Amundsen Satnav update

Thanks to the earlier posters, a very useful topic.  I updated my satnav just over a year ago, without any problem.  Mine is a MIB 1 and the usable space on its SD card around 7.5GB.

As I was going to reformat it anyway, I tried my previous data using NTFS instead of FAT32, and can confirm that it failed to work.  It brought up a message to insert a genuine Skoda card, even 'though it was a genuine card.  I also went through the cycle of finding that the current data would not fit when formatted to the FAT32 default.  It literally fell short by a few Mb's.  FAT32 with 4Kb clusters worked, with around 160Mb spare.  - Not a lot, I have to assume that by the upgrade in November, I may have to start deleting the maps I don't use.  Not that I use the Skoda Satnav for much other than telling me which road I'm in, It may be the devil you know, but I bought a cheap 'Chinese' Satnav on ebay for £30 a few years ago and it's been far more practical to use than the Skoda one. 

Having been wrestling with updating my Amundsen (Octavia III) and trying to get the download to complete unpacking to the SD card, I've finally succeeded, with the dealer not much help at all... Following guidance in this thread, I've just downloaded using IE (no idea why that should make a difference), formatted the SD card to FAT32 and 4k segments, and allowed it to unzip using the provided app - and it's worked. Previous attempts using different formats, different unzippers... all no good. Now, after about 10 goes, happy again.   

Edited by Windlass
punctuation

Right I'm ready to commit murder....Having spent several hours getting no further forward with the 2017/2018 update. I'm a MAC user but have a few PCs in the house also. Tried using the Mac method and it would always fail on copying the data at Turkey, essentially running out of space. Tried reinstating my old data and dragging just the map data. No dice.  So I formatted the SD card using FAT32 and with a 4096K cluste. size using my son's Windows 10 PC, For some reason it always downloaded the ZIP when I put my VIN number into the Skoda website . So I downloaded the 7-Zip software and followed the instruction to the word. This time it used 7,445mb of the 7,550mb capacity....phew so everything copied over. Went back to the car, slid the tab on the SD card and guess what......Now I'm getting invalid SD medium. Can someone please help me....? Very frustrated....argghhh

After much hand wringing and head scratching, I discovered it was something simplistic. The 7-zip application had placed everything into the root folder of the zip. So on the SD card it had the title of the zip file with all additional files contained within. So I formatted and tried again, ensuring that this default option of creating the root folder was disabled. Popped the card into the card and thankfully we're now backup and running with the latest maps. It was nerve inducing and I can't believe that Skoda and VAG don't support an application that can check the SD card content and automatically update as required. I remember an ancient TomTom from 10 years back that was capable of this. But if it was easy I guess it would be any fun....;)

Well done, Matt - I was about to offer only that perseverance seems to work in the end! I've been very grateful for the inputs of other members of this forum in getting through to the conclusion.... but it really isn't easy. Thanks, everyone!  

• 2 weeks later...

I have been following this thread with great interest as I, too, have had problems updating to the 2017/2018 version.

After failing at my first attempt (running out of space on the SD card just like lots of other people) I reformatted the card to 4K clusters, as that appeared to be good advice. However, I still ran out of space!

Maybe it was the way I approached the update - I don't know - but I am sure a lot of people will try the same method, as follows:

1. Went to http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-GB/Updates to download the new maps

2. This uses a file called downloader.exe which downloads a file called STD1_P67_EU_2017_18.zip from http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps. 

3. After the download had completed, I used 7zip to extract the files to the SD card (having saved the old maps and reformatted the card to 4K clusters). It stopped very close to the end saying there was not enough space!

Now the interesting bit - I thought I would extract the files to my PC hard disk (instead of straight to the SD card). Then I checked the size of the files and found the following:

- Markets folder was 7822454784 bytes and DBinfo was 203 bytes, which together is still less than the SD card at 8022654976 bytes (so why did 7zip run out of space??)

So, all I then did was copy the extracted files from my hard disk to the SD card, popped it in the Amundsen and it worked!

Hope this helps!

2 hours ago, mikeineasenhall said:

Now the interesting bit - I thought I would extract the files to my PC hard disk (instead of straight to the SD card). Then I checked the size of the files and found the following:

- Markets folder was 7822454784 bytes and DBinfo was 203 bytes, which together is still less than the SD card at 8022654976 bytes (so why did 7zip run out of space??)

Those sizes are actual used sizes of the files, not the space they occupy on the hard disk or SD card.

For example, DBinfo only uses 203 bytes but will occupy 4096 bytes if the cluster size is 4K. Each file will actually occupy the size it actually needs rounded up to the next multiple of 4K (if that's the cluster size) .

• 1 month later...

I also have struggled with updating the SatNav maps for my wife's Skoda.  My basic problem is that the latest update is too big for the 8GB Skoda SD Card which came with the system.  It's taken weeks of trying different things, and all without any useful assistance from SKODA.  They have been absolutely useless!  Contrary to the advice given by our local dealership, a generic SD card won't do.  It must be a SKODA SD card.  My solution is a work-around really.  Using the 7zip software (mentioned above) I opened the archive for the downloaded map update and deleted all the files for the Ukraine.  It's a country I'm highly unlikely to visit by car!  I then unzipped the amended archive onto the Skoda SD card, and it fitted fine.  When I popped it in the car it worked no problem.  Note: Make sure you unzip to the root directory of the SD card, rather create a new folder for the unzipped files.  The latter seems to be the default, but it doesn't work.  Hope this is of some help to others...

