Build quality

Had a look around a Surperb in local dealer yesterday.

I was impressed by the build quality and it seems to be miles ahead of my Octy Mk3 VRS.

I loved the touch button close tail gate.

Just surprised by the build quality.

• Like 1

And there was me thinking this was going to another "squeaks, creaks and rattles" thread.....  :giggle:

Jokes aside, the Mk3 Suberb is really nicely built car. You appreciate it a little more if you don't drive it for a few days. 

I've got a few issues with mine but I still love it. 

I've got a few issues with mine but I still love it. 

+1, 

no brand new model is going to be 100% perfect, but I still love mine despite the niggling issues I have had / am having

• Like 1

+1, 

no brand new model is going to be 100% perfect, but I still love mine despite the niggling issues I have had / am having

Exactly that. 

I have a little more tolerance for a new model that's just come onto the market, complete with some fairly high tech bits of kit on board too. 

SWMBO got bitten a few times with her 2013 Octavia vRS, what with it being a new model, a new engine and a new MQB platform. I have often told her it was the perfect storm for issues  :peek:

That's why she's opted for a Yeti Outdoor as her next car. Tried and tested technology - mostly.....

I'll probably have a Kodiaq next time round, but by then it'll be at least a 2 year old model with some MY revisions under its belt. 

Trust me, just traded in a 2015 Jaguar XE for my Superb and the build quality is way, way better on the Skoda.

The front wings line up with the doors AND bonnet

No visible unpainted spot welds

The centre console actually appears to be fastened to the car

Doors close with a solid 'thunk'

No gap between the bottom of the doors and the sills

Boot / hatch area is fully trimmed.

None of this was true on the Coventry Cat.

I have had a glovebox rattle (replaced under warranty)

a resonation / rattle coming from the front bulkhead area

and a pair of side chrome window trim catching each other (same as Billyjim), these are both being going in for warranty replacement / refining in a couple of weeks.

I've got a rattle/buzz around the central windscreen de-mister vent/speaker assembly,

Knocking rear suspension,

A metallic clicking/cracking noise when steering, can also be heard at speed when weight shifts across the front axle so could be something like a ball joint perhaps? 

Rear screen washer: may as well not be there, it's that crappy,

Stitching coming apart on a bit of the rear seat,

Lots of noise, vibration and rattling between the engine and dash.

It sounds much worse than it really is to be honest, but it's going in shortly to be (hopefully) sorted out. The noise coming from the steering is a little worrying though. 

The car was collected on March 1st. No doubt niggles like these and others will be fed back to the factory for refinement during production. 

I guess every car has its issues, there's a few coming out of the wood work on mine now.

I know I was looking at a new car, but it just felt better in terms of the seats and the door clunk.

I think I'll have to have a test drive in the new year

I had a lot of vibration coming from somewhere behind the radio/centre console particularly when it was warming up and under acceleration. I mentioned it when I had it serviced - they didn't know what it was but they disconnected and reconnected some pipes/tubing (ventilation I assume) and that cured it

The car is perfect in pretty much every way (even with the sounds and rattles).

Just the point is that it can always be better, doesen´t matter what you are driving.

dstev2000 you pretty much summe all of the problems I have aswell:

1) plastic sounds (coming from the vent shafts, hopefully will be replaced).

2) Steering sounds are awful when the car is not moving (i was pretty much scared sh**less the first time I heard it). After that just made a correction that never do I ever use the steering wheel when the car isint moving. With Audi this was not a problem (the situation where you are in really really tight place).

3) Rear screen washer - The most pointless part of the car. No use whatsoever.

But all in all, the car is very good. You cant get anything better for that kind of money.

The thing with you guys which seems to be decent is that your dealerships really seem to make an effort upon taking care of your problems. In my country you pretty much need to be a CSI guy with waterproof evidence (videos) and stuff like that to even get them take you seriously.

No video = they wont do nothing.

The way things are done here :D

Best of luck making our cars better.

Indrek.

Does anyone have a clonking sound from within the cabin? Over seed bumps etc it clonks. First I thought it was the rear seat uprights not being securly in place. It almost sounds as if it's coming from within the driver's seat back rest. Only have it on bouncy stuff. Sounds almost like a chunky spring knocking against the metal frame of the seat.

Other than this minor annoyance I sometimes get a bit of vibration from with the driver's door card but otherwise perfect inside. Problem with driver's door bright work surround encountered by others on here.

Edited by Leeboy

Just over 4100 miles in mine now.

I had a noise like a vibrating wire in the driver side door card when the temperature was sub 4 degrees earlier this year. Since it's warmed up I haven't heard it.

I have a noise from the rear suspension when driving through the work car park and put that down to the 'duff' batch of rear suspension bushes.

