Amundsen Satnav update

So, sats are 0/0.

soft resets don't work, fuse reset doesn't work. Just read that if I remove any part of the Inform system, anti theft will kick in.

Could be a fault with Fin? Firmware? Who knows, guess I'll find out the price on Thursday!

Anti theft (or Component Protection) shouldn't be an issue as the unit is coded to your vehicle. It would be relevant if it was installed in someone elses vehicle as it would register as being in the wrong vehicle and lock up straight away. Removing the sharkfin antenna wouldn't cause CP to activate, and even if it did then it should recode when you turn the ignition back on (CP is not present in either the screen or the antennas, only the main unit).

On 1/28/2018 at 22:49, Moribund said:

Hi newbie here.

i am collecting my 66 plate Skoda Octavia2.0 TDI CR SE L 5dr DSG tomorrow but was disappointed to learn that the Sat Nav SD card was missing. To be fair the garage did not advertise that the car came with Sat Nav.

i believe that buying a new card from Skoda is expensive though I may be forced to go down that route. I see Ebay sellers are offering genuine sd cards too - has anyone had good/bad experiences buying these? 

I would prefer to use the integrated sat nav rather than buy a Tom Tom or Garmin but I hope the prices will not force me down this route 

any no comments or suggestions would be welcome 

thanks 

I don't see the problem.  If it has sat nav it has to be working, just like anything else on the car.The dealer has to fix it under warranty. In this case it just needs a genuine Skoda card.

15 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

I distinctly remember last time I disconnected the screen on my Columbus system, I recall going to the dealers to have it re paired with the main unit. :dry:

Or did I?...

But this thread is for Amundsen

You mean they're different Component Protection standards? I think not. In fact I have a couple of Amundsen units in the shed and I can swap the screens over, connect up a gps antenna etc. and no Component Protection gets triggered.

Also, look in the VCDS settings for the infotainment system and you'll find a trigger setting to check component protection. Activate it and it locks the unit as if it'd been stolen. Cycle the ignition and it registers as recognised in the correct vehicle, and unlocks itself again.

To update my Admundsen maps, I have updated using a Mac and whilst the nav data seems to be working ok I am getting the issue of blank squares and no road names etc

I have tried OscartheGrouchs method of removing hidden files with no success.

When I did the update I saved the contents of the card, reformatted the card and then installed the entire set of folders which appeared under the new data main folder STD1_P72_EU_2018    ie markets/eu/map/mapregions and styles etc etc. I also transferred across the txt file.

Can anyone tell me in simple terms what else I can try doing to restore the place names and road numbers?

SATMAN has suggested using Terminal and running a different hidden file deletion process as below but I have not tried this yet as it isn't clear to me what to input into your-volume -name and I dont want to delete my entire hard drive by mistake!

find /Volumes/<your-volume-name> -name '._*' -type f -delete

Can anyone give me any more advice or should I try doing the whole process again on a PC?

It probably is the hidden files causing the problem - from a terminal window run the following:

$ cd /Volumes

$ ls

$ cd /Volumes/<your-volume-name>

$ ls -aux

At least then you can do as much as possible to make sure you are looking at the right volume and can look for any hidden files that you may not be seeing in 'Finder'

It may well be good to get a MAC-savy friend to double-ensure you don't delete the entire hard drive......it wouldn't make for a good day! ;-)

One other item - it's important if you get to deleting the hidden files that you pull the SD card out afterwards rather than ejecting from 'Finder', since the eject will only write back the files you've just deleted. It's worth a double check afterwards with the write-protect switched on the SD card to make sure there are no other hidden files that have slipped back on! ;-)

Done some more work on it and found another way to show hidden files, just use cmd + shift + .  together which then enables all hidden files to be seen in Finder. Doing it again reverses this facility which came with Sierra.

So I did that and deleted them all on the SD Card, then took it out without ejecting it but no improvement so I am stumped.

I am tempted to go back to the old version and see if that works still, or give a PC a go at installing it.

Just to say, My update worked fine in the end. Maps 2018 working fine, and my Octavia see's satellites!

I would suggest, seeing if anyone has a Windows Computer to extract the files. To be honest, i used the inbuilt extract on Windows 10.

I did re-format the card again using the Windows 10 explorer software.

Moving onto a Non-Skoda SD Card doesn't work, unless you can transfer those Hidden/encrypted files. 

39 minutes ago, StemcellRob said:

Moving onto a Non-Skoda SD Card doesn't work, unless you can transfer those Hidden/encrypted files. 

