Amundsen Satnav update

For Amundsen 8" MIB2 

The Last Map Update (for Skoda Kodiaq) concerning  Western Europe, is this file named  

"STD2_915_EU1_2018.zip"    (13 Go)

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/STD2_915_EU1_2018.zip

Extracted Directories :

maps

\00

\EEC

0915_MP171-1284.xEUR1.md5sum.text

All Western Europe 's maps are updated at  :  (19th of September 2017).

Next in May / June 2018... (twice a year).

Edited by athon34

14 hours ago, Buswell said:

Thanks, the file I downloaded is STD1_p72_EU_2018.

Will this work on a car whose route is mainly in the UK. I'm yet to extract it to the SD card as am waiting for a new card to be delivered from Skoda.

That's exactly the same file I use on my MIB1 Amundsen and is OK for UK routes IMHO.

Blimey, this update malarkey is far harder than it should be. Having come from a Garmin, plug it in to the updater and it does it in minutes, this is far harder than it should be. Hey ho, no point going over old ground.

I have updated, I think succesfully, but the previous personal POI's that I had uploaded have disappeared. Is that meant to happen? If not, what did I do wrong? I presume I simply have to load them again, I'll need to dig that file out now......

Genuine question. Why do VAG etc not simply go to a Garmin or TomTom and work with them? Their systems work so easily it would give a much better system than the one installed.

I did a map update with my FL Octavia mk3 the other day. I simply downloaded the new file and used the download tool to extract it to the hard drive. I then backed up the original version to my PC and deleted the maps folder from the card. After a quick copy and paste of the new maps folder to the SD card I was all done. No need to reformat the SD card as it was a 16Gb card with 1.5GB of space free. Simples!

The download tool didn't work for me, my Anti Virus kept blocking it no matter how nicely I asked it not to. I had to download the 7-zip thingy and do it that way.

Must be nigh on impossible for people who are not computer literate. I know a lot of elderly relatives who would simply not bother. There really should be a more user friendly method.

Edited by LordTyrion

Lordtyrion,

That's why I still use my TomTom Go app on my Android. Now if only we had a free Android Auto on the Amundsen.. What I find annoying is that if I connect my mobile phone to the Amundsen via BT, the TomTom cuts off, but her audio does switch over via BT (although phone audio does).

• Thanks 1

For anyone new to this, in case they find the same as me, I found my POI again. After the update you have to go back in to the system, on the car, not via computer or anything complicated, and tick the POI you want visible. Scroll through, tick the boxes and they reappear.

On 08/01/2018 at 11:49, Hardgrafter said:

Check whether OP ordered a 16GB SD card. An 8 MB would no good of course.

The OP (like me) has to use the original, Skoda-supplied SD card , which if it's like mine will be 8GB.

A 16GB SD card from anywhere other than Skoda would be no good, of course. ;)

After fun and games with the 2017 updates it is a repeat with the 17/18. The imac downloads and extracts without problems and I can copy to the ms dos FAT formated card but always, always get a read error on inserting into the car - not valid nav data. Finder does not show any e.g. .spotlight files but downloaded cleanmydrive to make sure and also tried removing sd card manually rather than use the eject button. Still same error. Hours wasted so far arghhhh.

I am copying the MAPS folder plus the small .txt file from the STD2-915-eu1-2018 folder rather than the whole folder. I have mb2 amundsen and the genuine skoda 16mb card. I don't have access to windows but others here have used a mac without issues.

Suggestions please.

On 6/19/2016 at 19:41, OscarTheGrouch said:

Just a word about doing this upgrade with a Mac onto the sd-card from an Amundsen stereo. You have to copy the new maps to the skoda supplied sd-card,  this is because the Amundsen has been paired to the physical identity of that card, so as a lay user we can't get around that pairing.

Just download the zip from skoda, it is massive (about 15GB) and failed several times for me so it had to be un-paused each time, but eventually it does download. Once you have it flip the write tab on the sd-card and put it in your Mac. Now that it can write to it, your Mac will be unhelpfully adding hidden folders that it uses to drive the file manager and the trash can, you can deal with these at the end of the copying process.

So now the sd-card will appear as a drive (called NO NAME) on the right hand side of your desktop. Open it up and copy the only folder in it maps to, say, your Documents folder. Do this so you can get back to what you had originally if anything goes wrong. Move the maps folder on the sd-card into the Trash Can.

Now the card appears to be empty. Open up the downloaded zip file (using Finder) that will probably be in your Downloads folder. It will will contain a maps folder and signature key file. Copy just the maps folder from here onto the sd-card.

