The battery as the new frontier

Ryeman

1 minute ago, Ryeman said:

I don’t want to continue servicing an ICE .

Then you best wait a few more years because you'll have to rely on rapid charging infrastructure for long distance trips, charging during toilet stops. With 200 miles EV, you'll only be able to drive somewhere 90 miles away and back within a day without charging. Or 180 miles one way if you have destination charging. Or ~150 miles between rapid charging stops.  (That's 2-2.5 hours of driving on motorway, far enough for my bladder!)

In UK, this is the best EV charging map https://www.zap-map.com/live/

There's also the American site http://plugshare.com/ 

For rapid charger, we are nearly there for payment methods:

• new network InstaVolt is accepting contactless card payments on the machine at per kWh rate  (the ideal method of payment and rate)
  • Ecotricity "Electric Highway" is moving towards pay per kWh system start of next year, still need an app though. (the important one that matters the most because it's in motorway services)
  • Pod-point is moving towards contactless payments, currently you pay via website/app, per kWh.
  • Only Chargemaster's Polar is a stupid monthly membership based network.

Then, all we need is a roof over the rapid chargers like at petrol stations.  (remember, rapid charger use case is different to fast chargers, the latter is destination charging) 

Our lucrative government PV incentive expires in 2025 so by then, with home storage as well, I’ll be properly prepared with expectations of significant change.

Those areas that have had power off for 2 days in the recent cold weather / snow / wind could really have benefited from being able to use the power in their cars battery pack or home batteries. 

Sadly now the car would need charging someplace.   

Solar panels and wind turbines on homes were possible and home  electricity generation is the way to go when you can not get National Grid power.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42297150 

Edited by AwaoffSki

45 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

Then, all we need is a roof over the rapid chargers like at petrol stations.  (remember, rapid charger use case is different to fast chargers, the latter is destination charging) 

We have on at our Devon cliffs site (and it solar, lucky we get lots of sun down there too)  ......

The Solar Charge Points at Devon Cliffs - and only 2/3 of the cars shouldn't be parked there! (Image: T. Larkum)

• Like 2

Other places get sun as well, and when the panels are snow covered you just need someone with the H&S assessment and training and equipment to clear the snow off the panels.

PS.

The electricity generated on those panels might generate electricity, but not enough to be doing all the charging of those vehicles 

while they are in the bays hooked up.

Power cuts in the area will mess that right up, the Diesel Generator will need firing up.

But then have a Power cut and there are Fuel Pumps off at filling stations, ATM's and tills unless they have their own emergency power supply.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Seen quite a few solar (PV) on the roofs up here.....covered in thick layer of snow/frost.....not deep but a good 1inch covering...

That's got to cut down the electrical generation.

Maybe if they had an electric heating element built into the panel to warm it up & de-ice...

How making certain you have a storage battery pack, & use this to supply the heating element? 

Unfortunately you run the risk of an ever decreasing circle, .....capture short daylight into battery pack to then use to heat solar panel to stop icing, which enables you to capture short daylight into battery pack.

Solar very good until you encounter certain seasons & climates.... 

The E pedal ........strange because NOT having or using it is a bit of a surprise to me........if you worry about range that is -

http://canada.autonews.com/article/20171213/CANADA/171219876/nissan-ups-range-horsepower-price-of-leaf-for-2018?cciid=email-autonews-weekly

11 hours ago, Ryeman said:

The E pedal ........strange because NOT having or using it is a bit of a surprise to me........if you worry about range that is -

http://canada.autonews.com/article/20171213/CANADA/171219876/nissan-ups-range-horsepower-price-of-leaf-for-2018?cciid=email-autonews-weekly

It'll become second nature when you drive it. It's like lift-off engine break, but smoother, more control and stronger. I believe the new Leaf is set at 0.2g.

Problem I find is when battery at 100%, you don't get any regen. So your driving habit is changed by battery condition. With this E-pedal, Nissan will blend regular brakes with regen braking. This means you are able to consistently use 1 pedal driving without minding the state of charge.

1 pedal regen braking is nothing new. All EV with large enough battery can be set to do it. Nissan just blends regular brake with it so that when battery is 100%, the lack of regen braking doesn't catch you by surprise. Like all EV's, it's one of the options you can enable or disable to your liking.

• Like 1

OT, but i hope Panasonic are better at making Car Batteries than they are at Alkaline batteries,

or is it just there are so many fakes using the trade name Panasonic & for sale in discount stores, market stalls etc and this can not be stopped?

Panasonic still might mean 'quality', unless you have purchased 16 batteries for £1 and not used them until Christmas morning, 

then need to go buy batteries before Christmas day afternoon.

