Octavia 3 driving modes

So here's the thing. I used normal mode for my first 3 fill ups and get to about 45ish mpg on a car that has done 1800 miles, which I thought was pretty good given how new the car is. I decided for my last tank to try Eco mode and it looked very good to start with however, on filling up today my MPG has dropped to 43. Not much difference in my driving or routes so I'm wondering what does everyone else do? I have tried sport but I don't really need it on my commute and haven't been on any drives recently to make it worth while. 

So, my question; is running in Eco worth the bother over the longer term- I don't know whether it was me but I found the car a bit hesitant on hills as compared to normal mode.

Since you have the manual transmission the different modes are less relevant than for those with DSG where the modes control what gear and rpm change points are used

I am guessing that the modes will only affect steering wheel weighting and throttle response (not engine mapping as far as I'm aware)

Your driving style is going to have far more affect on economy results than any mode selection, so just stick with the mode you like best.

Other posters with mode selection have suggested that it is possible to customise the individual settings, like 'Normal' throttle and 'Sport' steering weight so that could be fun exploring.

Enjoy your car, I find the idea of a manual Scout very appealing.

• Like 2

It is all about driving style. However I have posted similar recently on a different thread.

Using Eco I find I have to use more input on the throttle to get moving. But it's smoother in stop start. Using Sport, my input is less to get going, less pedal travel and so I'm more tickling the accelerator and being easier with the juice. It's swings and roundabouts really. But nice to have the choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Me to, My Vrs hasn't been out of Vrs Mode for almost 2 years. 

Are you so sure?

From my experience the setting of Sport mode is cancelled at each Power off/on of the engine.

I guess it would be the same for the VRS mode on a vRS.

I understand this is to avoid getting too high in revs until the engine temperature has reached a secured enough value.

Even with a DSG you only get about 5% better economy using ECO mode. I tried it for a tankfull then went back to normal. I have the "individual mode" set up for long motorway journeys with eco mode for everything but steering set on sport - and if I use that I will push the selector lever over into manual to prevent the dreaded "coasting". Apart from that its all normal all the time.

• Like 1

Are you so sure?

From my experience the setting of Sport mode is cancelled at each Power off/on of the engine.

I understand this is to avoid getting too high in revs until the engine temperature has reached a secured enough value.

My VRS starts up in whatever mode I leave it in. It spends 80% of its time in individual mode, 10% in sport and 10%in normal. I don't change for economy, it's just for comfort.

• Like 1

My VRS starts up in whatever mode I leave it in. It spends 80% of its time in individual mode, 10% in sport and 10%in normal. I don't change for economy, it's just for comfort.

as above, my Vrs also starts back up in which ever mode it's left in when you turn the Engine off.

The car also has a " Wife " mode, slower than Eco Mode   :S

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 1

The driving mode has nothing to do with fuel economy.

Fuel economy is entirely controlled by how heavy you are with the right foot.

ECO, normal & Sport mode only changes the accelerator pedal response.

For the same torque you need to press more in ECO, less in Sport.

If you press the pedal 100% you will have the same acceleration in all modes.

So unless you use ECO mode to help you drive more economically (accelerating more slowly) you wont see any difference in MPG.

With a DSG-box ECO/SPORT mode will also change the shifting patterns which may give you an improvement in economy.

However, again, unless you adjust your right foot the savings will be minimal.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure the Individual Mode I defined is kept in the memory of my octy.

Though I'm not in a vRS, I like mine with engine in sport, and the rest in normal. It isn't really any quicker but it just feels sharper without stamping on the gas all the time!

Regarding fuel economy I think there are so many other small variations for any given journey that  mpg is not relevant - not for me anyway....

I'm pretty sure the Individual Mode I defined is kept in the memory of my octy.

I was not clear. The mode remains after power off/on, be it sport or individual.

It is just that the engine setting is back to normal (if it was sport) unless you select again the mode or shift the DSG gearstick.

When the engine setting is Eco or normal, it is kept after power on/off.

At least, this is the way mine behaves.

Thanks for all of the responses chaps.

I think I may have confused the situation a bit.  I've never had switchable modes before! My driving was roughly similar over the same roads in Eco as it had been in Normal. As I said, i noted, as did many of you that the car felt less edgy and needed a bit more of a shove on the throttle for a similar result as when in normal. I had expected, and was led down he garden path by the trip computer too, that this would lead to improved economy but this is clearly not the case. Next tank will be in sport to see what difference that makes.. :devil:

• Like 2

Are you so sure?

my VRS retains the driving mode. No defaulting to normal on mine. I have a manual. Edited by Skodev

I think that Sport is more efficient, because it brings you to your desired speed quicker and then you can cruise.

I remember my first experiments with an old megane: I discovered that by pushing harder and cruising I was more fuel-efficient than slowly increasing my speed... not counting how boring was the latter :)

BTW I think this is the general idea of fuel-efficiency brought by remaps/tuning boxes

Edited by Genoa1893
  • Like 1

Isn't it the case that only Eco mode has the coasting feature in the DSG models? Surely that also gives some reasonable level of economy gain.

On that front I'm amazed on a flat road how long the car retains a decent speed when it goes into this coasting mode.

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

Is there a way of turning down the noise/sound generator in the VRS when in individual mode 

This!

I don't have a Vrs mode as such, 63 plate its just marked as 'sport' but I'm pretty certain it has the noise generator.

Or I could be losing it.   :nerd:  

• Like 1