Light switch Query, new Octavia, Puzzled

Hi.

The light switch has 4 positions,  Off, Auto, Sidelights, Headlights (dipped).  On Auto and Sidelights an indicator light turns on in the switch itself. On Headlights there is no indicator light, though the Sidelights light stays on. 

I assume this is deliberate and not a fault, but why?  There is a light on the instrument panel for main beam, why not for dipped beam as well.?

Puzzled.

KK

Been covered many times this question. Yes there isn't an indicator for headlights. There was on the mk2.

Yep, covered before, people get quite hot under the collar about it.

Argument 1: How hard is it to look down at the light switch to see if your lights are turned on? I really don't see the issue.

Argument 2: Having the dipped headlight icon in your line of sight is easier and will help prevent those driving round without lights on when they should be on.

Personally I'm all for argument 2, the icon was a simple and effective method. Auto lights aren't infallible. I see too many people driving round in fog, rain, and other types of poor visibility with DRL's on and no headlights.

My MkII Octavia had one, my MkII Superb has one, our MkIII Octavia doesn't. Progress hey?

MkII Superb...

article-1087053-02621B21000005DC-248_468

MkII Octavia...

maxresdefault.jpg

MkIII Octavia (nothing on the dash):

VW-OEM-Auto-Headlight-Switch-Fits-For-VW

Edited by silver1011

Yep a lot of manufacturers put the warning light in the instrument cluster. Think this came about when instruments became illuminated as soon as the engine started, that's why some don't have lights on at dusk, they can see the instruments.It is strange the way the VW group went backwards with this one

Unless it is foggy, then forgetting about it means you end up being the one driving around with no lights on.

Or after it has finished raining on the motorway, wipers are no longer on constantly so the auto headlights turn off, except visibility is still reduced due to spray, again you are the one with no lights on.

Leaving it in Auto and forgetting about it worked quite well before because seeing the dipped headlight icon turn off in your line of sight prompted the driver to manually turn dipped headlights back on if needed.

Now there is no obvious prompt, hence more and more people driving around with DRL's on only.

Technology is great, but it shouldn't always be relied on. Those that do are the ones we all look at and shake our heads at as we pass. 

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

If there is enough spray that there is reduced visibility then your vipers will be on, hence also your light.

The British weather might be different than the Danish, but in two years I have only had to manually turn it away from auto twice

Auto works pretty well for me, except for the extremely odd method of turning your foglights on which seems to involve turning your lights off completely and then twisting, pulling and fumbling the knob to the left to get your foglights on which is near impossible on a dark, foggy night when you're struggling to see where you're going! Personally, I think this little quirk is dangerous and poorly thought out, nil points for that Skoda, the foglights should be able to be turned on quickly and easily but completely separately from the main headlight controls.

• Like 1

Auto works fine for 99% of the time.

The only time I've had to override it is in fog, it didn't turn the headlights on.

If there is enough spray that there is reduced visibility then your vipers will be on, hence also your light.

The British weather might be different than the Danish, but in two years I have only had to manually turn it away from auto twice

The wipers have to be on constant for approx. 30 seconds or more for the auto feature to turn on the headlights.

Spray on the motorway often requires wipers, but rarely are they on constant, even less likely with auto wipers where you get a single wipe every few seconds.

Hence lots of drivers blindly trusting their auto headlights...

Cars-drive-along-the-M4-Motorway-in-the-

No one is disputing the effectiveness of auto headlights, just the absence of the on-dash icon.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

If you want to check your lights are on in auto then glance at the switch, if its lit up with the green indicator then your lights are on. Realistically it takes no longer than glancing at the main dials... the green glow on the switch is glaringly obvious unless your in bright sunlight when they would be off anyway. To turn on your fogs just pull the switch out, no need to twist it away from auto at all(unlike some of the older VAG cars with auto lights)

Auto works pretty well for me, except for the extremely odd method of turning your foglights on which seems to involve turning your lights off completely and then twisting, pulling and fumbling the knob to the left to get your foglights on which is near impossible on a dark, foggy night when you're struggling to see where you're going! Personally, I think this little quirk is dangerous and poorly thought out, nil points for that Skoda, the foglights should be able to be turned on quickly and easily but completely separately from the main headlight controls.

You do know that you can turn on the fogs by pulling out the light switch, right?

Pull it out once and front fogs come on, pull it out twice and also rear fogs come on.

This is regardless of which position the switch is on, provided the lights are not completely off.

• Like 1

If you want to check your lights are on in auto then glance at the switch, if its lit up with the green indicator then your lights are on. Realistically it takes no longer than glancing at the main dials... the green glow on the switch is glaringly obvious unless your in bright sunlight when they would be off anyway. To turn on your fogs just pull the switch out, no need to twist it away from auto at all(unlike some of the older VAG cars with auto lights)

I guess we are all different, having to remember to consciously keep checking the headlight switch is not something I'd want to do. I tend to just manually turn my lights on and off now, at least I know that they are always on.

I notice the in-dash icon turning on / off without having to take my eyes off the road, it is in my peripheral vision being right at the top of the speedo.

Had it never been there it would be less of an issue, it's the way it has always been there and for some reason Skoda decided to remove it.

Even when it was there the light switch worked in the same way so it isn't as though they've changed anything else before removing it.

I have a visual indicator on the dash for main beam, even though I can see the lights are much brighter than normal, I have a visual indicator on the dash for the indicators, despite the ticking and the fact they self-cancel. A visual indicator in your line of sight to tell you if you have your lights on or not seems common sense to me.

It isn't the end of the world, just a backwards step in my opinion.

Just like the removal of the illuminated warning lights on the bottom of the front doors, the covers over the cubby holes in the boot, the absence of the puddle lights under the wing mirrors (on my Scout) etc.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

You can also adjust the sensitivity of the lights so that even the slightest bit of gloom puts the lights on.

Leaving it on auto is pretty infallible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has become quite a debate. My thanks for all the input. I am always cautious about relying on Auto settings, because it can lure you into a false sense of security. I prefer to think for myself. 

I guess I can cope without a warning light on the instrument cluster, but I do think this is technology gone mad. Next stop is the self-driving car. 

Thanks all

KK

Dont forget DRL's are only on the front, unless you have had the relevant adjustment made to the onboard computer to have rears on as well. This requires some onboard computer tweaking, NOT infotainment system. 

You can also adjust the sensitivity of the lights so that even the slightest bit of gloom puts the lights on.

Leaving it on auto is pretty infallible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is this done?

I guess we are all different, having to remember to consciously keep checking the headlight switch is not something I'd want to do. I tend to just manually turn my lights on and off now, at least I know that they are always on.

I notice the in-dash icon turning on / off without having to take my eyes off the road, it is in my peripheral vision being right at the top of the speedo.

Had it never been there it would be less of an issue, it's the way it has always been there and for some reason Skoda decided to remove it.

Even when it was there the light switch worked in the same way so it isn't as though they've changed anything else before removing it.

I have a visual indicator on the dash for main beam, even though I can see the lights are much brighter than normal, I have a visual indicator on the dash for the indicators, despite the ticking and the fact they self-cancel. A visual indicator in your line of sight to tell you if you have your lights on or not seems common sense to me.

It isn't the end of the world, just a backwards step in my opinion.

Just like the removal of the illuminated warning lights on the bottom of the front doors, the covers over the cubby holes in the boot, the absence of the puddle lights under the wing mirrors (on my Scout) etc.

I have puddle lights on my Scout, is that because I have folding mirrors?