Serious Q - What to do with Motorway Queue Jumpers?

2SkodaFamily

69 members have voted

1. 1. What is the correct thing to do when someone jumps the queue on a lane closure?

• Just let them in - it's not worth the risk
    • Refuse to yield - even if it means forcing them into the cones

Not a problem with people using the lanes to their maximum as ill do it from time to time. I wont leave it stupidly late or go flying down the lane, but i wont merge in instantly either.

I dont agree with people trying to pushin though. Thats bullying and i wont be bullied into moving. I tend to get reaallyyy stubborn.

An x5 tried it last year. Just trying to use his big car to bully his way through. It was the only time that ive ever seen everybody in a queue go bumper to bumper and make sure he waits like everyone else. Nobody likes being in a queue but nobody has the right to bully about either.

• Like 1

I once refused to let someone merge in Germany where one lane was closed but only because she was behind me already in the lane to merge into then changed back to the closing lane, passed me then expected to be let back in! She went mental on us and waving her arms around... Then the traffic eased and the speed limit lifted so I just floored it and she was trying her hardest to pass me but her car was marginally slower than ours and she couldn't... Boy was she raging when I eventually decided to just ease off and let her go! So she then proceeded to tailgate the next car and rage at them for not moving over quickly enough. Clearly in a hurry.

The HGVs are not 'doing the business'. ALL of the lanes are available until the restriction is reached. The HGVs are simply blocking available open lanes.

The correct way to approach such restrictions is to use all available lanes and then for the traffic to mutually merge. e.g., use the 'zipper' method of alternate cars merging.

I totally agree with the above. Here is an example that happened to me a few years ago. Driving down a dual carriageway overtaking some vehicles on my left. Slowed down with the traffic when we spotted a road works sign that stated the right hand lane was closed a mile ahead. Kept going slowly with the traffic in the right hand lane when about half a mile from the road works an HGV moved out of the left lane to block us off. We then moved even slower behind the HGV, which stayed alongside the cars to his left. Loads of empty road ahead of us now in the right hand lane. Now, he certainly does not have any authority to block the lane and here is the rub, when we eventually got closer to the so called road works they were no longer there and the road had been open all along. The workmen had just forgot to take the signs down from possibly the day before. Why are some British drivers so ignorant of a zipper system that actually works! My job includes changing drivers attitude and behaviour. This HGV drivers behaviour is not what a professional driver should be doing. I train experienced HGV, or as they are now called LGV drivers, as part of my job. I also used to drive LGV fuel tankers for a living all through the eighties, so I do understand their problems on the road as well. 

Good drivers never get aggressive on the road. There are however some instances where getting a little assertive can control space around your vehicle. As long as you are also prepared to go passive when assertive is not working. I wonder which one of these it is, when you try to block another road user off and you are not prepared to give way yourself. Aggressive, assertive or passive?

• Like 1

TBH just let them in and curse their parentage loudly.

Just not worth the hassle of getting threatened or your car damaged just because someone is a total.....

irn-bru-fanny-content.jpg

Edited by Aspman

Not worth the stress, getting wound up or fighting them over it will solve nothing. They will learn nothing, just let them in. In that instance I drive with around a 2 car gap in front so people can merge without anyone slowing down, everybody is happy. Someone might push their luck but that's life. If you plan it right and time it well you often find its less likely to happen when doing this anyway.

So you're in a queue to, say, use a loo at a concert.

There's "available space" on either side of the queue.

If someone used this "available space" and raced down the outside of the queue, then "merged" (I.e. Barged in) in fron of the person just in front of the door, then you'd expect to tell them where to go forth and multiply.

I'm trying to remain open minded, but the rest of us have waited patiently in the right place so I don't see why anyone should decide they're too important to wait.

• Like 2

The people using the left hand lane are complying with the Highway Code. The people changing lanes and queuing in the right hand lane are not. You seem to be hung up on the fact that everyone should be in the same lane as you and it's improper or impolite to use the other lane, when in reality they're doing the correct thing.

If there are two lanes for queuing to get into the public toilets, why would everyone pile into one queue and stand there while the other one was empty? There are two lanes for a reason, just accept that you're entitled and expected to use them both right up until the merge point.

• Like 3

If someone used this "available space" and raced down the outside of the queue, then "merged" (I.e. Barged in) in fron of the person just in front of the door, then you'd expect to tell them where to go forth and multiply.

I'm trying to remain open minded, but the rest of us have waited patiently in the right place so I don't see why anyone should decide they're too important to wait.

I agree. 

But in that scenario.. id let them go first... 

Then shake the portaloo violently from the outside after they've been in there 20 seconds. 

