Amundsen Satnav update

These updates seem to be getting more and more difficult to write to the Original Skoda SD card each time. The ECE2017/18 was very problematic. Errors suggesting no space left on the card when it was down to the final few files to unpack, unresponsive Downloader program etc. After several attempts it finally went in and I'm now in year 4 of ownership from new! 

4 hours ago, DavidY said:

Thanks for that.

Mine is 5E0 919 866
There's no letter following it though, just a (6 digit) number underneath

I've got a couple of genuine Skoda SD cards (both bought off eBay for around £30) - a 2014 5E0 051 236 (no suffix) one that includes 5E0 919 866 D in the list of part numbers in the dbinfo.txt file in the Root folder (currently in my Octavia with the 2017/18 maps), and a later 5E0 051 236 G one (currently in the house with the 2017 maps).

On 28/06/2017 at 08:54, DavidY said:

Tried re-formatting the card last night with 4k clusters and it seems to have worked. All files fit and car seems to accept the card.

Thanks for your help! :)

After two unsuccessful attempts at the default setting of 32mb, saying insufficient space at the very last couple of files (Turkey), and having really no idea what 4k clusters meant, I tried reformatting the SD card and changed the drop down box to the one that said 4 thousand and something bytes and it worked!!

I'm now off to try it in the car... 

I had hoped to download the updated maps but the download link does not work and I receive a error message on the Skoda update site.

Edit:

Problem solved, the link obviously doesn't like Macs, working on my Windows PC.

Edited by sneeks

Very recently purchased new facelift Skoda Octavia SE L with Amundsen system. The version information in the map is reported as ECE1 2017 with shield 2016-03 (build 20)  looking at this forum it seems ECE 2016/2017 is available. The update Portal http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/ states "The last update was in November 2016, the next update is scheduled for June 2017".

When I enter my VIN into the update portal no map updates are found and I get the message "There were no software updates for the VIN".

Do I have the latest version already? or is there a problem with my VIN?

I am really grateful for any assistance anybody can provide.

Thanks in advance.

Jon :-)

45 minutes ago, Jonny_a said:

Very recently purchased new facelift Skoda Octavia SE L with Amundsen system. The version information in the map is reported as ECE1 2017 with shield 2016-03 (build 20)  looking at this forum it seems ECE 2016/2017 is available. The update Portal http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/ states "The last update was in November 2016, the next update is scheduled for June 2017".

When I enter my VIN into the update portal no map updates are found and I get the message "There were no software updates for the VIN".

Do I have the latest version already? or is there a problem with my VIN?

I am really grateful for any assistance anybody can provide.

Thanks in advance.

Jon :-)

Jon

I am in exactly the same position as you. I'd be interested to know if the update should be available.

Cheers,

Paul

I recently updated my Amundsen to ECE 2017/2018 and, apart from my saved destinations no longer working, it was fine.  Didn't need to format it, just deleted the existing contents.  I also used the Skoda application to do the unpacking rather than 7zip.  The app works ok, but appears to be single threaded, meaning that when busy the UI freezes.  This makes it look like it has broken or stopped working.  I would suggest being patient.

Does it really matter if the SD card is official Skoda or not?  I'm very doubtful.  I would expect that validation and security would be enabled by the md5 hash file in the root of the card.  I would expect that your car's VIN would be encrypted into that file using the private key of an asymmetrical key pair, and then decrypted by the car using the public pair of that same key.  This mechanism would ensure that Skoda could control which car received which update without the need for "official" SD cards.

This is, however, all conjecture.  I haven't tried updating my SatNav with a non-Skoda SD

Edited by ms10

10 hours ago, ms10 said:

Does it really matter if the SD card is official Skoda or not?  I'm very doubtful.  I would expect that validation and security would be enabled by the md5 hash file in the root of the card.  I would expect that your car's VIN would be encrypted into that file using the private key of an asymmetrical key pair, and then decrypted by the car using the public pair of that same key.  This mechanism would ensure that Skoda could control which car received which update without the need for "official" SD cards.

This is, however, all conjecture.  I haven't tried updating my SatNav with a non-Skoda SD

I've tried a non-Skoda SD card in my Amundsen and can confirm that IT DOES NOT WORK.

Why? Nothing to do with an md5 hash file in the root folder (which would be removed when the card is formatted anyway). It's to do with the embedded but rarely used security feature builtin to every SD card (which is why they are called SECURE Digital cards). VAG do use the embedded security feature to store information that the Amundsen looks for to identify a map SD card.

And no you can't access the security feature using any publicly available formatting programs... unless, of course, you know different?

15 hours ago, ceepan said:

Jon

I am in exactly the same position as you. I'd be interested to know if the update should be available.

Cheers,

Paul

I have the same problem as you guys. I have a month old Octavia Scout and when I enter my VIN, it says "There were no software updates for the VIN."

Cheers 

Ari

The update to 2017/18 went well. But it's not very up-to-date. It's supposedly the same map as used in the HERE app. But the app version is much more recent. I only noticed this because a roundabout, near me built in 2016, is not on the new Skoda version.Perhaps Skoda doesn't know they have been duped.

