Octavia III DSG vs Manual

During the next few days I’m going to buy a Skoda Octavia III 2L TDI 143PH, I’m completely torn between manual and DSG gearboxes, knowing that I live in a small city, we don’t have a very experimented and professional mechanic, Also my daily work trips are 25km per day using the highway, and a 200KM weekly mixed trip between country roads and highway. Please help me choose.

It's a question of the expectations. DSG is better for cruising, comfort, smoothest possible gear changes. If you like to drive more directly / sporty or intend to tune up things a bit - manual may be a better pick.

Myself I travel ca. 2x 22k m a day to work and back. Every now and then a longer trip (900km tomorrow...yikes). I drive DSG and I'm happy with it. Sometimes though in the D mode it tries to be a bit too conservative when you try to rush things, but S improves situation. You can also go semi-manual in the sequential mode, especially fun if you have wheel with shifting paddles.

PS: I guess it doesn't matter how good mechanic is - now it's more IT job for both manual and even more so DSG ;)

• Like 1

DSG. I went from a BMW auto to an Octavia manual. The manual is nice enough to drive but I miss the auto box when stuck within traffic. My Octavia clutch also failed after just 17k miles, but this seems like an isolated incident which I am chasing with Skoda.

Test drive....then choose.

It's like asking brunette or blonde. Each have their merits.

I have to disagree - brunettes only!

PS:I just hope my wife (has hair rather opposite in color to brunettes) does not read this :angel:

If you don't hear from me in next days, that means that she does :punch:

• Like 4

Never had a DSG before, have always been a manual driver. My vrs is DSG and I have to say it is great. It stays in normal mode 95% of the time and does a great job, but you have the paddles that you can use at any time (I.e quick overtaking) to ensure you don't get caught out.

Obviously personal choice but if you are after an automatic the DSG box should not disappoint.

For where we live and our congested roads in the south of the U.K. I'd never have a manual daily driver ever again. Especially now modern autos are so good. Manuals are for fun weekend cars only for me.

• Like 1

The DSG box is not as well suited to a diesel engine as it is to a petrol one.  It's better than the previous VAG slushmatic autos but has it's weaknesses.

Great if you're feeling lazy, in traffic, left foot's fallen off etc.  but worse on fuel, hessitant sometimes and just not well mated.

You have got to test drive both and find what suits you.

I would agree that you need to test drive them, however keep in mind that there is a bit of a learning curve to get the best out of the DSG which you may not get on a short test drive

I was 'forced' into a DSG because of the config I wanted. Having been a manual driver forever I was curious but not initially bowled over by it, now, however, I don't think I would go back for a daily car.

You have manual control when you want it and can knock it back into auto when you are in traffic or simply can't be bothered. I use both the stick and the paddles equally for manual depending on how and where I am driving. I could live without the paddles as the stick falls to hand and works quite well in manual.

It may suit the petrol better as it revs the engine when pushed, but I find it often changes up very quickly in normal driving and a torquey diesel would do well with this for most other driving.

During the next few days I’m going to buy a Skoda Octavia III 2L TDI 143PH, I’m completely torn between manual and DSG gearboxes, knowing that I live in a small city, we don’t have a very experimented and professional mechanic, Also my daily work trips are 25km per day using the highway, and a 200KM weekly mixed trip between country roads and highway. Please help me choose.

I believe you should state the pros and cons for the DSG.

Have you got any experience of auto gearboxes? Is it just you'd like trying it?

You can always get the wrong manual gearbox, but in general, you should expect more reliability from a manual gearbox than a DSG.

Your kind of travel, mainly on highways does not justify the DSG.

Finally, I'm not sure you get here a good feedback for the association of the DSG with your engine. This combo seems specific to North Africa and the 143hp engine is not sold in Europe.

Kinda wonder with your lack of milage why your going for a diesel ?

But I've got the DSG with a petrol and I love it

I third that. Low Mileage in a diesel DSG you may not get very good fuel consumption, I'd go for a petrol DSG.  I've driven a few Skoda and Audi A1's and they do feel quite nippy and smooth when you want to be.

Edited by davitc
  • Like 1

I've been driving DSG since 2009 and wouldn't go back to manual. I had a manual vRS diesel for a year and while it was a great car - I'm sticking with automatic.

