This is the way a top class Dealership sells Skoda

I got a bunch when I bought my MX5 second hand 18 years ago... Gave them to my girlfriend (now wife) but not had any since...

• Like 1

I got a bunch when I bought my MX5 second hand 18 years ago... Gave them to my girlfriend (now wife) but not had any since...

I bet your wife is relieved to hear that you haven't had any girlfriends since getting married :P

• Like 3

When you will be visiting dealership during the car ownership for any kind of warranty issues / car problems you will be able to judge how they treat you, not now.

I take your point, toni8b, but I doubt that will happen - this is the fifth Octavia I have bought and only once did I have an issue and this was handled competently within the warranty.

Had that only once and that was many years ago buying a secondhand Peugeot 406 from Taggarts in Motherwell, Henry's just handed me the keys and that was about that. It does make a difference giving good customer care at the very start because usually if a garage isn't that interested then, they won't be any more interested a year or so further on when your car might need something more than just a service.

I had flowers once from the BMW dealer in Exeter back in 2002, when I bought a new 320.(gave to the then girlfriend) Didn't get any with the Scout......they would not have lasted very well in the truck that ferried it all the way down from Preston Lancashire to Devon!!

I got a goodie bag on my birthday a couple of years ago.

A card, Rapid t shirt, Skoda key fog and a chromed die cast model of the octavia.

The dealer is no more so I'm not expecting anything else

In contrast, about three years ago, I bought a new VW Passat from a very well known dealership group. After what seemed hours of the hard sell about wheel, tyre, paint, gap, 'protection' insurance I finally got the keys. The two keys were tied together with a bit of string and a plastic label so I asked for a key ring and was told that they no longer supplied them but I could buy a genuine VW key ring for £8.  

I almost forgot - the fuel warning light was illuminated on the Passat and the MFD showed that there was 10 miles worth of diesel in the tank; fortunately the nearest petrol station was only five miles away!

My experience with the present Skoda dealer (Mitchell's) was the absolute opposite complete with flowers, key rings and a full tank.

Edited by bertJ

I'm far too old and cynical to believe the smoke and mirrors. An £8 bunch of flowers doth not a good dealer make, only time will tell! The local seat dealer give away a bunch of flowers with every car and the auto correct anti swearing thing in this site won't let me use the actual words required to describe their customer service!

• Like 1

Some people are very easily pleased. Personally I'd rather they did away with ****y offerings like this and just priced the cars reasonably in the first place. Why buy directly from a dealer when you can buy from a broker and still get a car from the same dealer network and save thousands. Buy lots of flowers with that money and it's far more personal for the wife / girlfriend  :D

I must point out to those who have derided the flowers and the dealers that in this case the price of the new car matched the best offers available from the direct dealers on the web and I sincerely hope that Westgate Skoda still made a profit because good business is a deal that pleases both parties.

• Like 1

I'm today's market I'm not sure dealers deserve a profit from car sales given that they appear to be a service industry based on loyalty rather than performance. There, I said it.