After it has been transferred (takes ages) you can tidy the sd-card up. Being a Mac there isn't a straight forward way of doing this. The quickest way is with the Terminal, which you can open from Spotlight and run the following.

cd /Volumes/NO\ NAME/

rm -Rf .fseventsd/ ._.Trashes .Trashes/ .Spotlight-V100/ ._maps

exit

Then whip the sd-card out without ejecting it and return the write protect tab to read only. Test out the new maps on your Amundsen, if everything is ok you can remove the download and empty the Trash Can on you Mac.

I wouldn't recommend anyone reformats there sd-card, especially on a Mac, to perform this map upgrade, it is an unnecassary risk. Also if you don't know what Finder or Spotlight is I wouldn't attempt this without a pictorial guide. 

Can I just add that if you copy the new files over the old (without delete and definitely without re-format) there is also the chance on a MAC of getting other hidden files lying around on the media, which leads to the Nav working, but blank squares for road names and places. What's needed (from another forum) is the following:

find /Volumes/<your-volume-name> -name '._*' -type f -delete

With the WARNING that you should run without the "-delete" first just to check you truly are pointed as the SSD card and not your main hard-drive!!

Doing this creates new hidden files in the root of the media, so you need to re-run the original command above (rm -Rf ...) to remove those before whipping the sd-card out.

On 1/13/2018 at 12:12, kernowalan said:

After fun and games with the 2017 updates it is a repeat with the 17/18. The imac downloads and extracts without problems and I can copy to the ms dos FAT formated card but always, always get a read error on inserting into the car - not valid nav data. Finder does not show any e.g. .spotlight files but downloaded cleanmydrive to make sure and also tried removing sd card manually rather than use the eject button. Still same error. Hours wasted so far arghhhh.

I am copying the MAPS folder plus the small .txt file from the STD2-915-eu1-2018 folder rather than the whole folder. I have mb2 amundsen and the genuine skoda 16mb card. I don't have access to windows but others here have used a mac without issues.

Suggestions please.

Can only suggest copying all the files across, since if it's a genuine card that has worked before then it should at least get to the validating stage. I can only assume the Amunsen is looking for a file that you don't have on the disk and existing with the error, even then I'd have thought you might see the validating icon before the 'not valid nav data' since that is definitely the error I get when I put the wrong media into the unit....is it really the SD-card you think it is!?

• 2 weeks later...

Following this thread, I noted the comments about changes in file size, in particular those saying that the current files are smaller.

Mine is an MIB1 and comparing the files for the UK for the current downloads to those of the previous version shows the geocoding as having been deleted. I presume this is a “bodge” to fit the files onto the smaller SD cards and save having to supply new ones on warranty.

I rarely use the SKODA satnav, as I’ve never liked it and don’t take my car overseas, so I would have preferred they kept the geocodes and included a UK only version as an option. I don’t have fibre broadband, so spending 8 hours downloading 6GB of something I’m not going to use, is a waste of time.

STD1_P67_EU_2017_18

28/11/2016  09:44 "7,705,163"       GreatBritainSouth_AdvancedRouting.psf                

28/11/2016  09:46 "101,942,997"     GreatBritainSouth_Basic.psf                    

28/11/2016  09:52 "5,850,932"       GreatBritainSouth_ExtZips.psf                  

28/11/2016  09:54 "34,871,054"      GreatBritainSouth_GeocodingPOIIndices.psf            

28/11/2016  09:56 "22,353,528"      GreatBritainSouth_GlobalPOIIndices.psf               

28/11/2016  09:44 "8,025,241"       IrelandGreatBritainNorth_AdvancedRouting.psf         

28/11/2016  09:46 "124,080,459"     IrelandGreatBritainNorth_Basic.psf                   

28/11/2016  09:52 "4,077,214"       IrelandGreatBritainNorth_ExtZips.psf                 

28/11/2016  09:54 "34,081,425"      IrelandGreatBritainNorth_GeocodingPOIIndices.psf     

28/11/2016  09:56 "17,899,697"      IrelandGreatBritainNorth_GlobalPOIIndices.psf        

STD1_P72_EU_2018

21/06/2017  04:58 "7,786,658"       GreatBritainSouth_AdvancedRouting.psf          

21/06/2017  04:59 "104,228,742"     GreatBritainSouth_Basic.psf        

21/06/2017  05:03 "5,862,232"       GreatBritainSouth_ExtZips.psf      

21/06/2017  05:05 "22,489,366"      GreatBritainSouth_GlobalPOIIndices.psf         

21/06/2017  04:58 "8,168,134"       IrelandGreatBritainNorth_AdvancedRouting.psf         

21/06/2017  04:59 "126,485,940"     IrelandGreatBritainNorth_Basic.psf       

21/06/2017  05:03 "4,081,710"       IrelandGreatBritainNorth_ExtZips.psf           

21/06/2017  05:05 "18,366,309"      IrelandGreatBritainNorth_GlobalPOIIndices.psf

