Skoda - Why did you buy one?

I bought my car only because Saab went under. It's very practical in every sense of the word, even utilitarian. But the se lacks one thing, fun. The other thing that is awful is the road noise, and booming. Apart from this it's well made, it has a few creaky trim prices but all cars do.

I would not buy a skoda again, as I discovered not noticing the noise on the test drive as I was more impressed with engine, not particularly looking for negatives.

• Like 2

I got my first Skoda for fun, a MkI Octy vRS 180bhp, and because I got it relatively cheap.

My MkII and MkIII Octy vRS have been bought for the same reason. I wanted a family sized car that's fun to drive and has ample power on tap when needed. IMO, there's nothing in its class that can touch the Octy for practicality, comfort and a bit of fun.

Drove a Renault Megane as works car then an Octavia and considered both as future purchase as real pleasing drives. After reviewing both and then Octavia voted 'car of year' (circa 2004) plumped for a 18month old Octavia Ambiente after a test drive. Despite some issues during only 50K miles use i.e. badly worn front brake discs needed replacing, one front wheel bearing failure, both front suspension coil springs broken during last 12months (I consider myself a careful driver - no harsh accel or braking, no dirt tracking or driving over ploughed fields) I am now awaiting a new Octavia, vRS this time. I find it such an easy and pleasurable car to drive; it goes exactly where you point it, bags of cabin room, a huge boot and no signs of engine grumbles at any stage (diesel), slow or fast, downhill or up hill. Looking forward to a new updated model after ten plus years with present and perhaps better life span on previous early failures .

I'm on my second skoda now and like others was attracted by the price and size. I also wanted something efficient and there were few options in my price range. I'm likely to stay with skoda and upgrade to a kodiaq but it'll depend on the prices.

I think the main point is this, the octavia is so close to being perfect however there is one thing. Do you think the little flaws are deliberate, or should I say no incentive to fix them. Otherwise who would buy an A3 or golf?. The thing for me is I want a car where the design team makes it as good as they can, not where one hand is tied behind there back by there German owners. May be I over exaggerated this but you get the drift.

• Like 1

This is awkward.

It's not perfect though is it ?  The handbrake is on the left, the bonnet release is on the left and arm rest is badly positioned...all things that have put me off buying one so far.

It's not perfect though is it ? The handbrake is on the left, the bonnet release is on the left and arm rest is badly positioned...all things that have put me off buying one so far.

Where exactly do you think the handbrake should be?

In most cars it's next to the driver rather than next to the passenger.

Ah that's what you meant. Yeah, ok. I can't say it bothers me, especially when most Skodas will be LHD. Plus the handbrake didn't get in the way of the cup holder :-)

Edited by Skyrat

It's not perfect though is it ?  The handbrake is on the left, the bonnet release is on the left and arm rest is badly positioned...all things that have put me off buying one so far.

Most frustrating thing here is that these are all things that Skoda had right on the Mk2 Octavia then messed up on the Mk3. To the list of fine on the Mk2 but mucked up on the Mk3 can be added pedals, foot rests, and rear suspension on all but the most expensive models. Oh yes, and the Mk2 had a wide angle portion on the drivers door mirror and hot air routed through the door and directed right on to the side window glass beside the door mirrors. So although the Mk3 is in some ways better than the Mk2 it is far from being progress in all respects. Strikes me as a 'thats good enough for them' sort of complacency,most of it coming into the category of adding cheapness, which would only really be a bonus if that cheapness were passed on to the buyer.

As for the handbrake - make the most of it I suspect the days of the simple mechanical handbrake are numbered.

• Like 1

Most frustrating thing here is that these are all things that Skoda had right on the Mk2 Octavia then messed up on the Mk3. To the list of fine on the Mk2 but mucked up on the Mk3 can be added pedals, foot rests, and rear suspension on all but the most expensive models. Oh yes, and the Mk2 had a wide angle portion on the drivers door mirror and hot air routed through the door and directed right on to the side window glass beside the door mirrors. So although the Mk3 is in some ways better than the Mk2 it is far from being progress in all respects. Strikes me as a 'thats good enough for them' sort of complacency,most of it coming into the category of adding cheapness, which would only really be a bonus if that cheapness were passed on to the buyer.

As for the handbrake - make the most of it I suspect the days of the simple mechanical handbrake are numbered.

Wasnt the storage in the armrest cooled on mk2? I miss that on mine...

• Like 1

Volvo V-40s have their handbrakes on the left next to the passenger. At least both the V-40 and Octavia haven't one of those silly electronic things like Golfs!

I was looking for a car that would 'blend in', has nice and elegant styling and is large enough to carry four people. The Octavia 3 ticked every box. I've a couple of other cars which are on the premium side of the car market spectrum, and due to the nature of my business, it's better if I show up in a normal car. Love it so far, but I'm upgrading the 1.2 tsi to 1.8 tsi 4x4. I find I've been driving it a lot more than I anticipated and I do like my horsepowers :).

Edited by emix

The glove compartnemtn gets cooled on the II though?

Yeah, on the mk3 aswell. But its kinda impractical to fetch something to drink in the glove compartment while driving...

This doesn't bother me, but it tends to annoy the hell out of swmbo when I have to keep nudging her out of the way in traffic (I'm not one of those who like to use the footbrake forever)

Edited by Redline Greenline ii

The thing that irks me about the handbrake is that if you slide the driver's armrest to its forwardmost position - because, like me, you drive like this:

Funny-Pictures-of-Cats.jpg

Then you can't engage it again without pushing the armrest back.

The thing that irks me about the handbrake is that if you slide the driver's armrest to its forwardmost position - because, like me, you drive like this:

Then you can't engage it again without pushing the armrest back.

Look on the positive side - at least you CAN slide the armrest. On my previous car (an Audi A4) the armrest was either up or down and didn't slide so since it completely covered the handbrake when down if you needed to get to the handbrake you had to wrestle the armrest back into the upright position. It was such a PITA that I never used the armrest.

I wanted a petrol car with dsg, cheap to tax, roof rails (as I regularly carry a bike), a nice interior (having had Audis in the past) and a good size boot.

I also wanted enough room to sit behind myself (I'm 6'4") - not many can do that but the Octy has more leg room than the A6 it replaced.

I hired an insignia for a week recently and I was so grateful to get back in my Octavia afterwards - just a nicer place to be!

I hired an insignia for a week recently and I was so grateful to get back in my Octavia afterwards - just a nicer place to be!

I'll second that. Awful cars. The only car where I get car sick even if I'm driving myself. True.

Oh, sorry, not the only car. Had a Vectra for a weekend and that did the same.