Lofty's Sprint Yellow Fabia vRS Mk1 - "Project Daffodil"

Lofty

On 14/01/2019 at 21:39, pip_vrs said:

I wish i had stuff to get dipped in that carbon. It looks ace. 

It's addictive TBH, but the expense side is enough to stop me at this point! Plus there is a danger of going over the top and it end up looking too much, fine if that's what you're into but not me.

In other news, "Secret Kev" waved the magic TIG torch about last night...

31910ED5-A5A9-4817-BA99-AB095C7D32E0_zps

8CE19D4E-0CB2-46E6-B47A-46D587733CDE_zps

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 2

Yeah id quit whilst your ahead or else you might aswell have the car dipped. If my fabia was actually nice id do my seats and a few bits. But theres no point wasting money on visual mods when its beige :D

• Haha 4

Just had a thought. My estate has some plastic trim that sits under the car. That could help protect your nicely finished underside.

its not something I had on my hatch and I’ve not seen many others with them

8 minutes ago, Dark_Hero said:

Just had a thought. My estate has some plastic trim that sits under the car. That could help protect your nicely finished underside.

its not something I had on my hatch and I’ve not seen many others with them

I know what you mean Charlie, my dad has a 2004 54 Fabia Ambiente 1.9 TDi 100pd and that has underfloor covers on both sides, from what I've researched, they only ever fitted them on non vRS PD's, and indeed on ETKA they are shown under the Soundproofing section.

I did think about them but i'll only be ever using the car in nice weather for shows etc, I want to kind of show it off a bit. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lovely car mate excellent work and attention to detail. Where did you get the crinkle paint from and do you know how it’ll hold up against wear etc and not ‘chip’ off? I’ve recently got hold of a full darkside fmic kit and am looking to turn it black. 

Mess also wondering what rubber you’ve used on the cut out for your crash bar

9 hours ago, Jase009 said:

Lovely car mate excellent work and attention to detail. Where did you get the crinkle paint from and do you know how it’ll hold up against wear etc and not ‘chip’ off? I’ve recently got hold of a full darkside fmic kit and am looking to turn it black. 

Mess also wondering what rubber you’ve used on the cut out for your crash bar

Cheers for the comments. The wrinkle paint is VHT Wrinkle Black, sold by a number of places on eBay, about £10 a can delivered, it’s pretty evil stuff to breathe in so wear a decent mask etc.

The rubber seal is just that, search for “U section rubber seal/edge trim “ on eBay and there’s loads of different lengths and profiles. Tidied up the bare edge a treat

Sneaky peak at the idea I have for the exhaust tailpipe...

DC529235-3038-4E0B-878B-D24FB31BFCEF_zps

The idea is to have a downwards swept 3” brushed stainless tailpipe, but this will mean modifications being made to the rear bumper, the back panel of the car and the exhaust heat shielding above the rear box, so a fair bit of work, but hey, who likes easy eh?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robshaw said:

Your car is fantastic! The exhaust/heat shield shown above however really doesn't do it for me!

Then again, not my car so do what makes you happy :)

Trust me, the heat shield thing won’t be making an appearance! But the tailpipe will. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning!

Work is progressing at a glacial pace, suits me at the moment as it keeps me ticking along nicely. The front slam panel has been taken to the body shop with some very particular (aka fussy) instructions on how I want it back so the last few evenings have been spent fitting the new starter motor and reorganising the engine bay loom. Not very exciting to photograph so I’ve spared you from that...

While this is going on I needed to turn my attention to the wheel centre caps. 

These are the standard Team Dynamics Pro-Race 3 centres.

B310F715-9B21-4532-B073-7C1C7C966240_zps

”Just fit them FFS” I hear you cry! Well I could but they just look a bit too aftermarket.

They feature the same bore as the factory alloys 56mm so I have explored a number of OE caps but non of them have a deep enough shank (for want of a better word) to secure into the deep lip of the wheel. These wheels are approx 5mm deeper in the centre cap hole than factory.

So I’m left with modifying the TD caps. 

Remove the centre gel badge. Easy done from behind. The standard TD badge is 45mm diameter and nobody sells the OE looking Skoda green badge on line. I eventually found a firm in Lithuania who would make them up custom for me. Cracking service and great finish.

So far I’ve scuffed up the TD Cap and I’m thinking along the lines of filling the false bolt holes, smoothing the outer rim level then having them either painted or carbon dipped before fitting the new Skoda gel badge.

0044CE95-A94D-4376-A7D6-C6C3FADFB87A_zps

the new badges...

D542E4E9-7ABE-47DA-9E2B-0F8A9515DFE7_zps

more soon when I’ve made my mind up!!!

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is trickling along. Made some good headway with the wheel centre caps, I sanded all the gloss paint off them and then plastic filled the little fake bolt holes, took a bloody age.... (no wonder I’m 2yrs+ into it), then plastic primed twice, flatted down then textured painted, to match the other black finished items on the car. 

Popped the new Skoda gel badges in and I’m quite pleased. Total waste of man hours but what part of this project isn’t?

F8887434-186F-44BB-9078-747D647D5723_zps

371A73DB-4EB4-4277-B6DF-75F650E24120_zps

2838EE64-A609-4782-B4C5-740FEEF090BA_zps

My attention was then turned to sorting out the front towing eye position. As most of you will know, running the big FMIC means no chance of fitting the original temporary towing eye.

So I started off with this...

7A1757CD-D69C-4D0B-968C-B1833545BE62_zps

Sliced the end off, and machined two flats onto it so I can tighten it with a 17mm spanner..

61D5A0F2-3FC6-4048-8D28-28468BC41846_zps

Left hand thread kids - don’t forget!!!

The plan is to drill and tap it to take a m10 bolt, m10x1.5, and then bold a lurid coloured strap directly to it. It’ll be hidden away thankfully so shhhh, nobody will ever know.

Example of how deep it will go, don’t worry I’ll fit a high tensile bolt when it arrives..

8E73E01B-87B9-4E08-A5A9-7DF8D0BE3D10_zps

Currently waiting for a new 8.5mm HSS drill bit to be delivered then I’ll drill and tap it. 

More soon..

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 3