vRS TDI so far...

Saw my first facelift Octavia this morning passing me on the A338 with the LED lighting and, although I'm obviously biased, I thought the new split light cluster looked awful. Almost lazy in its design IMO - like the slanting LED part was almost an after thought. Reminds me of the split lights on the old Mercedes E Class, which also looked awful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ToffeeMRD said:

Saw my first facelift Octavia this morning passing me on the A338 with the LED lighting and, although I'm obviously biased, I thought the new split light cluster looked awful. Almost lazy in its design IMO - like the slanting LED part was almost an after thought. Reminds me of the split lights on the old Mercedes E Class, which also looked awful.

I haven't seen one in the flesh yet, but from what I've seen in images online, there's no angle which makes those split lights look good. For me the problem is that the inner cluster is at a completely different angle to the outer cluster and there's nothing in the bumper's lines to help blend it all. At least the E class W212 facelift design had both lights at similar angles and the bumper had angular lines which matched the lights.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ToffeeMRD said:

A transporter load of them past me today heading to the dealership. Saw a dark grey one which didn't look too bad. 

In the flesh they look alright; could live with one but certainly won't be rushing out to buy one anytime soon.

On 2/10/2017 at 19:45, ToffeeMRD said:

So car had its first service (at a dealer I wasn't keen on taking it to) and, as expected, all ok apart from some inner wear on the rear tyres - probably my driving style!

Noticed an advert for updating the sat nav to the latest Garmin update which includes lane assist. Has anyone done this as they were very unsure at the dealership - eventually said it was an update via an external USB stick and then plug that into the USB port? Reading the Skoda site, seems I update the SD card?

Looks much better than the current sat nav version I got with the car.

Cheers.

I know this is going back a bit but only just caught up with your logs. At what mileage did your 1st service come up. My service indicator has gone a bit mental and the dealer said they'd address it at the service!!..........they said book in around 18K ....which ties in with my old A4

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Been a long time since my last update and I still think it's a great car. But read on as it's been eventful...

More relaxed driving from me has seen a number of 50+ mpg journies and I've got to say the Canton is sounding superb cranked up. My comparison is against an Audi Bose system and my previous Passat - the Canton is very good and even when it's very loud there is little distortion. 

I had a hefty windsreecn chip repaired shortly before we went away on holiday, amazing what they can do in such little time.  

The car swallowed 3 large suitcases and a couple of cabin bags in the boot - I'm sure that's as good if not better than my old Passat. 

Upon arrival in the UK after holiday, feeling slightly jaded after a long day, we picked the car up and drove back. Hit M25 traffic and got a low engine oil light and needed fuel anyway, so stopped at the services. I always carry oil, coolant and windscreen wash for work so opened the boot t get the oil and the Mrs got the kids some food. This is what happened a few hours later, over 100 miles from home....

00C24FB5-CB8B-4069-A287-8C2C3BEF0211_zps

Now I'd love to say the Skoda broke down and was unreliable...but I'd be lying. I picked up a container from the back and I opened the oil chamber up and poured the liquid from the container in.....to see pink liquid going in!! Coolant!!!!

I had to apologise to the kids for my language thereafter as I knew I couldn't start it. 

I've got to take my hat off to Skoda assistance as they sent the recovery truck within an hour (the lease company said I may have to pay) and with didn't charge - which was a huge relief considering it was entirely my fault. 

My wife's face however was far from relieved when she got back.....surprised papers weren't served.

3 & 1/2 hours later we were home and the car picked up the next day by another recovery vehicle and dropped at a local Skoda garage. A bill of £144 for a oil/filter change and its running as good as before. 

I won't be doing that again....

• Like 4

Wow, least it's all sorted with no harm done. Had you not realised and driven off it could have been worse!

Agree with the comments on Canton, for the money it's a fantastic upgrade and one of the most enjoyable bits of the car on a busy commute twice a day!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

Wow, least it's all sorted with no harm done. Had you not realised and driven off it could have been worse!

Agree with the comments on Canton, for the money it's a fantastic upgrade and one of the most enjoyable bits of the car on a busy commute twice a day!

I knew as soon as the coolant was steaming from the oil chamber that I couldn't risk it and that proved me right. Think I'd have been paying £000's then!

Surprised I got away without buying the Wife anything......yet

• Like 2

On 2017-4-11 at 19:38, ToffeeMRD said:

In a dealership a couple of weeks ago & up close & in the flesh I thought it looked quite classy. My PCH finishes next year & I'd be quite happy to get a FL next time.

On 6/10/2016 at 12:02, tomsimes said:

The fake engine noise can be turned off - I'll be happy to do it for you using VCDS (have done my own). That noise meant I spent most of my time in 'Individual', with everything set to Sport apart from the sound generator. I am in Dorset (Wareham area) most Tuesdays, so if our calendars align I'll happily tweak that bit for you.

With regards the extra pedal travel - my MY16 vRS TDI manual has exactly the same, but it appears to make no difference to acceleration. I think it's simply a 'parts bin' component, and is used on the auto for kick down but serves no purpose on the manual.

I have the 2015 vRS tdi and I can't say I've noticed any fake engine noise when in sport mode, to me it just sounds like a regular 4 cylinder diesel.

James

2 hours ago, Previouslyrobygerrard said:

In a dealership a couple of weeks ago & up close & in the flesh I thought it looked quite classy. My PCH finishes next year & I'd be quite happy to get a FL next time.

My intial thoughts were against the split light and DLR cluster - still not keen, but of course I'm biased to the old model and I could see me getting used to it

48 minutes ago, Superman001 said:

I have the 2015 vRS tdi and I can't say I've noticed any fake engine noise when in sport mode, to me it just sounds like a regular 4 cylinder diesel.

James

Put your foot down in Sport and then do the same in Eco (changing the vRS mode) - you should notice a difference in the sound which is the artificial acceleration noise

Edited by ToffeeMRD
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ToffeeMRD said:

Put your foot down in Sport and then do the same in Eco (changing the vRS mode) - you should notice a difference in the sound which is the artificial acceleration noise

I'll listen out a bit more carefully next time.

James

I'm assuming the rubber seals which are attached on the side of the rear windows are only for purchase and fitting via a main dealer?

Took the kids to Longleat today and the monkeys may have taken a nibble! They've left me alone the past 5 times this year :(

73DFC12D-29B8-4E12-826B-81E51C7DBD30_zps

• Like 1