It does seem like an awful lot of stress to get 2 new housing estates and a roundabout every 6 months.

If it wasn't free would any of you bother?

I've only ever updated 2 Satnavs (out of about 15)  and yes they were the ones with free updates.

Interestingly though, they were both portable, so it was just about a case of plug into a PC and go.

Another reason not to have factory integrated ones with all the foibles we didn't know about when we bought it -

No possibility of speed cameras on the Rapid's Amundsen+ for instance.

When I've updated my maps I download them from the Skoda Portal, put the SD card with the old maps on it into my computer (Windows 10 desktop) and move everything on the card into a folder I create on the PC hard drive. When the download from the Skoda has finished it asks where you want to unzip it to and I say the SD card. At this point I go to bed or go out sans SatNav and in the morning or when I come back the unzipping has finished. Pop the card into the SD slot (incidentally if your equipment has two slots it doesn't matter which you use) let the SatNav do what it has to and Robert is your father's brother.

Don't understand this constant reference to 7 Zip is it only Windows 10 that lets you unzip a file without third party software. I know Apple is different and I can only speak for Windows.

Worked for me every time so far.

If the Skoda updates don't fit a Skoda supplied SD Card while the car is in it's warranty period that is Skoda's problem not mine.

I know what unzipping is I just don't understand the perceived necessity to use 7zip or other third party software. Why knock Skoda updates if you are not using latest Windows OS. If you're using Apple - it's nice to be different ain't it.

Edited by YMe
Muddying murky waters.

• 2 months later...
On ‎04‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 10:23, InexEng said:

Thanks from me too - it worked also. 64 plate - MIB1

But most importantly it gave me a chance to edit the - AMZoomConfig.xml  file :peek:

so now the Auto-zoom doesn't zoom out to a crazy long way (1.5miles and more ) when I'm in a built up area doing less then 30mph

:D

What tweaks did you make that worked? I can sort of see what the coding is doing, but not completely, and I don't want to spend ages experimenting until I get it right!

• Like 1

On 26/09/2017 at 21:44, YMe said:

If the Skoda updates don't fit a Skoda supplied SD Card while the car is in it's warranty period that is Skoda's problem not mine.

I know what unzipping is I just don't understand the perceived necessity to use 7zip or other third party software. Why knock Skoda updates if you are not using latest Windows OS. If you're using Apple - it's nice to be different ain't it.

We have a 2016 Yeti with Amundsen.  When I did my first map update it asked me to update 3rd party zip software as part of the update process.  With a subsequent update it didn’t and the whole process seemd to work differently (and more intuitively for a non-geek).  It may be that the update also embedded some new coding to simply the update.  In this day and age, there is no excuse for the SD Card not to do all the work - pop it in and auto run does the rest, perhaps with no more than the occasional box to tick along the way.

I see that an ECE 2018 file is now available for my car.

But the file size is substantially smaller (and also there was a disclaimer saying that some detail might be lost, or something on those lines).
Is everyone else seeing the same? Anyone noticed a loss of detail?

Be carefull, you can find 2 ECE 2018 map updates:

- The smaller is for Eastern Europe ( 5 Go)

- The bigger is for Western Europe (13 Go)

And Skoda update portal has mixed these 2 updates !

For Western Europe, pick up the bigger.

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Buswell said:

Hi,

Am in the UK, but the portal only gives me the option of the 5Gb file, If this is for Eastern Europe surely it will not work for me.

Any one got the download file for western Europe?

I've just checked my car  - entered my VIN and the UK website has come back with two files. ECE 2 2018 (5mb) and ECE 2018 (12mb),  The system tells me the map data for the UK is held in the larger of the two files: ECE 2018 (12mb)

There's also a file you can download for specific country Radio station logo's

On 13/12/2017 at 13:40, athon34 said:

Be carefull, you can find 2 ECE 2018 map updates:

- The smaller is for Eastern Europe ( 5 Go)

- The bigger is for Western Europe (13 Go)

And Skoda update portal has mixed these 2 updates !

For Western Europe, pick up the bigger.

Those 2 must be for different Octavia III models to mine.

For those of us with the 8GB Skoda SD cards (who can't use other SD cards) a 13GB file isn't going to work.  Plus I'm pretty sure the ECE 2018 file I saw for my VIN was neither of those 2 sizes.

8 minutes ago, DavidY said:

For those of us with the 8GB Skoda SD cards (who can't use other SD cards) a 13GB file isn't going to work.  Plus I'm pretty sure the ECE 2018 file I saw for my VIN was neither of those 2 sizes.

The ECE2018 file I downloaded for my MIB1 Amundsen was 6GB  - that has both Western & Eastern Europe.

18 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

The ECE2018 file I downloaded for my MIB1 Amundsen was 6GB  - that has both Western & Eastern Europe.

Thanks - that sounds like the file size for mine. (I looked at the file before Christmas and didn't download due to disk space issues but that sounds familiar.)

Mine was smaller than the version before though, which I assume means they've deleted stuff. (There was a message to that effect on the website too.) 

Have you noticed any less detail than before?

8 minutes ago, DavidY said:

Have you noticed any less detail than before?

I've only driven around Devon, Dorset and Wiltshire since updating the maps but haven't noticed any loss of detail or information.

Edited by SWBoy
  • Thanks 1