Front and rear Dash Cams.

Thinking of getting a dual dash cam set up from my 230 ( when it arrives )

If I get somthing like a Blackvue that come's with 2 camers do they both have to be hard wired in or does the rear camara get it's power from the front camera.

Any recommendations for a dual system. Can you get dual systems that pick up power from the front camera

Thanks 

AG

The Blackvue cameras (the DR650, at least) are connected together by a coaxial cable, and the front camera receives the power supply directly and then delivers it to the rear via the coaxial.

Havnt got one yet but i've read mainly good reviews about it.

• Like 1

The only problem with having them joined is you have to run the cable through to the hatch/tailgate if you want the camera mounted on the tailgate itself.

I have tended to go for 2 separate cams as I usually take the rear feed from the tailgate somewhere (usually rear wiper) and keep it contained in the tailgate.

A lot will depend on where you want to mount them

I was put off the Blackvue by the fact that the rear camera is only 720p. The one time I used a camera in anger I was glad of any resolution to pick up what the one behind was doing

Running a few mini-806s at the moment which seem to have done OK so far, but the Blackvue is well respected given the above

The Blackvue cameras (the DR650, at least) are connected together by a coaxial cable, and the front camera receives the power supply directly and then delivers it to the rear via the coaxial.

Havnt got one yet but i've read mainly good reviews about it.

Thanks for that

AG

I have had 2 separate Blackview cameras for over 2 years now, front is wired into the fuse box and the rear is powered from the rear power (ciggy) socket - with the power sockets fused to only supply power when the ignition is on.

Both are 1080p, not sure why you would want to have front and rear connected as the wiring will be hard to route, separate ones also give redundancy if one fails

Its to the lhs of the rvm - the suction is spot on as the shaded area is not printed on the surface as other cars so its just fine

• Like 1

I had a mi-witness front and rear camera fitted all was well until the front camera failed after 18 months the manufacturers said out of warranty and it had also the model had been discontinued no spare parts, so be very weary on what you buy I rated mi-witness until it packed in but not now I will go for a tried and well tested model.

I have this on the front windscreen, no issue's what so ever.

http://www.combi.org.uk/products/89/Mini-0806-Ambarella-A7-1296P-Car-Dash-Camera-DVR-With-GPS-5th-Release

& I just purchased this dash camera today for the rear.

http://www.combi.org.uk/products/130/BLACK-Xplore-C1+-Super-Mini-Wifi-HD-1080P-Car-Dashcam-with-GPS-&-Bluetooth-Remote

Nice & small for the rear, I will update how I find the rear view camera once I receive it & install it, Also comes with UK 12 months warranty  

Edited by BATVANVRS

Are sub 1080p dashcams a big compromise ? Never even owned a dash cam tbh

Does 1080p capture number plates ? Does 720p ?

I don't think I've ever seen any footage from a dashcam, ever, that proved readable number plates so wondered what is the point exactly.

Although to correct that previous experience of others footage I just looked up the blackvue and in fact yet, first time I've ever seen plates in footage ! Good.

Not sure about this then would be a compromise?

(http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/blackvue-dr430-2ch.html - looked very interesting until clear its 720p both cameras and not sure if that makes a problem but I do like the inclusion of parking mode).

A dashcam with detection when parked might seem a gimmick but surely you want to know of any damage when you aren't at your car, isn't that at least half the point of them ?

I use a Mobius ActionCam (and have for a couple of years).

It was the first one i saw "on test" that actually worked properly on an evening / at night that wasn't in the multi hundreds of pounds bracket.

There is a pretty decent write up about it here:

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/7/8/the-mobius-camera-the-do-it-all-mount-anywhere-1080p-micro-c.html

• Like 2

I got the Thinkware F750 on my Octavia, very impressed with the picture quality as both cameras are 1080p. I got an auto electrician to fit mine as i dont fancy touching electrics. Only downside is that it is a bit pricey. Captured a few accidents (not me) and downright stupid driving. 

It is fairly small and hidden behind my mirror so you cannot see it whilst driving, quite a few features on it, i have used the parking mode at train stations should anyone wallop my car but touch wood this has not happened yet

• Like 1

Well I fitted this camera on Tuesday http://www.combi.org.uk/products/130/BLACK-Xplore-C1+-Super-Mini-Wifi-HD-1080P-Car-Dashcam-with-GPS-&-Bluetooth-Remote

for rear view only, the image is spot on for any rear action & can read number plates with no issue's at-all, can format SD card within the camera & it formats the card to Fat32, also has a Wifi App so you can view via the App & you change the settings of the camera via the App too :) was a little pricey but knowing the rear is protected as well as the front! will be handy in those supermarket car parking spaces, no matter which why I face (park)  

I got the Thinkware F750 on my Octavia, very impressed with the picture quality as both cameras are 1080p. I got an auto electrician to fit mine as i dont fancy touching electrics. Only downside is that it is a bit pricey. Captured a few accidents (not me) and downright stupid driving.

It is fairly small and hidden behind my mirror so you cannot see it whilst driving, quite a few features on it, i have used the parking mode at train stations should anyone wallop my car but touch wood this has not happened yet

I have the same setup fitted too. How are finding the glare from the screen and dash? Tried lowering the angle of both cameras which helps a bit. Considering getting a polarized filter too but you can only get them from a company in France and I'm struggling translating the website.