More recently I've had a sort of 'thwock' noise from somewhere behind my right ear when going over rough surfaces/speed bumps.  Imaging rolling up a sheet of A4 paper into a tube and hitting a solid object with it.

I get the impression that the body isn't as rigid as the MkII so rough surfaces cause more twisting and thus more odd noises.

If it keeps on playing a tune I'll ask the dealer to look on it's first service.

Alf01

I note the 3 problems that you have (numbered 1,2,2 and 3).  I am waiting for delivery of my 2.0TSi L&K estate which is due to take place in October.  I currently have a 2011 2.0TDi estate in Elegance trim.  I love the car but have noted a few issues that I hope have been sorted out in the new model.  So on my Mk2 Superb, I note the following:

There seems to be a loud droning noise from the passenger seat area whenever SWMBO is in the car.  It seems to be missing whenever she is not there.  My tame mechanic does not seem to be able to help

Secondly, I have noticed that the car seems to attract haggis whenever I am driving around my home in Scotland.  They seem to come out of the bushes by the road side with no warning.  I have only hit a few of the little blighters, as I often manage to swerve to avoid them.  So far I have not damaged the car, and at least the freezer is well stocked in time for the Burns night in January.  So far the car does not seem to have attracted any Kangaroos

Finally, I have also noticed that I have to refill the fuel tank about every 600 miles.  I have been warned that this problem is likely to be more pronounced in my new purchase.  I am sure I will manage.

Regards

Pilkers

• Like 2

Off Topic but I noticed something interesting.

Our driveway is a bit of a slalom run. Watched wife coming up driveway while it was just getting dark and noticed that the LHS fog-light turned off when she turned right, then when she turned left, the LHS came back on and the RHS turned off.

Neat...!

Off Topic but I noticed something interesting.

Our driveway is a bit of a slalom run. Watched wife coming up driveway while it was just getting dark and noticed that the LHS fog-light turned off when she turned right, then when she turned left, the LHS came back on and the RHS turned off.

Neat...!

Yeah cornering lights - have been around since the Superb II.  Useful enough at times although slightly redundant if you have bi-xenons IMO if the fog lights are halogen.

On a very bad road i have a little rattle on driver side. Couldnt pin point where yet. First thought its the dash cam cable i hide behind the A pillar but seems not. 

I suspect the umbrella might be another possibility, will remove and try it later on.

Compared to my MY10 Lancer its very quite ride. I use on sport damper setting, comfort or normal might be better for this ruff road. 

Does anyone have a clonking sound from within the cabin? Over seed bumps etc it clonks. First I thought it was the rear seat uprights not being securly in place. It almost sounds as if it's coming from within the driver's seat back rest. Only have it on bouncy stuff. Sounds almost like a chunky spring knocking against the metal frame of the seat.

Other than this minor annoyance I sometimes get a bit of vibration from with the driver's door card but otherwise perfect inside. Problem with driver's door bright work surround encountered by others on here.

Had a similar clunk in the rear when traveling over humps and i managed to stop it by putting some gaffa tape on the locking loops that hold the following rear seats up.

Had a similar clunk in the rear when traveling over humps and i managed to stop it by putting some gaffa tape on the locking loops that hold the following rear seats up.

Even if someone is sitting on the back?  My kids always occupy the back seats but i hear a noise more like from inside driver door (left side in my case)

The noise from back is i think the trunk cover (Combi model) or the net attachment

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my MkIII Superb for a few months now and put a few k's on the clock- mostly very impressed with the build quality and definitely an improvement on my MkII Octy. So far my only niggles are three rattles, two of which I've located and cured and one I intend to bring up at first service;

1) Drivers side door / right hand side of the centre console "ticking" especially when driving on uneven surfaces- this turned out to be small movements of the door against the side of the centre console. The "cure" is to wedge something in the gap. I found a block of post-it notes worked well, so have now attached a felt pad like the ones you put on the underside of furniture. Not ideal- I suspect that finding the right cleaning product will stop the noise too, but it works for the time being!

2) A mosquito-like buzzing noise took a bit of experimental poking about but turned out to be the parking ticket holder vibrating against the windscreen. Placing a finger on it works well, but it does tie up one hand for the journey so I've stuck a tiny bit of tape to the window- bingo!

3) While accelerating under moderate load (e.g. up an "up" ramp to join the motorway) there's quite a bad vibration from inside the centre console. Others have also reported something similar- it seems to resonate when the RPM hits 5k. I'm hoping this can be fixed under warranty. Does anyone have any positive experiences to share getting this one sorted?

Meant to add. Try getting someone to hold the passenger or drivers side seatbelt height adjustment plastic bracket. The bit you squeeze together to move seatbelt height up or down. Mine pings a bit like a large spring on uneven surfaces. Moving the height and checking the plastic bit you squeese together was locking in place stopped the noise.