Windows 10 - worth it yet?

kilted

After a win 7 ultimate key anyone know best place to get one.brought 2 of tinternet now and both have been shut down as copy.getting annoyed now.

I hope you reported the sellers.

Chances are slim of finding a genuine one; plenty of legit "Pro" out there still, but Ultimate was more of a consumer version, so far fewer business buyers.

You can get a Chinese version; it WILL install in UK English/UK Keyboard - although the install menu is in Chinese/US keyboard; the only real issue is that the ONLY location/time zone you can chose is China/Beijing.

• Like 1

Is the pro any good as me and the wife have always liked 7 ultimate.can't be arsed with 10 as it's to much like a tablet.

I cant tell you, as I have never used Ultimate, but if you want to use it as a way of free upgrading to 10, forget it, 10 misses out all the Media Centre stuff that made Ultimate what it was.

I dont miss it because I never liked the M$ implementation, or that of MANY other media players; I use Media Player Classic for music - because it can play by the folder and in the correct order; and for video I currently use PotPlayer, with Plex for wifi streaming.

• Like 1

• Administrators

After a win 7 ultimate key anyone know best place to get one.brought 2 of tinternet now and both have been shut down as copy.getting annoyed now.

Windows 10 Pro OEM

http://www.play-asia.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-3264-bit-oem-key-dl/13/709747

Never had an issues with mine and it's on an OEM machine, but it really doesn't matter.

*Everyone has their thoughts about places like these selling them, I don't want to hear them thanks.

• Administrators

Is the pro any good as me and the wife have always liked 7 ultimate.can't be arsed with 10 as it's to much like a tablet.

10 isn't really like a tablet at all unless you're on one. It works very well, and the start menu is very good, similar to the old start menu but with added features. Oh, and great for gaming too!

• Like 1

Lots of reports that WIn10 Anniversary bjorks on restart folks. Lets make sue you have backed up important data, as M$ are saying "wipe & clean install" is the fix.

Also reports of it setting the language to match the location, for example a UK guy working in Japan found his rebooted into Japanese.

best way to update is to get the ISO from here and burn to DVD/USB have had a few calls so far where people have been impatiant and though the update had hung and turned off. This way you have a much better chance of a good update and only one download if you have more than one PC

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO/?tduid=(1c62cfbf3746728c3218c252daf1bed3)(266696)(1503186)(skim3570X1544160X1d941129a4476f51def137776c5bbee7)()

John

• Administrators

Lots of reports that WIn10 Anniversary bjorks on restart folks. Lets make sue you have backed up important data, as M$ are saying "wipe & clean install" is the fix.

Also reports of it setting the language to match the location, for example a UK guy working in Japan found his rebooted into Japanese.

Smooth update here, less than 20 mins. Went through the setup again and customised it all and rechecked SpyBot Anti-Beacon.

I like the updated Start Menu, nice scrolling and all apps show up correctly.

post-124938-0-53149600-1470653551_thumb.jpg

Edited by DeanVRS20VT

• Administrators

My computer never stays on, it's always shut off when not in use. Boots up fine, within 10 seconds to desktop. No errors, no errors shown in event viewer, double checked msconfig, comp services etc. Very smooth in all :) Deleted the old window.old folder, using Windows10Pro I've gone through any settings that may have changed from the install and reconfigured accordingly.

I am running the anniversary update on a number of Windows VMs, an Acer tablet and my office laptop. All work fine and have been shutdown and restarted and powered off quiet a few times since completing the install.

OK, some people have just been unlucky then, or running something software-wise that has caused an issue.

meanwhile, I have been getting Winupdate requests EVERY FEW HOURS for the same freaking M$ AV product THAT I DONT HAVE!! (and set to "Dont ask again" each time).

This has been going on for several days, so I have turned Winupdate off again.

• Administrators

OK, some people have just been unlucky then, or running something software-wise that has caused an issue.

meanwhile, I have been getting Winupdate requests EVERY FEW HOURS for the same freaking M$ AV product THAT I DONT HAVE!! (and set to "Dont ask again" each time).

