Wind whistle around drivers door

Just as the title, does anyone else have trouble with wind whistle around the driver's door?

I check to make sure the window is properly shut, I have checked the seals around the door and the window but cannot see any reason why I get the wind whistling even at low speeds.

yes I think its the wing mirror though, fold your mirrors in a see if it still whistles

It is not the door mirror on my car.

When you first get one of these cars the wind noise is very noticeable, not sure if it is the wing mirror shape or just lack of sound proofing but it is rather noisier than my last car was. You get used to it in time but it should be a bit quieter than it is.

• 6 months later...

Have you figured out any solution to this wind whistle problem? I hear it from the passenger side. I also thought that the window wasn't shut completely it sounded as if there was a small crack open. I only hear it from the passenger's side not from the driver's side. And obviously it gets more noticeable the faster I drive. I wonder if I should bring it back to the dealer and if there's anything that can be done about it.

Is it anything to do with the climate fan?

Switch the fan on - is there a whistle noise which seems to be near the door?

I once had a loaner skoda rapid, this had a quite pronounced whistle noise when the climate fan was running. Fan off and no noise. From what I noticed was that with the fan on the internal cabin pressure rose slightly (I also felt the pressure increase In my ears) and the air was escaping via the drivers door seal area.

Maybe you have something similar?

Mine is the same. Driving above 100 km/h it sounds like something is loose outside the window, flapping really fast in the wind. When it rains, I can see that the flapping noise corresponds to the way the streams of water moves on the side window just where the mirror is fastened. 

Very annoying! 

Coming to an Octavia after a BMW 3 series, I immediately noticed and pinpointed the source of the pronounced wind and external noise source. It is coming from the lack of secondary rubber seal around the door, that any modern car has… (in Skoda range only the Superb has it), and this secondary seal (together with maybe some more door panel insulation?) creates, the more `hushed away` feeling that you get in VW Passat for example… (In the VW range even the Golf has it, I believe that is one way how VAG want`s to differentiate Skoda from VW..)

I have noticed this only after buying my car, and now I`m working on a retrofit seal, by ordering VW Passat seals, and adapting them… Until the VW seals arrives, I have mounted some self-adhesive neoprene, and managed to attenuate the wind noise with regular 3M self-adhesive neoprene (in the local store, I have found -and used- 8 x 8 mm self-adhesive neoprene, that’s why I have putted 2 rows,  I think it would be better if you can find 18x15 or 16x15 mm neoprene, and use just 1 row).  

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/6620/tmPDNb.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/8995/MVSoXV.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/7433/82t4XC.jpg

• Like 2

That's interesting. What is the VW passat's part number that you ordered? How much material have you used altogether on all four doors (length in meters). Don't forget to post an update when you replace the seals with the passat seals and any detailed info about the install process that you can provide would be extremely helpful.

Ok, I will post detailed info on the new VW seals, next week (part numbers, installatation, etc. ). For my test setup for the front I have used 3 meters per door, because the front doors already have factory seals on the lower half of them (probably it was much too noisy, that`s why the engineers have decided to put a bit of sealing, just to be a tad more quiet then a Dacia...), and for the back aprox 4 m/door - this numbers can be divided by half if using 1 thicker seal.  

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/743/VxipEA.jpg

Yes, I noticed and immediate improvement especially near the B pillar where the intrusion of outside noise was the most noticeable. I have done the drivers door first, and after that tested it on a journey with a friend by switching positions in the front. The difference is most noticeable at low speeds, and/or around town, because at highway speeds there are a lot of noise anyway.... 

I think your cars have faults. I have no excess wind noises unless the car is travelling at speeds in excess of 60mph, but at that speed the tyre noise tends to become more intrusive.

Low speeds I have no wind whistle.

I'm sure my doors have two seals also one inner and one outer (I think this causes the water retention in the doors).

I think your cars have faults. I have no excess wind noises unless the car is travelling at speeds in excess of 60mph, but at that speed the tyre noise tends to become more intrusive.

Low speeds I have no wind whistle.

I'm sure my doors have two seals also one inner and one outer (I think this causes the water retention in the doors).

Mine came just as in the linked pictures, without a secondary seal, I have also inspected a VRS int the showroom and it did not have it either, glad tough that yours came with it from the factory.  

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, did you try the secondary seals from the VW Passat? Did they work and improve noise reduction around the doors? I have compared door seals of the Octavia with the VW Passat and the Superb, and have noticed extra seals on their doors. @istvan

On 2/12/2017 at 22:25, skGOda said:

Hello, did you try the secondary seals from the VW Passat? Did they work and improve noise reduction around the doors? I have compared door seals of the Octavia with the VW Passat and the Superb, and have noticed extra seals on their doors. @istvan

Although the seals have arrived, for the moment I have not taken them from the dealer, because I have two major problems with my car that I need to sort out, before I will re-assume my wind-noise project: Have ordered (and received) Audi A3 (8V) seats, -just waiting for installation but they have come without airbags -, and to change coils and/or dampers to make the car softer, because for me this combination of soft-cloth seats -with no lower back support, and that transmits every small shake of the car-, and hard suspension is an overkill, causing backpain and headaches (the car sits on the garage from aprox 3-4 weeks and I use my wife`s car)

On 2/12/2017 at 22:25, skGOda said:

Although the seals have arrived, for the moment I have not taken them from the dealer, because I have two major problems with my car that I need to sort out, before I will re-assume my wind-noise project: Have ordered (and received) Audi A3 (8V) seats, -just waiting for installation but they have come without airbags -, and to change coils and/or dampers to make the car softer, because for me this combination of soft-cloth seats -with no lower back support, and that transmits every small shake of the car-, and hard suspension is an overkill, causing backpain and headaches (the car sits on the garage from aprox 3-4 weeks and I use my wife`s car)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had that noice on mine also,

I notis there was some strange "glue" marks near my door seal covers, 

The door wasnt in line and marks was from the bottom of the door..

There was a tiny gap in the seal at the same hight as seatbelt tensioner..

Skoda dealer fixed it in 5min, they also changed the rubber seal around the door.