Hi newbie here.

i am collecting my 66 plate Skoda Octavia2.0 TDI CR SE L 5dr DSG tomorrow but was disappointed to learn that the Sat Nav SD card was missing. To be fair the garage did not advertise that the car came with Sat Nav.

i believe that buying a new card from Skoda is expensive though I may be forced to go down that route. I see Ebay sellers are offering genuine sd cards too - has anyone had good/bad experiences buying these? 

I would prefer to use the integrated sat nav rather than buy a Tom Tom or Garmin but I hope the prices will not force me down this route 

any no comments or suggestions would be welcome 

thanks 

Just now, Moribund said:

i believe that buying a new card from Skoda is expensive though I may be forced to go down that route. I see Ebay sellers are offering genuine sd cards too - has anyone had good/bad experiences buying these?

I have a MIB1 Amundsen that I bought used from a Skoda dealer, that also came without an SD card.

I've bought 2 SD cards off eBay and both work fine - just make sure the card you get is compatible with your MIB2 Amundsen (as it's a 66 plate it will be a MIB2).

3 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

I have a MIB1 Amundsen that I bought used from a Skoda dealer, that also came without an SD card.

I've bought 2 SD cards off eBay and both work fine - just make sure the card you get is compatible with your MIB2 Amundsen (as it's a 66 plate it will be a MIB2).

Thanks for the quick response. Why 2 cards ?  Do you need 2 card for the sat nav to work? 

Also Will my unit definitely be an Amundsen ?

1 hour ago, Moribund said:

Why 2 cards ?  Do you need 2 card for the sat nav to work? 

Also Will my unit definitely be an Amundsen ?

You only need 1 card for the sat nav to work, but I like to have a backup so I have 1 card with the latest maps on and the other as a backup with the previous version of the maps.

If you need an SD card permanently inserted for the sat nav to work then that means you have an Amundsen as the Columbus copies the maps onto internal storage.

1 hour ago, SWBoy said:

You only need 1 card for the sat nav to work, but I like to have a backup so I have 1 card with the latest maps on and the other as a backup with the previous version of the maps.

If you need an SD card permanently inserted for the sat nav to work then that means you have an Amundsen as the Columbus copies the maps onto internal storage.

Thanks a lot for the advice. Might contact these with my VIN number once I have the car...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SKODA-AMUNDSEN-2nd-MIB-SAT-NAV-SD-CARD-UK-Western-EUROPE-2017-5L0051236T/132476960709?epid=14007139370&hash=item1ed83dffc5:g:ykoAAOSw~T9aYytw

Does anyone have a suggestion on the following.

MIB1 Amundsen, Got my VIN number, updated the Skoda SD Card via skoda website downloader. Was working fine for 1 trip and now No Gps and the map is not showing my accurate location, about 100 Miles off. I still can see the map.

Have done a soft reset, to no answers.

Should i unplug the fuse to the system? 

I reverted back to the old Maps version, and results are identical between new and old map versions.

Cheers

Edited by StemcellRob
Spec of system

6 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

Your gps antenna is faulty most likely. Nothing to do with the maps version, just an unfortunate coincidence that it's happened about the same time.

If my antenna is faulty, do I just replace the shark fin? Or do I need a lot more than just that?

7 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

Your gps antenna is faulty most likely. Nothing to do with the maps version, just an unfortunate coincidence that it's happened about the same time.

I know this might be going down, off topic and quite personal.

However, Since update, my GPS is down but i'm still getting the map. After multiple soft resets, the GPS nav is always going to the same location (not my location). I haven't moved the car to see if the GPS changes. I will check to see if the Co-ordinates change. Also, the Clock is Sync'ed with GPS and that is correct.

Read another post stating that even plugging in something into the Cig Lighter can cause issues, with signal related issues. The fin is for Telephone and GPS.

The system uses stored data to show your position on the map, and also uses data from the wheel speed sensors and steering angle sensor to calculate an assisted gps position (like travelling through a tunnel with no gps signal available). It doesn't just lose you completely, and even if it did then it would have to show you as somewhere, on the old Columbus systems this used to be the factory position in Germany.

• Like 1