I'm even more thrilled to have a DSG petrol car now - mine does go like a rocket. The 1.8TSI is about as powerful as the vRS diesel I had!

However, it's really down to personal preference in my opinion.

Edited by g_tee

I have to disagree - brunettes only!

PS:I just hope my wife (has hair rather opposite in color to brunettes) does not read this :angel:

If you don't hear from me in next days, that means that she does :punch:

I have a space ready for Mrs Goldfinger under the patio, I'm sure for a few Euro's I could get Mrs Wlange in as well.   :notme:

• Like 2

I have a space ready for Mrs Goldfinger under the patio, I'm sure for a few Euro's I could get Mrs Wlange in as well.   :notme:

Might have been too late for me anyway... But as you can see I'm still typing, so maybe I'm safe after all :D

• Like 1

The 1.8TSI is about as powerful as the vRS diesel I had!

I would even say 1.8T gives considerably more punch than RS diesel.

It was 5 years ago when the vRS went but yes - I do love the power out of my new motor

This was the previous (mkII) TDi vRS version. It is more at match with the new 1.4 TSi.

I would even say 1.8T gives considerably more punch than RS diesel.

I'd say this is a bit excessive. The RS diesel is very close in performances.

The 1.8 TSi is more flexible, it has more capability to be driven 'on the torque' at low speed than the diesel, and then, it's able to go up 6500 rpm still pushing.

But on pure performances, they are nearly at par. The handicaps of the RS are its weight and its narrow (comparatively) usable rev range.

Edited by JPH0091

But on pure performances, they are nearly at par. The handicaps of the RS are its weight and its narrow (comparatively) usable rev range.

It would be fun to test them neck to neck. See how much of a difference there really is.

The only benchmark Ive seen, is the 0-100kmh sprint, where the 1.8 is around 0,8 seconds faster.

Some good points. One thing I definitely don't miss from my previous car was the terribly narrow power band. The 1.8 revs really nicely and pulls all the way to the red.

Difficult to answer really....... I have a Octy 3 150 Diesel with DSG.  I drive BMW, Audi and Volvo in the "day job" and they all have auto boxes.

There are sometimes when I have had that hesitation that some people talk about when the DSG is mated to a diesel engine - I put that down to the fact that I tend to leave mine in Eco mode.  If I change the drive mode to "normal" or "sporty" then I dont suffer that hestiant problem and to be fair, its not really a problem, just a little blip every now and again.

Having had intensive training in driving autos in different scenarios, most problems with driving autos arise from the fact that the DRIVER expects the auto to be exactly like a manual - its not.  You still have to drive the car and use the auto box.

Its like the auto pilot on the plane - you cant just tell the plane to take off and land, you have to have some control and give feedback.

As an aside, I'd never go back to a manual.  Where's the fun in that?

• Like 1

Hmmm,

I have been pondering our next car, and conclude that probably a diesel DSG Octavia Estate,

possibly in Scout spec (for the greater ride height and underbody protection rather than actually wanting 4*4 )would "fit-the-bill", rightly,

especially since one may now avail of the 5 year warranty, and  have more leverage, price wise, when buying a dirty filthy unreliable  VW Diesel.

And I have probably grown fond of the Octavia, and most importantly,

KNOW the driving position does NOT trouble my back, which would be a gamble if changing to another marque.

Though quite impressed by the seating position and cabin  in the 3008/5008 Peugeots, I distrust their electronic handbrake.

Absolutly ditto for the stonking value old model run-out deals on the Renault Scenic at present.

I did note that both Toyota and Honda appear to have stuck with a traditional cable operated parking brake btw.

I really really fancy a CRV Honda mind, though rather have the as yet unavailable 1.6 diesel in 2WD/FWD with the 9 speed automatic permutation.

I may soon have to travel an extra 50mile commute each day, so will soon run der Octavia around the clock another time.

Decisions decisions.

marcus

Edited by dieseldogg

Hell bent on a manual but having been persuaded to test drive an automatic (DSG) within two minutes of the test drive I was hooked. My car is has done 50,000 miles and I still love driving it. I would never buy a manual again. DSG every time.

HOWEVER, after 40,000 miles the gearbox needs an oil and filter change. The cost is normally £180.00 although I had it done for £140.00 in Sinclair Skoda Swansea where I bought the car from.