Should sort it. 

• Like 3

You can listen to all the comments, hey we don't live in North Korea, we are all intitiled to our own opinion. Every situation is different and hard to interpret in a cold surrounding. I still say we should have manners and try to promote Road safety

• Like 2

I find it a bit annoying like most people, but I do understand the term "merge in turn" - I think that we really do need to be able to take on "new things" like "merge in turn" - where it really annoys you even more is, that when you are approaching a throttle point, with very little traffic coming up behind you, and the inside and only remaining open lane has not got a long queue, so you just stick in the inside lane - then traffic starts apprearing from behind and requesting to join the short single inside lane while the outside lane is empty, after a lot of that, and "you" have not moved forward an inch, the outside lane starts to fill up, and until the traffic eases up again, "you" are stuck maybe for 10 minutes, seems a bit strange and annoying!  At throttle points, the plan should be to go as far forward as possible as by doing that you are keeping closest to "using your correct turn" assuming everyone understands "merge in turn" - but that is where the real issue is?

In a light hearted way, the more annoying version of that is where another road joins from the LHS and "please merge in turn" notices are well placed on all roads leading to this join, then the "joiners" think that merge in turn means 4 of us to 1 of you!

You can listen to all the comments, hey we don't live in North Korea, we are all intitiled to our own opinion. Every situation is different and hard to interpret in a cold surrounding. I still say we should have manners and try to promote Road safety

The most wise words every spoken on this forum imo. 

Without video footage atleast its all very difficult. Everybody imagines the story differently. 

Members getting upset over it doesn't do anything either. 

The people using the left hand lane are complying with the Highway Code. The people changing lanes and queuing in the right hand lane are not. You seem to be hung up on the fact that everyone should be in the same lane as you and it's improper or impolite to use the other lane, when in reality they're doing the correct thing.

If there are two lanes for queuing to get into the public toilets, why would everyone pile into one queue and stand there while the other one was empty? There are two lanes for a reason, just accept that you're entitled and expected to use them both right up until the merge point.

That's it, that's exactly why I leave space, I fully accept that it's a merging zone and not a single lane queue we should all join politely. Yes I move over in good time and don't take liberties as some do but that's just down to advance planning. Traffic would actually flow better if people merged and kept average speed up, rather than join one long queue and sit bumper to bumper. But if then someone does leave it late I allow them to merge but try and keep the queue moving for everyone's benefit.

Quick question though (only slightly off topic). Is it considered queue jumping and rude if you choose not to wait in a queue for a fuel pump on the same side as the car, and instead drive straight up to the empty pumps on the other side and do the old 'reach-around', or is that just common sense?

Quick question though (only slightly off topic). Is it considered queue jumping and rude if you choose not to wait in a queue for a fuel pump on the same side as the car, and instead drive straight up to the empty pumps on the other side and do the old 'reach-around', or is that just common sense?

If you enjoy a reach around, I can't see the issue ????

Edited by Evil Miyagi

If you enjoy a reach around, I can't see the issue ????

Good to hear a reach-around doesn't do any harm...

Must admit though I can't bring myself to look at their faces when I do it...

Just can't abide waiting for a pump just because it's on the same side as the flap. Especially at Tesco Metro type stations where people do a weekly shop and leave their car at the pump. Life isn't that short, but it's too short for that ****.

• Like 1

If the 'available space' here was the hard shoulder or pavement, you would have a point. But as there are two equal and clearly marked lanes, both of which have been designed specifically for this purpose, its not really a valid comparison.

If you were meant to merge 100yd back, thats where the other lane would end.

If he passed a red X on an overhead gantry (which is usually the case on motorways)  saying the lane was closed he would be technically breaking the law.

(but I'm sure the person who pushed in wasn't worried in the least.)

Edited by io1901
  • Like 1

Not a fair comparison. There are two toilets at the concert and you have chosen to join the longer queue. No point getting annoyed with the people who have wisely spotted the shorter one and opted to use that ;-)

Not a fair comparison. There are two toilets at the concert and you have chosen to join the longer queue. No point getting annoyed with the people who have wisely spotted the shorter one and opted to use that ;-)

No, I haven't chosen to join the longer queue, I've chosen to join the only queue. It's only a separate queue if that lane can pass the hazard/closure without merging into another lane.

If we can all leave it till the cones actually prevent onward progress, why do the signs warn of the lane closure a mile (or so) in advance?

I think the signs are usually located are known problem locations, where the need to merge is a regular or permanent requirement.

Sounds like your situation involved a temporary lane closure which meant signs were not used.

I believe the principles illustrated by the signs apply under most situations where lanes merge though.

• Like 1