Ex Lease Car

Octy0GG

I know condition is all and nothing to beat a thorough inspection and test drive on secondhand car but what's your thoughts on Ex-lease cars.

This one is 5 yrs old but very low miles -  less than 4000 per year, being sold by francised dealer.

Part of me says this should be an assurance of correct maintainence.

Part of me is concerned that it has been driven by someone who does not own it and I am reminded of my own approach to company cars and rented cars when I was younger.

Then again presume most leases have penalties for returned cars being anything less than immaculate.

So I'm finished arguing with myself. - What is your take on this?

Thanks

Buy on condition. How does it look - what condition is the bodywork and interior in? How do the seats look - any wear or damage?

These tend to give you the best indication. Also check the servicing records - has maintenance been done on time, and at the correct mileage?

Agree buy on condition - ownership of a car does not always guarantee careful use. Also bear in mind if you don't take care of a lease car it will financially hurt the lessee when they come to return it at the end of the hire period

Yes absolutely no question  - condition condition condition 

but 

For me going to see a car is probably going to involve a 240 to 440 mile round trip so I can't go and look at lots of cars.

Taxboy confirming my thoughts though that the lessee does still have an incentive to look after the car. 

After having my fingers burnt I won't ever buy a car that covers very low annual mileage.

Cars hate being stood and / or taken on irregular short journey's.

My Lexus CT is 5 years old and an lease car. It did have 62K miles when I got it. It's been serviced by Lexus right up to this mileage and no warranty work/claims. It's as good as new condition and all the leather inside is in perfect condition. I checked out the previous owner/driver of this car. It was a lady who worked for a company that sold medical supplies to hospitals.

I'm really pleased with the car and it is faultless. Obviously do all the research first before you buy. I travelled 40 miles to buy this from a dealer in Fareham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes absolutely no question  - condition condition condition 

but 

For me going to see a car is probably going to involve a 240 to 440 mile round trip so I can't go and look at lots of cars.

Taxboy confirming my thoughts though that the lessee does still have an incentive to look after the car. 

Where is the car? Put up some details - you may find a helpful member may go and cast their eye over it for you.

4000 miles a year.. that's low for a company car.

If it really was a company car, I'd think it spent it's life doing stop starting around town going on short journey and never really warming up.

Now that's just a guess, but the wear on those journeys is going to be much higher than say a higher mileage mostly carried out on the motorways.

• Like 1

Where is the car? Put up some details - you may find a helpful member may go and cast their eye over it for you.

Might do that. But won't put anyone out right now as my mind is now going in different direction.

Also might get linched - it's a (whisper) F**d

4000 miles a year.. that's low for a company car.

If it really was a company car, I'd think it spent it's life doing stop starting around town going on short journey and never really warming up.

Now that's just a guess, but the wear on those journeys is going to be much higher than say a higher mileage mostly carried out on the motorways.

Not always - I know of quite a few company car drivers that do pretty low miles. Maybe not that low, but they just like not having to worry about anything to do with the car!

But these days, a lease could just as easily be a private one.

The point still stands though, no matter who the owner was - low miles tends to mean urban-only with more wear as you mention :thumbup:

• Like 1

It could be a car given to "the boss's wife" as part of his package.

When checking condition.... I always checked the load area when I was buying in a used car for wear.... You can often see how the car has been looked after by looking in the boot!.... People will polish thee metal, but forget the boot.

ALSO look to see if the steering wheel has areas at 10 to and 10 past which are worn flat. This can show a high mileage vehicle.

I know private buyers who I wouldn't want their cars at any price and people with lease cars that are out polishing them every weekend.

Buy on condition, not on how they were funded.

Lee

• Like 2

I bought a ex lease volvo about 10 years ago,

From what i could gather it had been a owned by somebody that worked at a steel works,

Just over 3 years old with 66k on clock,

I had it 4 years and ran it to 136k and never had any bother with it until i blew engine up but that was more my own doing that the car failing

Mobility cars are bought outright by Motability Finance then leased to the individual that will have the car for 3 years.

They are not necessarily the driver. It could be the family vehicle or driven by carers, a motability vehicle might have various drivers over 3 years.

It goes to auction at 3 years old (BCA) unless the person leasing from Motability arranges keeping it longer, sometimes happens with lower mileage vehicles or ones with adaptations, or sometimes the disabled person or the family buys the car.

Any Ex Mobility car needs inspected just as any other used car, Fleet / Lease or Private owned in the past.

Buyer Beware and check out servicing, warranty history and all recall works.

Buying from franchised dealerships is not a plus if you think of Skoda Approved Used Cars where there will have been Workshop Safety Checks, or there should have been.

Maybe no Service done because one was not due.  A major service might be due soon so needs costed into the purchase.

Tyres might be of a mixed brand.

Low mileage cars 5 years old can have a windscreen with lots of tiny chips or scratches as much as a high mileage car so check that closely.

?

In this case what type of 5 year old car are you considering?

In this case what type of 5 year old car are you considering?

Ford FOCUS  1.6 SCTI (150ps) EcoBoost Titanium

But think I am probably cured of the idea.

Had Octavia 2 1.9 PD for 4 years reliable service, nothing but problems for last 6 months. Fed up with car, fed up with Skoda - any mention about bullet proof nature of 1.9 PD will not get good reaction. However realistically the problems probably have a lot more to do with a garage than the car, so kind of back to thinking Octavia 3

Thanks

That's a shame about the Octavia. I lost all faith with Skoda when I bought my Rapid Sport new. That was a nightmare and I hated it. That's when I decided to get something different. Stick with Skoda because a MK3 is a good move. A garage I used ruined my MK1 Octy and I had the same feeling as you about the car. I got a MK2 tdi I had for 7 years and was faultless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at various nearly new cars on manufacturers used car listings and I always try and blow up the images. Even on 6 month old cars it is surprising how bashed and scuffed some interior trim looks! No thanks

I've had ex courtesy cars a few times and not had any bother. They were all within the warranty period though.

Not everyone treats lease / courtesy cars like ****.

• Like 2

The vast majority of all approved used cars on a main dealers forecourt will be ex lease.

Whether that be PCH, PCP, hire cars or company cars. Very few people buy a car outright then sell it after a few years.

As has already been mentioned, buy on condition and service history, not how the car was paid for.

What silver1011 says. My last four cars have all been hire/company/whatever. All around a year old with between 10k and 17 on the clock. Bought from main dealers, so full backup.