I have just updated mine this afternoon, first time i tried i got an error disk full, the second time i deleted all the files on the sim card and it worked fine. There was no need to format the card. 

On 05/07/2017 at 13:43, sneeks said:

Problem solved, the link obviously doesn't like Macs, working on my Windows PC.

Thanks sneeks 

That solved my problem. The download button is greyed out on the Mac but not on Windows. I did it using a virtual Windows PC on my Mac. 

On 05/07/2017 at 21:45, ceepan said:

Jon

Cheers,

Paul

So there is an update for the Amundsen, link below

I am not sure why when I enter my VIN into the update portal it states that no update is available. It seems every who is seeing this issue has recently purchased their car. Maybe it takes a while for the portal to allow updates for new VINS?

Is there any reason why I should not backup the files in my map SD card onto my PC and try the link above? It seems a bit annoying that I have to do this when I have a new car, if an update is available it should be available from the update portal with my VIN?

I have a 1 month old Skoda Facelift Octavia Hatch SE L 1.4 TSI Manual with Amundsen. Can I do any damage by trying this? I assume I can always restore the files to the original state if this does not work? What is a MIb2 Amundsen? Is this the version I will have?

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Jon.

Map updates on VWs are showing as to big to fit the VW SD card....I think I lost Belarus....

Built in obsolesces on a 3yr old car...& still waiting for an update to the firmware on the satnav (Discover)...

12 hours ago, fabdavrav said:

Map updates on VWs are showing as to big to fit the VW SD card....I think I lost Belarus....

Try reformatting the card selecting the 4K cluster size option... then copying the map data to the card.

11 hours ago, SWBoy said:

Try reformatting the card selecting the 4K cluster size option... then copying the map data to the card.

I had considered this as a solution for next time. The fact that you did it & all OK then I will defo do this next time!! B)

PS I have also mentioned it on the golfMK7 site

Many thanks..;)

As per my previous comments I recently purchased a facelift Skoda Octavia with an Amundsen Sat nav and my maps were reported as ECE1 2017, from reading this forum I found that this is an old version of the maps and a newer version ECE 2017/18 is now available. When I go to the update portal an enter my VIN I am told no update is available.

I downloaded the latest version for the Amundsen using the link

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/431125-direct-download-links-for-ece-20172018-maps/?do=findComment&comment=4892046

and followed the instructions from on a Windows 10 PC

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/431125-direct-download-links-for-ece-20172018-maps/?do=findComment&comment=4893392

My maps have now updated and report ECE 2017/18 :-)

Don’t know why the update portal told me no update is available? Seems this may not be reliable? anyway have the latest now.

Jon.

6 hours ago, Jonny_a said:

As per my previous comments I recently purchased a facelift Skoda Octavia with an Amundsen Sat nav and my maps were reported as ECE1 2017, from reading this forum I found that this is an old version of the maps and a newer version ECE 2017/18 is now available. When I go to the update portal an enter my VIN I am told no update is available.

I downloaded the latest version for the Amundsen using the link

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/431125-direct-download-links-for-ece-20172018-maps/?do=findComment&comment=4892046

and followed the instructions from on a Windows 10 PC

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/431125-direct-download-links-for-ece-20172018-maps/?do=findComment&comment=4893392

My maps have now updated and report ECE 2017/18 :-)

Don’t know why the update portal told me no update is available? Seems this may not be reliable? anyway have the latest now.

Jon.

How did you managed to get the update to fit to the original card? It looks like it's over 13 Gt

15 hours ago, Hemi1966 said:

How did you managed to get the update to fit to the original card? It looks like it's over 13 Gt

Formatted the card in windows as FAT32 with 4k segments as per 

Fundamental problem for me with the 201718 version. Download on an iMac and mac book pro both throw up an error "Blob not found. The specified blob does not exist" so I don't get past the first stage. Tried it on Safari, Firefox and Google Chrome with same results.

I have windows 7 running as a partition. Download worked fine on this but the SD card, while recognised as the current 201718 version by the car throws out a no data found error and does not therefore update. Time consuming and frustrating. SUK say it's an IT issue so not for them and that as it is not a car fault the warranty does not apply. 2016 octavia vrs btw.

Update: Ran download etc again. SD card in car shows maps and will accept destinations, plot route etc. However the update software stage still tells me I have no data source!! 

24 minutes ago, kernowalan said:

However the update software stage still tells me I have no data source!!

The map update and the software update are two different things.

If you now have the 2017/2018 maps usable in your car then that's all the publicly available update will do - the software update is "officially" dealer only B) but search on here and you'll find a link and details how to update the software (which needs VCDS/VCP/etc. to clear a fault code).

Thanks SWboy. The Skoda instructions do say that after insering the updates SD card I should go Menu, Settings, update software hence my concern at the error message then returned. From what you say this is inrelevant to an update which makes me very happy.