*Imagine with a EV going away visiting @ Christmas and all the family gathered and needing their EV's charged as well.*

Need to turn off the Oven and Christmas tree lights.*

img_9354-panasonic-3-c.jpg

71EEsaT1BML._SL1274_.jpg

Edited by AwaoffSki

Superb shmuperb. When will Skoda realise that their best selling model is the Octavia. It's pretty much the ideal car for most people, that's where they should be looking at phev and electrification. Golf GTE in an Octavia shell would be great, seems like the best current use of resources until battery power density per tonne takes a bit more of a step from where it is now.

In the UK for several years before the end of the Fabia Mk2 Production the Fabia was the best seller for Skoda.

Then the all new Mk3 and rather poor diesel engines.

http://skoda.co.uk/news/skoda-posts-record-uk-sales-in-2016 

Not much in it last year between Octavia & Fabia.

So maybe if they get on with the Hybrid Hatches and Estates they will be again the best seller as Diesel sales / first registrations drop off with the Octavias and others.

Lighter smaller but roomy cars / estates just right for EV's first off.

Edited by AwaoffSki

2 hours ago, Ryeman said:

About time. Spent far too long on mediocre hybrids and now London treats them as as bad as pure ICE cars they have finally seen the light.  

I do think there should be an exemption for hybrids with a range extending petrol engine that produce less than say 15 gm/km to be fair though ie like the bmw i3.

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

About time. Spent far too long on mediocre hybrids and now London treats them as as bad as pure ICE cars they have finally seen the light.  

I do think there should be an exemption for hybrids with a range extending petrol engine that produce less than say 15 gm/km to be fair though ie like the bmw i3.

They haven’t abandoned fuel cell though.........a quid each way.

There seems to be a host of new battery technologies hitting the EV news lately, It makes you wonder if it's just 'vapour ware' or a real game changer for the EV revolution.

If Enevates new battery technology claims are to be believed it would mean the death of  ICE  cars virtually overnight. https://insideevs.com/enevate-claims-battery-can-recharge-10-c-5-minute-recharge/

17 minutes ago, lancpudn said:

There seems to be a host of new battery technologies hitting the EV news lately, It makes you wonder if it's just 'vapour ware' or a real game changer for the EV revolution.

If Enevates new battery technology claims are to be believed it would mean the death of  ICE  cars virtually overnight. https://insideevs.com/enevate-claims-battery-can-recharge-10-c-5-minute-recharge/

Endless accelerating change.

All those PHD students in all the universities of the world churning out original research.......not to mention the Manchester University Graphene Institute research.

With all the clever individual research it is the blending in to a actual automotive package that is the breakthrough.  

Most of still need a car with a little internal combustion engine to get that 300, 400, 500 mile range we sometime want.

I think both the new Leaf and Zoe are both good examples of where we are going but the Zoe needs an estate version, possibly with a 60 kW-H version would be good and to fit a little range extender like the BMW i3 has would be great.

Might as well then just have the hydrogen engine,

no batteries and no electric motor other than the 24 volt system for the cooling system etc.

Why is it that the Japanese and Chinese & South Korean are so keen on the EV's, is it to do with having nuclear generation and being keen to have more control 

over transportation rather than the Middle East Oil producing countries?

On the supply side here, if you want to check out a current Leaf you have to make a special request simply because they aren’t ‘sold’ here.

I saw one once........parked at the curb and plugged in with the lead across the footpath.

The last thing dealers want is EVs.

12 hours ago, Ryeman said:

The last thing dealers want is EVs.

That's true. EV is a threat to the dealership maintenance model. Dealership's interest is to help you maintain the car, rip you off in the process.

I had my Leaf in for warranty check on something loose under the car. It was easily tightened no hassle. But was told the brake pad and disk needs replacing on a 3 year old 19k mileage car. I then took the car to my trusty ATS guys for a free brake inspection, no problems and plenty of life in them. So for my RCI Finance supplied free services (aka inspections), I'll be sure taking the car to a different dealership.

15 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

That's true. EV is a threat to the dealership maintenance model. Dealership's interest is to help you maintain the car, rip you off in the process.

I had my Leaf in for warranty check on something loose under the car. It was easily tightened no hassle. But was told the brake pad and disk needs replacing on a 3 year old 19k mileage car. I then took the car to my trusty ATS guys for a free brake inspection, no problems and plenty of life in them. So for my RCI Finance supplied free services (aka inspections), I'll be sure taking the car to a different dealership.

Our dealerships make little on the new sale but certainly make up for that by lengthening the warranty period and thus servicing bottom line.