correct notion that we shouldn't discriminate against people for things like, specifically, race, colour or disability - i.e. things people DON'T have control of at the time of birth, why the hell should people who choose to breed be given some sort of preference as a result of a situation in which they exist of their own personal volition... as if this is expanded you might as well have a whole range of other 'minority' or 'life choice' specific parking bays for things like (for example) dog and cat owners!

I personally find people with kids have without doubt the least respect for other people's property as the only thing they are concerned about is their kids, and this is not my cross to bear in any, way shape or form.

And before anybody overreacts because they haven't read (or understood) the above properly... I don't park in disabled bays - these are for people whose situation is not a life choice and their need is genuine.

So basically, mother and child parking - fair game as far as I'm concerned if it means my little pride and joy (i.e. my car) get's saved from the brutality and carelessness of others!

I agree entirely, the parent and child bays are just there so people buy more and no other reason. The problem is bays are small to the point where you can't even get a car in, if some goon parks badly it has a domino effect where the bays are even smaller due to other cars encroaching on your bay. The real admittion is a supermarket having the parent and child bays in the first place, basically saying the bays are to small.

• Like 1