Jacking up the Yeti

Clive

3 hours ago, Dale_Stevens said:

Well I can't look as I don't get my Yeti until 30th October, which makes looking a bit difficult for me at the moment.

Well, if you don’t have your Yeti what does it matter? You will soon find out where the jacking points are when you get it and LOOK!!

6 minutes ago, Expatman said:

Well, if you don’t have your Yeti what does it matter? You will soon find out where the jacking points are when you get it and LOOK!!

So am I not allowed to ask questions until I get my Yeti?

I only know about the triangles and their location from reading this and other threads, if I hadn't joined this forum I might not have known and could have misplaced the jack by assuming the built up crease is the correct position. 

If the subject annoys you that much why read the thread?

Edited by Dale_Stevens

25 minutes ago, Dale_Stevens said:

So am I not allowed to ask questions until I get my Yeti?

I only know about the triangles and their location from reading this and other threads, if I hadn't joined this forum I might not have known and could have misplaced the jack by assuming the built up crease is the correct position. 

If the subject annoys you that much why read the thread?

Because nothing on TV !!

Just taken a look at the puck for jacking  (There is a specific polyurethane "puck" made by Powerflex: VAG JACK PAD PF3-1661 https://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-details/VAG+Jack+Pad+Adpator/13324.html  which is exactly the right profile if you want to try and protect the seamsealer) and the Yeti isn't listed (or I'm going more senile than I thought). 

Regarding the jacking points, I would agree those little raised triangles can be a devil to see even on a dry day in daylight. For something so important you would expect them to be very obvious. From memory on my Volvo there were similar marking but on the edges facing outwards so you could see them when you crouched down to fit the jack, which seems to make sense. In this case  "Skoda - Simply (Not) Clever.

4 minutes ago, Paul52 said:

Just taken a look at the puck for jacking  (There is a specific polyurethane "puck" made by Powerflex: VAG JACK PAD PF3-1661 https://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-details/VAG+Jack+Pad+Adpator/13324.html  which is exactly the right profile if you want to try and protect the seamsealer) and the Yeti isn't listed 

You are correct, it's not listed.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Expatman said:

Dear G**, how hard is it to find the jacking points! Just use your eyes and look!

I really despair of peoples inability to cope with simple tasks.

*****ng hard, I have just been out in daylight & wearing close reading glasses which I would not normally need for a wheelchange even at night, if mine has markings then you would need to be psychic to see or even feel them, I washed off all the road dirt and there is nothing to be seen or even felt and I have a highly developed sense of feel being partially sighted.

If mine is typical of the facelift Yeti then there are no markings, feeling behind the sill flange there is only one place at the front with a cut out in the plastic floorpan protection that would allow the standard jack to beused without shattering it, its also the only place where there is a raised stiffened section of the structure to put the weight on the jack in the correct manner without crushing the sill flange.

At the rear there is about 7" before the plastic undershield would get in the way but no obvious raised metal support, needless to say this was all done by feel as you could not get your head underneath before jacking up the vehicle.

l

16 hours ago, J.R. said:

*****ng hard, I have just been out in daylight & wearing close reading glasses which I would not normally need for a wheelchange even at night, if mine has markings then you would need to be psychic to see or even feel them, I washed off all the road dirt and there is nothing to be seen or even felt and I have a highly developed sense of feel being partially sighted.

If mine is typical of the facelift Yeti then there are no markings, feeling behind the sill flange there is only one place at the front with a cut out in the plastic floorpan protection that would allow the standard jack to beused without shattering it, its also the only place where there is a raised stiffened section of the structure to put the weight on the jack in the correct manner without crushing the sill flange.

At the rear there is about 7" before the plastic undershield would get in the way but no obvious raised metal support, needless to say this was all done by feel as you could not get your head underneath before jacking up the vehicle.

l

Yes, there is no luminous arrow pointing out the jacking points.

There has been a picture of at least the rear jacking point indication triangle in this thread of posts. I may be old and dim, but making a whole range of mountains out of a mole hill  suggests to me that there are wildly different levels of mechanical aptitude/ sympathy around.

If you want to jack the car just to change a wheel, it probably doesn't matter where you place the jack on the sill. More considerate owners would appreciate where Skoda made their roadside jack fit, to properly spread the load - each to their own.

Of course, Skoda did not made this the most easy of jobs, bear in mind that this platform was used by many other VAG family members with no apparent problems.

I don't jack on the sills, using the front subframe and the flat part behind the sill at the rear where I think the TT bits can be fitted. Good luck in your quest in spotting the elusive triangles :yawn:

15 minutes ago, Yety said:

There has been a picture of at least the rear jacking point indication triangle in this thread of posts. I may be old and dim, but making a whole range of mountains out of a mole hill  suggests to me that there are wildly different levels of mechanical aptitude/ sympathy around.

