good price?

wesleyuk

So that isn't the same as any other second hand car?

There are plenty of sheds, that some people have paid a lot of money for new, and they've been treated just as badly.

ya pays ya money, ya takes ya choice.

At 12 months old in comparison to the OP asking if a 3 year old car was a good price, I would opt for something newer with a manufactures warranty at the same price.

When "I" buy things I tend to look after them as it was my money. All the Motabilty cars may well be serviced but many are treated like total crap as they cost them nothing!

Edited by Defenderben

Please explain the 'Cost them nothing'?   that sounds very Daily Mail.

£229.80 Every 4 weeks for a car is not costs them nothing is it?,

yes it comes with Insurance Covered, 2 Services and maybe free road tax.

(car free or low VED, but Disabled Person Exempt anyway whatever the VED would have cost.)

£8.20 is quite a lot to have a car for 3 years and hand it back.

*Currently the 4 Citigo with ASG on offer are from £52.50 - £55.50 a week to lease from Motability.*

But then lots on families use Family Tax & Child Tax Credits or other benefits to Lease Cars,

so they will get them for nothing as well i suppose.

Maybe best to find like for like then, when finding bargains,

ASG & Cruise Control.

Plenty cheap around manual Up!MiiCitigo, & plenty ASG if you look.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

At the moment there 4 Citigo's for sale from motability all 13 plate Elegance's. all with mileage from 14500 -17500 

We paid £6995 for a pre reg Citigo black edition in January from Progress Skoda, Northampton. Great service and 10 miles on the clock.

You should be able to pick second hand citigos up for peanuts! Citigo, ups and miis don't hold their values at all so are great cars to either get new on a pcp or buy second hand!

The ASG 'box is considered to be a bit crap, and it's an option you should only be looking at if you /really/ need it.

Look for manual ones, that should open up your choices a bit more?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I need an auto for the odd time the boss needs it (actually its more when I need her car (bigger)  she takes mine to work).

I don't find it that bad tbh, although I do often knock it down a cog manually, which is very easy to do as the gear stick 'lives' in the central position so its just an up or down push. 

OP, have you looked into getting cruise control retrofitted, or an aftermarket one? With the aftermarket one you wont get the extra dash display though.  I asked the dealer 4 years ago ref our auto Toyota, I was told £450.  Not long before we got rid of it I found out all it needed was a £30 switch and a £5 cable.

When "I" buy things I tend to look after them as it was my money. All the Motabilty cars may well be serviced but many are treated like total crap as they cost them nothing!

Stereotype alert!

When i "use" things, whether they belong to me or not, it makes no difference.

I have respect for things that belong to others and treat them as I would my own.

I have had my Motability car for 3 years and I invite you to inspect it.

There is not a mark on it anywhere, apart from where I lift my wheelchair in and out of the boot.

There are some people in the world who just don't give a ****, whether it's their property or not.

How would you know that any second hand car you buy has been owned by a scrote, or someone who looked after if?

You wouldn't, unless you inspect it.

interesting thread  :D

no i dont NEED an auto but i'm a lazy driver. 

i test drove the VW UP! with ASG last sat and found the gear change was very noticeable but i didnt think it would be that BAD as people said. if you drive normal its fine i think i'll get used to it.

• Like 1

What am I missing here?  A serious question not a primer to start an argument.

I read everywhere, and have done since their introduction, that the Citigo/Up/Mii trio are pretty much the best choice within the "City Car" category.

Glowing this and superlative that.

But when I visit this part of the forum I keep seeing evidence that they lose money hand over fist.  Autotrader has countless nearly new (or pre-reg new) three and five door SE examples ...some with 10 miles ... and they start at £6,500.

I glanced at the photos of one or two...the first thing that struck me was that with an SE spec (which I always thought meant a half decent collection of goodies) there were no alloys and no steering wheel controls and you still get bare paint on the doors and in the boot and, in all honesty, quite a few other omissions. Certainly there's no chance of electrically folding door mirrors for example - which I'd find handy and which even the little Picanto offers.

Yet all the reviews rave about them.  You fellas here are clearly best placed to offer first hand experience and I often look here to see what you have to say.  And it's a mixed bag.  Generally cheap to run in terms of insurance and mpg.  Poor in terms of retained values. Good fun to drive and roomy enough for most users albeit a rather small boot.  But quite a few complaints that don't get properly addressed by VAG i.e. gearbox noise, clutch click, poor sound insulation.

I've driven a couple and I'd love to love them ...especially as I have an excellent local dealer and I'm looking to swap my current i10 for something else - but there are enough aspects that don't fit the bill to prevent me buying a new one, but maybe a pre-reg one at a large discount might appeal...it definitely would if the automatic gearbox met with my approval BUT the auto. one I drove wasn't especially appealing and I wouldn't go for one.

Edited by oldstan

They are excellent cars. They have a few flaws but ones I could live with.

I'm not sure the asg is very good though.

Oh and I'd definitely avoid buying new if you are a cash buyer. You will loose too much money too quickly! They work out cheap on a pcp though.

I love my car, I've only had it a week and a bit so far, but it's already got over 350 miles on it. I will agree they seem rather underspecced, no cruise control or parking sensors as standard, even on the SE L (but heated seats on the SE L which are unnecessary, but, I'm not in charge of standard and option fitments).

I suspect a lot of owners who are extremely satisfied with their car aren't going to be writing reviews of it, but the ones who have problems will be moaning about it. That's why every car is a money pit according to the Internet, as the reviews will always be madly biased towards the negative aspects.

I accept I probably would've been much better off with a Kia Picanto or maybe a Renault Twingo, or indeed, a Smart ForFour, but honestly? I don't care. I love the choice I've made. (For the record, I like the exposed metal bits on the inside, they add a touch of colour to a somewhat bleak interior)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

They are excellent cars. They have a few flaws but ones I could live with.

I'm not sure the asg is very good though.

Oh and I'd definitely avoid buying new if you are a cash buyer. You will loose too much money too quickly! They work out cheap on a pcp though.

I'll be completely honest and say that the countless variables and uncertainties associated with PCPs have confused my simple brain.  Having seen many of you fellas commenting on PCPs here...and seeing many say that because of high depreciation they expect to lose money at the end of the term...I can't see how a PCP would prevent the losses we're talking about.  I could happily (and probably would) pay cash but have recently seen how I could save more by taking out a PCP and gaining the apparent benefits - and then cancelling, either within 14 days - or after a period of some weeks and saving a substantial amount.

Then there's the Motorpoint approach to consider (not one I'm keen on) ..... and one that has pros and cons aplenty.

The fly in the ointment might be that I would really prefer to PX the current car in order to avoid tyre kickers and time wasters.....I've always been OK selling privately but maybe it's time to take the easy and safer option of PX.

A pcp will work out cheaper as at the minute it's 0% and the cars are depreciating more than what skoda say so you pay less than you would if you pay cash.

Ie for 3 years of my citigo I've paid 5k on a pcp. If Id paid cash and sold the car I'd have lost at least 6-6.5k meaning I'm up by 1500 pound.

I get the principle that you're alluding to but would like to see immovable calculations from a dealer setting out what I'm going to pay over three years accompanied by a written assurance that the car will be worth "x" much and that I would be assured of coming out of the deal a couple of grand better off than buying cash with th best discont that was available at the time. (I imagine that might be around £700 off as we speak?).

I did say earlier I haven't grasped the finer details of PCPs and reiterate it here...just in case it's not plain for all to see :-)