Amundsen Satnav update

I do not bother to update the map as I use googlemap by my android phone. I realise this built in map is annoyinglly sluggish.

3 hours ago, SWBoy said:

I posted this problem and this exact fix in this Forum  a few weeks ago... and got comments that clearly didn't understand that FAT32 offers options of the cluster size to be used. Oh well!!!

Thanks for the tip. My copy failed and I reformatted with a lower block size and all was fine. I probably formatted the card sometime in the past and let the blocksize default, so I wouldn't be in a rush to blame Skoda myself.

54 minutes ago, billat29 said:

Thanks for the tip. My copy failed and I reformatted with a lower block size and all was fine. I probably formatted the card sometime in the past and let the blocksize default, so I wouldn't be in a rush to blame Skoda myself.

I've never formatted the card before, so it was on 32k cluster size from the factory.

I downloaded the ECE 2017/2018 installer and after an hour or two of my life which I will never get back I was ready to unpack.

I unlocked the SD card put it in the computer and deleted it's contents. When the installer was ready I told it where to unpack to and it says the card has insufficient space and shall it clear the card? I said yes.

I noticed that quite a lot of the time Windows 10 tells you that the unpacker is not responding but if you peer at the small text you can see it is changing occasionally so I let it get on with it.

A couple of hours later  I had my Sat/Nav up and running again. Skoda's servers are so unbelievably slow.

Did I notice a new option on the route option menu "Congestion  ahead" was that there before?

Edited by YMe
At 66 I'm still crap at English like wot she is writ.

As a tip when I first got my car I tried and failed a number of times to update the satnav.

Download would go fine, put the card into the car and it would not recognise the files; I eventually found out what I was doing wrong.

When you download the zip file; when you unzip the file, make sure that you are unzipping directly to the SD Card.  I was unzipping the files onto my desktop and cutting/pasting the files across and the car did not like it one bit.

Unzipped direct to the SD card and no issues; all installed without a problem.

The download from the portal does work well but unbelievably slowly Best to set it up and read a book - something like "War and Peace" for example.

• Like 1

On 27/06/2017 at 06:24, aki78 said:

Don't worry, you can't destroy the secret data on the card by formatting.

I had the same problem so I re-formatted it with 4k cluster size (original was 32k).

After this all data fits on the card.

So stupid that Skoda haven't tested if the data fits on the card with the original format...

On 27/06/2017 at 08:25, SWBoy said:

I posted this problem and this exact fix in this Forum  a few weeks ago... and got comments that clearly didn't understand that FAT32 offers options of the cluster size to be used. Oh well!!!

Tried re-formatting the card last night with 4k clusters and it seems to have worked. All files fit and car seems to accept the card.

Thanks for your help! :)

1 hour ago, AdamJMK said:

Did my update last night, apart it being incredibly time consuming it went well without any problems.

So were you able to update an Amundsen on an original SD card without reformatting it? Is yours 8GB?

If so I wonder why some work and some don't?

7 hours ago, DavidY said:

So were you able to update an Amundsen on an original SD card without reformatting it? Is yours 8GB?

If so I wonder why some work and some don't?

I did this without any formatting/re-formatting. 

Copied the old maps off SD card to desktop, deleted old maps from SD, unzipped new downloaded maps with 7-zip to SD card, re-locked it and job done.

3 minutes ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

I did this without any formatting/re-formatting. 

Copied the old maps off SD card to desktop, deleted old maps from SD, unzipped new downloaded maps with 7-zip to SD card, re-locked it and job done.

Thanks for that.

That's more or less what I did - although I had an earlier attempt with the downloader utility as well. Also I manually copied the files from the compressed folder (rather than 7zip, but I don't think it matters) to the SD card, as I'd done with the previous update.

Both times it ran out of space, and it was clear there really wasn't enough space to hold the few files it rejected.

Last night I formatted to 4K clusters as suggested on here and copied the files from the compressed folder with no problem.

I wonder what's different - perhaps some of the Skoda SD cards are different to others...?

I had the struggle to put the new map on the SD card, provided by Skoda. I did format the SD card with 4k cluster and all the map went straight on it.

I installed in my car and it is working.

Don't format the card merely delete the contents. you don't need 7zip, let the downloader do all the work. sometimes Windows will tell you that the downloader isn't responding - ignore that - it is. Let it alone for a couple of hours and it should work.

18 hours ago, DavidY said:

I wonder what's different - perhaps some of the Skoda SD cards are different to others...?

I wonder if the newer original Skoda map SD cards are a larger size? 8GB vs. 4GB?

Be interesting to know what the original Skoda part number is printed on the SD cards that need to be reformatted to 4K cluster size... and on those that don't need to be reformatted...

10 hours ago, YMe said:

Don't format the card merely delete the contents. you don't need 7zip, let the downloader do all the work. sometimes Windows will tell you that the downloader isn't responding - ignore that - it is. Let it alone for a couple of hours and it should work.

No that doesn't work for my SD card. There just wasn't space until I reformatted it.  Not by much, but there isn't enough space. The downloader reported errors saying out of disk space, as did just copying the file across.

8 hours ago, SWBoy said:

I wonder if the newer original Skoda map SD cards are a larger size? 8GB vs. 4GB?

Be interesting to know what the original Skoda part number is printed on the SD cards that need to be reformatted to 4K cluster size... and on those that don't need to be reformatted...

Which bit is the part number? Is that the 9-character (3x 3 characters) in bold?

2 hours ago, mabnz said:

This is what I see. Anyone else seeing this?

59556895cfc3a_screenshot2017-06-30at8_52_01AM.thumb.png.2fa9e65607ed8ef3188a9c626e1cfbc7.png

I still get ECE 2017/2018, and '6.00GB' instead of 'Unknown'.

But maybe the 'MRM' reflects your location?  And therefore different file size.

I have generally noted that the website is flaky and coming back another day and retrying has worked for me before.

On 30/06/2017 at 00:26, DavidY said:

Which bit is the part number? Is that the 9-character (3x 3 characters) in bold?

The bit that starts 5E0 051 236 and is followed by a letter - the letter indicates the version.

31 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

The bit that starts 5E0 051 236 and is followed by a letter - the letter indicates the version.

Thanks for that.

Mine is 5E0 919 866
There's no letter following it though, just a (6 digit) number underneath