I think the typical car owner is one who doesn't put any thought to things like 'what would I do if I got a flat tyre' doesn't give things like jacking points any consideration at all. They would probably phone someone else for help, or phone their recovery service. The problem then comes when that person who turns up to help them wrongly assumes where the jacking points are. And from what I've read on the Yeti it would be only natural to jack up where you can feel the built up area of the cill, and I think is what I would have done, even after reading the manual and not being able to find the triangles (if they are indeed mentioned).

But I think the fact that someone joins a car specific forum suggests they aren't the typical car owner and they take some interest in how things should be done. So whilst folk like me get criticised for asking about the jacking points, surely thats better than blind ignorance leading to future costly mistakes? 

I have no mechanical knowledge at all, but when I get a new car I like to make the effort to know my way around it, such as where are the jacking points, where is the towing eye stored, how is it fitted etc. Knowing these things in advance can save an awful lot of pain when something happens, especially when you break down on a freezing cold rainy night and then have to start thinking about those things.

Edited by Dale_Stevens

Heres where the confusion started for me.

The photo with the incorrectly placed masking tape shows the triangle to the right..

YJ.jpg.d48d53418ddab37e079b20985a3c4022.jpg

Whereas a photo from this thread doesn't have the triangle at all.

P7210002.JPG.ea865fdbb88f27066294feed185c9e57.JPG

I don't think anyone can be to blame for not knowing where they are, especially if you can't see the jacking point until you are underneath the car, and to do that it has to be jacked up.

However I now know that the correct place is to the right of the drain hole, even if the triangle isn't there.

But I'm not sure if they are the front or rear jacking points?

Edited by Dale_Stevens

Just now, muddyjim said:

.. And as that RACT (Australian breakdown company) video shows, even professionals are getting it wrong!

The Australians can be forgiven for getting it upside down :biggrin:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dale_Stevens said:

Heres where the confusion started for me.

The photo with the incorrectly placed masking tape shows the triangle to the right..

YJ.jpg.d48d53418ddab37e079b20985a3c4022.jpg

Whereas a photo from this thread doesn't have the triangle at all.

P7210002.JPG.ea865fdbb88f27066294feed185c9e57.JPG

I don't think anyone can be to blame for not knowing where they are, especially if you can't see the jacking point until you are underneath the car, and to do that it has to be jacked up.

However I now know that the correct place is to the right of the drain hole, even if the triangle isn't there.

But I'm not sure if they are the front or rear jacking points?

Well, well well!!!

Now it has dawned on me that the triangle is on the lower part of the plastic sill cover and the photograph has been taken from the ground facing upwards in a space too small to fit a human head even if most of the forum members could see that close in the gloom,................

I have just been out and had a feel with my braille like hands and there is indeed a raised triangle moulded at the front ahead of the drain channel & the screw fixing.

I suspect that its a recycling symbol for the plastic though!!!!

Yety, use a pair of trolley jacks and never jack up on the sill but would have do so if I get a puncture on the road.

On 11/10/2020 at 19:57, Expatman said:

Dear G**, how hard is it to find the jacking points! Just use your eyes and look!

I really despair of peoples inability to cope with simple tasks.

Now that I have finally found the symbol (if it is indeed for the jacking point) I realise that you have never done so, if you had then you would not have written the above.

24 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Now that I have finally found the symbol (if it is indeed for the jacking point) I realise that you have never done so, if you had then you would not have written the above.

I've had 2 Yeti’s, the first in 2012 and that was replaced by a new one in 2017 - just before they were discontinued. I had no problem seeing the triangular symbol on either vehicle and I used it to place the jack twice a year when I swapped from summer to winter tyres in the Autumn and back again in the Spring. Now converted to All Season tyres to save me the twice yearly hassle.

Seriously I have never had a problem finding the marks but I can see that in the dark on a rainy night it might be more difficult, so why not get a small pot of white paint and use a small paintbrush to colour the triangles white? - then you can’t miss them!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Expatman said:

I've had 2 Yeti’s, the first in 2012 and that was replaced by a new one in 2017 - just before they were discontinued. I had no problem seeing the triangular symbol on either vehicle and I used it to place the jack twice a year when I swapped from summer to winter tyres in the Autumn and back again in the Spring. Now converted to All Season tyres to save me the twice yearly hassle.

Seriously I have never had a problem finding the marks but I can see that in the dark on a rainy night it might be more difficult, so why not get a small pot of white paint and use a small paintbrush to colour the triangles white? - then you can’t miss them!

+1  

Initially found it challenging to find the marks, but after changing the winter tyres a couple of times didnt seem to have any problem finding them by FEEL once in the right area.

