VRS TSI Clutch Slip / Replacement after 17K Miles / Skoda reluctantly pays-out after proof of defect

Lessons learned....

Buy the Merc...pay that bit more and avoid this shower of ****e.

Not always the solution. Scottish friend of mine, ex army mechanic and turncoat health and safety adviser bought a merc. Beautiful car, brand new as well. Had a puncture early morning, started to swap it over and as he's about to put the space saver on there's a groan followed by the typical scissor 'jack' collapsing like an accordion. He was understandably upset. Mercedes official response? He jacked it up wrong.

Happens at all levels it seems.

I actually really like the car, and appreciate that sometimes components do fail. The shocking thing is the way both Essex Auto Group and Skoda UK have treated me. If Essex Auto Group had done their job properly in the first place, or if Skoda UK listened to their customers and actually investigated disputes, then things would have been resolved a long time ago. Instead I have suffered an absolutely shocking Skoda ownership experience, and Skoda have done their reputation harm. I will not buy a Skoda again, my family and friends will avoid them also, and my wife currently refuses to drive the car.

They say that you can tell how good a company is when something goes wrong. My recent experience is that Skoda suck. A good car has been let down by an incompetent Dealer and extremely shoddy Customer Services.

After providing notice and forwarding my Dealer the clutch Inspection Report, Skoda have reopened the case and will reassess my claim. This is a bizarre turnaround from last week, when Skoda CS told me that the case was closed and that they could not reopen it. I guess seeing the report has opened some eyes.

• Like 2

Yup this will be my 3rd and last Skoda...even though every one I've had has been fantastic.

I'll be going to Ze Germans after my lease is done (not VW)

I'm selling my 987 boxster if ur interested? It is German after all..

After providing notice and forwarding my Dealer the clutch Inspection Report, Skoda have reopened the case and will reassess my claim. This is a bizarre turnaround from last week, when Skoda CS told me that the case was closed and that they could not reopen it. I guess seeing the report has opened some eyes.

Bizarre indeed, what's the bet that rather than do an about face and admit they were wrong, they will try to save face and offer you a good will percentage. 

The only percentage I will now accept is 100% + Inspection Report + costs.

Skoda have treated me absolutely terribly. I knew that the clutch must have been faulty and the Report confirms this unequivocally by identifying a clear manufacturing fault. I have owned many cars, some having covered over 100,000 miles without issue. To have a clutch fail so prematurely was clearly not caused by driver behavior, and help from this forum plus Expert Independent Assessment has proven me correct.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 3

The only percentage I will now accept is 100% + Inspection Report + costs.

Skoda have treated me absolutely terribly. I knew that the clutch must have been faulty and the Report confirms this unequivocally by identifying a clear manufacturing fault. I have owned many cars, some having covered over 100,000 miles without issue. To have a clutch fail so prematurely was clearly not caused by driver behavior, and help from this forum plus Expert Independent Assessment has proven me correct.

My clutch hasn't failed yet (not even near to) but I know for sure not everything is fine with it. I have a feeling my car might be an ex-demo car and it has been trashed on it's early life.

Anyway, there is one thing that I don't think you have mentioned and thag should be on your first post: what is the manufacturing date for your car?

This might be relevant for future reference of others in case there was a bad batch...

My car was built on 1st March 2014. Most of the premature Golf GTI & R clutch failures I have found on Google were also on early 2014 cars. Most started slipping within the same year as manufacture and at under 10k miles, but unfortunately nobody else kept the parts so I cannot tell whether my defect was part of a bad batch. Most other people had theirs replaced under warranty and without the aggravation Skoda UK have put me through. I think that I treated my car far too gently.

It is made absolutely clear within the inspection report that the warped pressure-plate and unven wear of my clutch parts were not caused by overheating or driver behaviour. Manufacturing defect was the clear cause.

