More Supple Shocks for vRS ?

Does anyone know of any replacement shocks that would offer a nicer ride on the vRS ? I am not needing to lower the car, just after a bit more refinement over our crappy road surfaces :)

Don't know if it is any help but the one I'm on at the moment has 18s and AFAIK the 'standard' multilink suspension. I think it does pretty well over UK roads, not perfect but nothing that stands out that I would change. If I were to be super-critical I would say it rolls a bit too much in a long bend. But that is a spring/ARB issue.

VRS springs and standard rate dampers?

18's.

The reason I mentioned shocks over springs was more because I feel it's the damping that's in need of improvement mainly, I can live with firm if damped well :)

Yep, generally all VAG products are over sprung and under-damped. My mk2 rode much better on H&R monotubes than it did on OEM suspension.

You can get bilstein b8 for the mk3 vRS whilst you're in there it makes sense to put a set of eibachs on at the same time (only 100 quid-ish)?

One other thing to try maybe - the 18"s run on 91 load rated tyres for some reason but the car actually only needs 88 rating - hence the quesion around wheel size -the 19"s on my 230 are 88s already. The lower load rating tyre has softer sidewalls which should give you a better ride.

I love my VRS but the hard ride was getting irritating on long country trips or poor town roads, so I upgraded to these KW Units. 

General blurb: www.kwsuspensions.net/kw/info/coil_overs/kw_street_comfort/

VRS Specific: www.kwsuspensions.co.uk/produktfinder/?resetFilter=all&openCat=0&openCatName=Coilover+kits&setSubfilterID=130&setSubfilterGroupID=1-0

Not cheap but does the job.

Paul

I love my VRS but the hard ride was getting irritating on long country trips or poor town roads, so I upgraded to these KW Units. 

General blurb: www.kwsuspensions.net/kw/info/coil_overs/kw_street_comfort/

VRS Specific: www.kwsuspensions.co.uk/produktfinder/?resetFilter=all&openCat=0&openCatName=Coilover+kits&setSubfilterID=130&setSubfilterGroupID=1-0

Not cheap but does the job.

Paul

Paul - any pics of your car with those on? How does it ride now?

The ride is more supple and it seems to me corners better on bumpy roads than before - not jumping and skipping anymore.

These KW units also allow ride height and damping adjustment but I left height as standard and damper setting as KW recommended.

Paul

post-104245-0-44832500-1461590943_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Some helpful answers guys thanks :)

I was looking to change the tyres too, The straightline traction from the oem bridgestones is shocking, although they seem ok at cornering ??

Thinking of Goodyear eagle F1 3's

I will investigate those suspension links cheers :)

Edited by Mr Grump

I have fitted Goodyear Asymmetric 3s and have no issues with them. They are also a bit quieter then the Bridgestones which have nasty roar on old coarse tarmac.

They are running on Dynamics alloys (as in the picture) which are 3.5 Kg lighter than the VRS standard alloys and this also helps the suspension cope with the bumps as it doesn't have to work so hard.

Paul

Hi Willydog, I can only see listings for the MK2 Octy for Bilstein. (I am presuming the mk3 is listed as 5E ?).

I take it the b4'S are basically the factory fitted models ?

Does anyone have an idea of costs to get fitted ?

Edited by Mr Grump

I went through this with my O3 Elegance, which was on 18s, OEM torsion beam suspension and originally fitted with Dunlop ditch finders. I fitted Eibach Pro Springs, Bilstein B4 shocks and Goodyear F1A2s all round and the initial improvement was worthwhile, but after a further 30k on the clock the ride was becoming harsh and the rear end was knocking at low speed, possibly worn bushes? Anyway, decided to chop it in for a 2yr old 520d and despite 19" rims and M Sport suspension, the ride quality of the BMW is sublime by comparison, even my aging mother commented how the BMW feels like it's floating on air compared to the Skoda! I know the vRS rides better with the IRS set up as SWMBOs Leon FR has the IRS and it rides far better than my O3 did but I was/am still blown away by how much better the Bavarian barge rides. In my opinion, don't waste your money upgrading suspension, you may improve the ride marginally, but in the end the limitations of the platform and engineering are what compromises the ride quality, save your cash and put it towards a 5 Series!

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

Don't know the 5 series, but my 320d M Sport was a real PITA for tramlining/noise and backache

Got a mate with a 320d MSport on 18s, he says my 5 is loads better ride so must be down to platform, I think the 5 borrows heavily from 7 series. I still cant believe how good it rides. I know what you mean about tram lining though, have noticed this on mine a few times already, must be down to the massively wide tyres.

You will find a rear wheel drive car can tramline due to less weight being over the front wheels. My rx8 did and my boxster does to a certain degree both RWD.

I agree with your comparison regarding octavia suspension vs a properly suspended and damped car. The octavia suspension feels Crude and pretty much low tech. Cheap parts probably.

• Like 1

I bet that (one of?) the root cause of disease for my 3 was the mandatory runflat wide tyres on 18', while I seem I remind a weight distribution advertised as very near to 50/50.

No doubt that suspension are one of the weak points of the octy, even from my past experience in this group on the O2, I remember many briskodians pretty happy with Koni FSD or enjoying a smoother ride with a sport spring setup (Eibach, H&R), even on O3 !!!

Matt, it seems I should have a closer look at the 5 series. Too bad, at least here, it is very expensive.

• Like 1

Matt, it seems I should have a closer look at the 5 series. Too bad, at least here, it is very expensive.

They are v expensive here too, but a 2014 model was same as a new Octy, so thought I'd give used a try this time.

Hi Willydog, I can only see listings for the MK2 Octy for Bilstein. (I am presuming the mk3 is listed as 5E ?).

I take it the b4'S are basically the factory fitted models ?

Does anyone have an idea of costs to get fitted ?

Yes 5E3 will be for the MK3, B4 will similar to factory, B6 are mono tube and cost double but the quality of damping is superior as low speed ride is firm but the it is very fast reacting damper and the faster you go the better the ride.

• Like 3

I like this idea too, my suspension height looks good and not worth hassle of lowering to be honest but I think could do with replacing due to the miles...

Bilstein are very expensive it seems ( not sure of full set price but looks like a grand or something!) are their any other options like sachs with a decent uprated over standard and not counting as being modified ( just replacement) by insurers though ( not lowering ).