Going OT , I found the locking wheel nut adapter very easily damaged and after a bad experience with my first Yeti replaced the locking wheel bolts with normal ones.

22 hours ago, J.R. said:

Well, well well!!!

Now it has dawned on me that the triangle is on the lower part of the plastic sill cover and the photograph has been taken from the ground facing upwards in a space too small to fit a human head even if most of the forum members could see that close in the gloom,................

I have just been out and had a feel with my braille like hands and there is indeed a raised triangle moulded at the front ahead of the drain channel & the screw fixing.

I suspect that its a recycling symbol for the plastic though!!!!

Yety, use a pair of trolley jacks and never jack up on the sill but would have do so if I get a puncture on the road.

Just crawled out from under my SJ as prepping for MoT test, and I see the the "discussion" raging on.

May I suggest that the photos above are from two different locations - one from the front warning marker, and one from the rear. And yes, the raised moulded sign is facing down towards the road. The rear marker is +/- 85 mm in front of the rearmost drain hole, centre to centre - I can't get a more accurate measurement as it's only an electronic caliper :speechless:  VAG not would make a special batch of plastic sill covers with the moulded in markings missing!!

By the way, my new green wind-up jack, (as advertised here!) has just turned up.

I'm probably lucky as at my age I can still wriggle about under vehicles, keeps me from doing staring at the walls indoors. 

2 minutes ago, Yety said:

Just crawled out from under my SJ as prepping for MoT test, and I see the the "discussion" raging on.

May I suggest that the photos above are from two different locations - one from the front warning marker, and one from the rear. And yes, the raised moulded sign is facing down towards the road. The rear marker is +/- 85 mm in front of the rearmost drain hole, centre to centre - I can't get a more accurate measurement as it's only an electronic caliper :speechless:  VAG not would make a special batch of plastic sill covers with the moulded in markings missing!!

By the way, my new green wind-up jack, (as advertised here!) has just turned up.

I'm probably lucky as at my age I can still wriggle about under vehicles, keeps me from doing staring at the walls indoors. 

Thanks Yety. I'm interested in knowing if you think that green jack is worth buying please. Do you consider it substantial, or a bit of eBay junk?

Q. What do the Yeti jacking points, the OBD socket and my jacksy all have in common?

A. Invisible to all but  contortionists or keyboard warriors but they must be there because I can find them by feel when I have to insert something in them :D

Thanks for the localisation of the rear witness triangle Yety, I felt it this morning, must wash my hands now before verifying any other orifices :D

Edited by J.R.
  • Haha 2
  • Groan 1

On 14/10/2020 at 12:43, Dale_Stevens said:

Thanks Yety. I'm interested in knowing if you think that green jack is worth buying please. Do you consider it substantial, or a bit of eBay junk?

The green jack is very workman like, very similar to many OEM emergency jacks. Heavy gauge metal, German TUV/GS marked and seems to be involved with Unipart Autoparts. If your's comes with a jack kit, why think about another - I know, you haven't got the car yet.

I don't associate eBay with junk.

I'm only going to use it when I might need a hydraulic trolley jack to raise suspension members to line up holes etc. Using any sill jack will most probably destroy the seam sealer at the point of contact, which is why I don't use the sills to raise the car.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Yety said:

The green jack is very workman like, very similar to many OEM emergency jacks. Heavy gauge metal, German TUV/GS marked and seems to be involved with Unipart Autoparts. If your's comes with a jack kit, why think about another - I know, you haven't got the car yet.

I don't associate eBay with junk.

I'm only going to use it when I might need a hydraulic trolley jack to raise suspension members to line up holes etc. Using any sill jack will most probably destroy the seam sealer at the point of contact, which is why I don't use the sills to raise the car.

Thanks for the update Yety, I shall bear this jack in mind if mine doesn't come with one.

• 2 months later...

Picked up my new set of All Season tyres from my local garage today and they let me put my Yeti on their lift so we could see the triangle markers. I have to say, even with the car lifted 6ft up in the air and us standing directly underneath the cills, it wasn't easy to see the triangles, even with a torch to assist.

We did find them though, but more through feel, I marked their positions with chalk onto the sides of the car, with the chalk mark directly in line with the triangles, and took those photos...

Front marker

Front.thumb.jpeg.54499b5bbaea2e36aeb2775b08bbee0b.jpeg

Rear marker

Rear.thumb.jpeg.374cfefdd40362617153172a2bfe600a.jpeg

Edited by Dale_Stevens

Triangle issue has been raised previously on 'the light side'. I and others have since painted inside the triangle indents with white paint. Easily draws attention (including to the fitter who replaced 4 tyres for me this week using a pair of trolley jacks rather than a full four-post lift.