Edited by Orville

My car was built on 1st March 2014. Most of the premature Golf GTI & R clutch failures I have found on Google were also on early 2014 cars. Most started slipping within the same year as manufacture and at under 10k miles, but unfortunately nobody else kept the parts so I cannot tell whether my defect was part of a bad batch. Most other people had theirs replaced under warranty and without the aggravation Skoda UK have put me through. I think that I treated my car far too gently.

It is made absolutely clear within the inspection report that the warped pressure-plate and unven wear of my clutch parts were not caused by overheating or driver behaviour. Manufacturing defect was the clear cause.

Did you notice while researching others clutch failures whether they reported similar issues with the bite point that you had?

I would be surprised if the two issues you were experiencing were not related.

Did you notice while researching others clutch failures whether they reported similar issues with the bite point that you had?

I would be surprised if the two issues you were experiencing were not related.

I couldn't find any other mention of bite point behaviour, but most others had their clutches replaced without issue, so did not have to pursue the possible causes by themselves. I think my clutch may have suffered from a combination of issues, but the one which has been proven without doubt is the pressure plate defect. What I do know is that the old clutch never felt anything like the new clutch does.

Edit: My advice to anyone who suffers a refused warranty claim and who honestly believes they have been wrongly treated is as follows.

*Keep a record of events and communication.

*Ask to retain the parts, even if Skoda charges extra for them.

*Pay for any work with a Credit Card. Do not pay with cash or via Debit Card.

*Ask Skoda to clearly explain the reasons for warranty refusal.

*Ask them to reassess their judgement. Allow them every chance to correct an error, or to confirm exact failure cause.

*Seek advice online and investigate similar owner issues. This forum has been very helpful for me.

*If you remain convinced that Skoda has wrongly refused a valid warranty claim, and if Skoda refuses to investigate further, obtain an Independent Inspection Report. My report cost around £200, but I chose an extremely well-qualified and experienced Assessor (others were cheaper and lived closer, but I wanted the best available). Note that this is a risk. The Assessor may or may not find in your favour so be as certain of your facts as possible beforehand.

*Show Skoda the report and allow them one final opportunity to resolve the dispute amicably. If the report indicates clear fault on Skoda's part then they should also cover your costs.

*If Skoda still refuses your claim, contact your Credit Card Company, Motorcodes.co.uk, and if all else fails pursue Legal Avenues. An Independent Inspection Report carries much weight, and most Courts will respect its conclusion. Legal action is of course the final resort, but the Small Claims process is very easy to use and very cheap. It will also cost Skoda a lot more money to defend their case and cover costs.

*Finally, be patient. Skoda WIIL try to wear you down in the hope you will give up and go away.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 2

i'm not supprised that skoda customer service has been this bad. last year i bought a new superb, after some problems with the order that skoda caused they were calling me every week with an update to keep me happy. collected car on Dec 24th. 4th January received call from skoda cs telling me my car was at docks in country and will be delivered to the dealers by end of the week.

the gasp on the phone when I said " dam sure the car is in the country as its sitting on my drive" told me everything I needed to know about this company

Essex Auto Group contacted me today. They offered to refund 50% of clutch replacement costs (£429) reading seeing the Inspection Report. They say both themselves and Skoda UK still see this as "wear & tear", despite clear and expert evidence otherwise.

I have declined Essex Auto Group's derisory offer and will now send full details of my dispute to both my Credit Card Company and the Automotive Ombudsman. The Credit Card Company have already placed the clutch payment in-dispute, and Motorcodes have registered my case but await further details.

I have provided both Essex Auto Group and Skoda UK every possible opportunity to correct their misdiagnosis. I have proven clear manufacturing-defect but they delay and will not admit to liability. I have spent 8-weeks doing their job for them, and they refuse to see it. I will not give this up because I know that my clutch was faulty and unfit for purpose.

Good on you Orville, It's nice to see someone sticking to there guns. How many would have just walked off and let it go.

10/10 to you Sir

• Like 2

Legal has to be the last option. I have to prove that I have tried every other course of action first, otherwise it may weaken my case. Skoda have had 8-weeks to resolve this - they clearly choose to ignore the evidence. Now I will allow my credit card company and Motorcodes fair opportunity to step in.