This has been going on for several days, so I have turned Winupdate off again.

Other than that, how have you found it?

Other than that, how have you found it?

Me?? I wont touch it with a barge pole; Win7 till it dies, then take the full Linux plunge; I already have one PC running it, although I am still not comfortable with messing under the hood - and my Netbook is due a refresh and may get Mint installed to replace XP.

• Like 1

I am running the anniversary update on a number of Windows VMs, an Acer tablet and my office laptop. All work fine and have been shutdown and restarted and powered off quiet a few times since completing the install.

Mystery solved.

"To be specific, when the Windows 10 Anniversary Update was combined with our (AVAST) aswvmm.sys driver on an Intel CPU from the Skylake family with Intel VT enabled in the BIOS, the update resulted in a blue screen of death.

my Netbook is due a refresh and may get Mint installed to replace XP.

When you do the 901 let me know how you get on - I still have two on the go on XP that the kids use...

• Administrators

Remember you can keep getting security updates for Windows XP until 2019 by tricking Windows Update to think it's Windows Embedded. Simple Dword registry entry and rerun Update and you'll have loads to install!

Remember you can keep getting security updates for Windows XP until 2019 by tricking Windows Update to think it's Windows Embedded. Simple Dword registry entry and rerun Update and you'll have loads to install!

I've been doing that for years; in fact I might have been the person who posted the link on how to do it.

2019 isnt that far away now, and I only refresh the OS when needed - the 901 is getting very slow, despite no extra programs installed in over 2 years - only updates. There is no issue with the SSD, it still has plenty of space; so the registry is too badly clogged for even CCLeaner to sort out.

Had the anniversary edition through on 2 machines. Acer notebook & HP laptop.

Laptop went through fine and only took a few minutes on the update screens.

The notebook appeared to crash with a red screen so I forced it to switch off on reboot, logged in and the screen just hung on the login screen with no visible cues as to what it was doing.

Left it well alone for almost an hour and it eventually sorted itself out

Assuming if you have a notebook, anything underpowered or older hardware it just takes longer so hold your nerve.

Lost all my win 7 classic card games when anniversary updated Windows 10 and now seems to want me to use cortana all the time,perhaps ms should call their updates setbacks.

Me?? I wont touch it with a barge pole; Win7 till it dies, then take the full Linux plunge; I already have one PC running it, although I am still not comfortable with messing under the hood - and my Netbook is due a refresh and may get Mint installed to replace XP.

'ear 'ear!

We do have Win10Pro on our desktop at home, and even if it hasn't caused us any major difficulties (all sheduled updates have installed without creating havoc), we rarely use it. SWMBO uses her phone (please, don't get me started on new Android versions, google has become worse than MS) for almost all tasks while I've just completely renovated my laptop softwarewise so that I now run 64 bit/multilib Slackware 14.2 OS. And at work the IT folks are cautious - we're still on Win7, thankfully. Almost as good as NT4 :P

W10 got a big black mark from me the other week. It won't run Sid Meier's Pirates!.

Spent a happy miserable evening last night getting the anniversary update to run. As usual it just would trigger without being hit by a brick 3 or 4 times.

It seem to go through it without any adverse affects. I didn't detect any changes to my privacy settings but Cortana is back :finger:

Just need to do the bleedin same for the netbook now. I was happy for 10min when the net came back on until every device in thw house decided it needed to update, including the telly, PC, laptop, 3 tablets and my phone.

Replaced the pish Plusnet router with something a bit beefier last night too, much better reception throughout the house. Just need to sort the wiring now.

still on XP at home and just summoning up the courage to change to W7 to match my work laptop...   won't be going near W10 for a long time yet if I can help it!

still on XP at home and just summoning up the courage to change to W7 to match my work laptop...   won't be going near W10 for a long time yet if I can help it!

You're in good company

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/09/metropolitan_police_missed_xp_migration_deadline/