THey're not hidden or encrypted - they're stored in an area of the card that is only accessible using special (read expensive) software.

• Like 1

So since a visit to the skoda garage this morning, using maps to get there!  now I'm back to no satellites again. Hmm? Intermittent fault? Found that skoda garages don't share prices or details of service works, still £50 inc VAT per hour. Only Slightly cheaper than a plumber! Who else could I get to look at this? ICE installers?

Thanks to Thrifty, Sat man et al.

I’ve given up. Used windows(on my mac), mac. Downloaded multiple times using both. Made use of the tips for removing hidden files, reformatted on windows and mac to FAT. Nothing works, always a message about no valid navigation data.

SD card now with my local dealer. Fingers crossed. Will let you know.

I have tried everything and I can get the new maps to show ok but with no road numbers or place names, just markers/rectangles where they should have been. It navigates fine.

The only way I managed to get it to read ok was to download all the folders and files contained under the top level folder (STD1_P72_EU_2018), ie the markets sub folder plus the text file. I didn't remove any hidden files as when it did that it didn't seem to make any difference.

Next step is to try using a PC rather than a mac. And then try the local garage!

• Like 1

I did get to exactly the same position, when I wrote the following post. I was also pulling my hair out until I tried the commands below.

Can I just add that if you copy the new files over the old (without delete and definitely without re-format) there is also the chance on a MAC of getting other hidden files lying around on the media, which leads to the Nav working, but blank squares for road names and places. What's needed (from another forum) is the following:

find /Volumes/<your-volume-name> -name '._*' -type f -delete

With the WARNING that you should run without the "-delete" first just to check you truly are pointed as the SSD card and not your main hard-drive!!

Doing this creates new hidden files in the root of the media, so you need to re-run the original command above (rm -Rf ...) to remove those before whipping the sd-card out.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been staying for weekend with someone who has a pc and a fast broadband so updated my satnav which had only partially worked on a Mac update. 

All went easily and the missing place and road names have now reappeared. I won’t try using the Mac ever again for this update as it clearly only works if you are prepared to do some hidden file manipulation. 

• Like 1

On 18/01/2018 at 21:48, SATMan said:

Can only suggest copying all the files across, since if it's a genuine card that has worked before then it should at least get to the validating stage. I can only assume the Amunsen is looking for a file that you don't have on the disk and existing with the error, even then I'd have thought you might see the validating icon before the 'not valid nav data' since that is definitely the error I get when I put the wrong media into the unit....is it really the SD-card you think it is!?

On 03/02/2018 at 21:38, kernowalan said:

Thanks to Thrifty, Sat man et al.

I’ve given up. Used windows(on my mac), mac. Downloaded multiple times using both. Made use of the tips for removing hidden files, reformatted on windows and mac to FAT. Nothing works, always a message about no valid navigation data.

SD card now with my local dealer. Fingers crossed. Will let you know.

SD card back from dealer and it was unable to even read it. Initially I also had problems with intermittent reading until I rebooted with the card in the reader. No idea why this tip worked but it did. Borrowed a windows laptop, formatted with 4k clusters, downloaded the updates and still get the error message about invalid data. I now wonder if the card security features are the problem? Anyway dealer says it will replace the SD card under warranty although it has never known one to fail.

Will I update when the next is released? I’ll probably visit the dentist instead.

53 minutes ago, kernowalan said:

SD card back from dealer and it was unable to even read it. Initially I also had problems with intermittent reading until I rebooted with the card in the reader. No idea why this tip worked but it did. Borrowed a windows laptop, formatted with 4k clusters, downloaded the updates and still get the error message about invalid data. I now wonder if the card security features are the problem? Anyway dealer says it will replace the SD card under warranty although it has never known one to fail.

Will I update when the next is released? I’ll probably visit the dentist instead.

May i ask, as the dealer did it under warranty. Is you're vehicle under 3 years old? 

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I have 2014 Skoda Octavia and want to update my navigation map.

I already downloaded the new map from the website, but when I inserted the sd card into my laptop and tried to format or erase the sd card it doesn't allow me because there is re-write protection, I have permission only to read it.

How can I fix that, please help?

Thanks

20 minutes ago, Kachaka said:

Guys, I have 2014 Skoda Octavia and want to update my navigation map.

I already downloaded the new map from the website, but when I inserted the sd card into my laptop and tried to format or erase the sd card it doesn't allow me because there is re-write protection, I have permission only to read it.

How can I fix that, please help?

Thanks

Have you moved the slide switch on the side of the SD card?