I cannot do any more than I have done so far, and I will follow this up all the way. It should not have been down to me (the customer) to prove manufacturing-defect. Essex Auto Group should have seen it immediately, and Skoda UK have been just as poor. If the Report had placed any blame upon me then I would have accepted it and moved on. 

Okay, here are the report conclusions. Essex Auto Group have seen the full document, so I see no reason to hide it.The full report contains much additional technical information, measurements and supporting evidence, but the conclusion is clear.

3VOh2Ab.jpg

So there you go, both Essex Auto Group and Skoda UK renege on a valid warranty claim and refuse to accept a clear and Independently proven manufacturing fault.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 4

As was pointed out earlier, there is much more at stake for Skoda on this issue, hence, their reluctancy to admit a fault with the part.

There is this thing called a precedent and at this point, for them, it doesn't matter anymore if you are right or wrong - it is the consequences of admiting you are right that they are worried about and that they won't do unless ordered by a court.

Even then, I suspect you will get to court and they will settle there and put a gag on you as part of the deal.

Offtopic, but I recently was on holiday and rented a car. Came back to it to find it smashed against a wall after the handbrake failed - car was surrounded by construction workers from a construction in front of where it happened.

I noticed the handbrake was still on when I reached the car so I asked them to be witnesses of that fact and they recommended that I call the police, which I did and who also registered everything.

After all this, I called the rental company emergency number, explained all and they sent a tow truck and a cab to take me back to their office and get another car.

While there, getting a car, I casually mentioned it is not a common thing to happen and the car was properly not well maintained...

...to which he replied "...but here in the system it says you lost control of the car while driving and crashed..."

After I hit them with the police case number and with the fact I had several independent witnesses, they quickly changed their tune, but if I hadn't done that, I would be screwed and they would have just said I changed my story after and I would have no way to prove it...

So, and in short, the point is: Even though you might be right, companies will always try to find a legal way to get themselves out of things and defend their interests. No such thing as morals for a bigger company.

• Like 1

As was pointed out earlier, there is much more at stake for Skoda on this issue, hence, their reluctancy to admit a fault with the part.

There is this thing called a precedent and at this point, for them, it doesn't matter anymore if you are right or wrong - it is the consequences of admiting you are right that they are worried about and that they won't do unless ordered by a court.

Even then, I suspect you will get to court and they will settle there and put a gag on you as part of the deal.

I agree with what you're saying partly because once they agree to fix one there could be floods of cases however, now it's been proven to be a manufacturing defect independently isn't it time Skoda bit the bullet and held up their hands, admitted a mistake on their part and reimburse? I would have thought that would look a lot better for their image rather than drag it to court and have a judge decide?

Orville - Massive respect to you for taking it this far! Most people including me would have given up by now. 

Personally, I feel that the Dealer does not want to admit to not inspecting the parts correctly in the first place. They obviously did not perform a straight-edge test. They had no answer as to why the plate was unevenly worn when I asked upon collection, and suggested that it was because the springs were blue, indicating abuse. The springs were blue because that is their true out of factory colour - the Inspection Report even says this is because of special heat-protective coating applied at the factory (it is blue). Added to the fact that the Dealer originally told me the flywheel was knackered (until I asked to keep the parts), but then changed their mind and said it was fine, I feel they are trying to cover up laziness and incompetence.

I also believe that the Dealer (Essex Auto Group) have only passed selected information to Skoda UK. Most of the photos and information given to EAG were not mentioned within my case notes.

So, Dealer cover-up plus Skoda preferring to side with their Dealer and not listen to the customer or Independent advice. Major FAIL on both parties.

Comment: The above is my true belief, based upon 40+ emails and 30+ telephone calls, face to face meetings with the Dealer, plus Independent Report. I have been unbelievably reasonable and they have been unbelievably incompetent.

Edited by Orville

Details and Inspection Reports have been prepared for my Credit Card Company and Motor Codes. It may take a week or several for them to respond, but I will provide updates when available.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1