Dipped Xenons

As i understand it dipped beam is achieved by a shutter covering some of the beam from the xenon. i find that the dipped beam is inadequate and has bean checked and is  correct. is there some way through vcds to adjust the shutter drop, ive seen some adaptations/codings labelled as shutter this and that and wondered if anybody had tried this kind of adjustment.

Nope, the shutter is either open or shut, there is no adjustment.

However, there are manual adjustments on the headlights you can use to lift the beams slightly. You can see the white adjustment screws on the rear of this headlight: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222023455135

I would of course recommend that adjustment is only done with a beam alignment tool to the factory percentage drop.

Nope, the shutter is either open or shut, there is no adjustment.

However, there are manual adjustments on the headlights you can use to lift the beams slightly. You can see the white adjustment screws on the rear of this headlight: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222023455135

I would of course recommend that adjustment is only done with a beam alignment tool to the factory percentage drop.

Don't suppose you know which one does vertical and which does horizontal?

If you look down on top of the headlight the inner adjuster does up/down. You really need to use a proper headlight beam setter especially for the Xenons for accuracy. Mine were poor and abit low set them to 1.25% and they are much improved and never been flashed so they don't dazzle. Didn't use vcds as only a small adjustment made and they were already set up, afs all working fine no errors.

You have to accept that AL lighting (who make the octavia headlight) just use cheap parts and poorly aligned optics.

The cut off isn't sharp which means the light output is hazy on the cutoff (where you spend most of the time looking).

You will notice it isn't even straight, it slopes up on the right side - to incoming traffic in the UK.

Increasing the brightness of the bulb helps a little, but you can't get away from a bad setup.

Here's an example of 2 projectors using the same 35w xenon bulb

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SdzpmEyYIzc

Edited by xpower
  • Like 1

Do you need to put the Xenons into 'learning mode' before adjusting via the top of the headlight?

Others will tell you different but personally - no

The adjustment (providing it's not massive and is carried out on a completely level surface) will not alter the aims enough to cause an error or unsynchronise the correlation between the lights and level sensors.

Those who have raised their height a little, have you had any issues with MOT and the headlights being too high? I ask as I'm thinking of raising mine a little as find them way to low! If I park them on my what appears to be flat drive and point them at my garage door how much should I raised the cut off by!? How much is too much? :)

Others will tell you different but personally - no

The adjustment (providing it's not massive and is carried out on a completely level surface) will not alter the aims enough to cause an error or unsynchronise the correlation between the lights and level sensors.

The only tIme they need to be put into learn mode is when you're setting the tolerances of low and high, left and right on the AFS. Levelling adjustment is carried out usIng the normal method on the adjusters. Dealers chat absolute shat about it because they cant be bothered to adjust headlights...I've asked twice and been told different things. The best was "you need to take the front bumper off to make any adjustments" what a load of BULL.

• Like 1

Those who have raised their height a little, have you had any issues with MOT and the headlights being too high? I ask as I'm thinking of raising mine a little as find them way to low! If I park them on my what appears to be flat drive and point them at my garage door how much should I raised the cut off by!? How much is too much? :)

I would like to know this also, I feel on dipper they sit too low. My wife Audi A1 S-Line Xenons seem to be set much higher. 

Edited by Guest

Xpower thank you for that - you mention brighter lights - do you have a recommendation or are there more imaginative methods ?

You have a few options:

Option 1 - didn't seem available when I did mine so untested

Change the OEM ballast for a more powerful one

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-hot-selling-original-car-ballast-for-all-car-models-45w-6A-thick-fast-bright-D1S/32727719497.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.114.vFVHea&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_1_116_10065_117_10068_114_115_10069_113_9905_10017_10080_10082_10081_10060_10061_10062_10056_10055_10054_10059_10078_10079_10073_10071_10070_421_420_10052_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_3&btsid=42d3bb88-e280-49e0-a82d-f9b1093087e8

Option 2 - this is what I did

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/385060-bi-xenon-upgrade-options-found-vrs-afsii/

Option 3 - a really expensive but super cool LED retro fit :-)