12 speakers sound system on Yeti

silworld

Hi all, 

Trying to figure out if I should invest an extra £500 adding up the 12 speakers sound system option. I have been to couple of Skoda dealers and none had any Yetis with 12 speakers or seen it for that matter. 

If any of you could give me any hints relating the sound quality and if there is really a difference over the standard sound system, it would be appreciated. 

Many thanks!

I've never really been one for needing a great sound system in a car , but I think the 8 speakers I have in my car are more than adequate (I think 8 is standard) .

• Like 2

I have standard 8 speakers in my 2016 2.0 L&K Diesel BUT I have not listened to the enhanced speaker and amp option.

However, I am quite satisfied with what I have. Digital radio and music from my computer onto an SD Card are just fine.

There are adequate tone and balance controls to suit an individual taste.

If my Yeti in motion was whisper quiet, I might consider the upgrade (my home audio is a £1500+ system, so I am slightly audiophile) but tyre, engine and other vehicle noises are inevitable competitors for my eardrums to separate.

The topic has been raised here before and opinion is divided, although the only true test is by listening to the same music source, on the same road, at the same speed, on the two systems.

Anyway, whatever you decide, enjoy your Yeti.

• Like 3

I've got the 12 in my Yeti, quite like it but never tried the Yeti with 8 so can't compare! It was added as part of the "tech pack" (in Australia), so it was an all (of the pack) or nothing for me.

From the brochure, the tech pack gave me:

- bi xenon headlights and LED day time running lights

- 12 speakers

- auto parking assist

- SmartLink

- DAB+

- rear LED lights

All that for an extra $2100AUD (at the time).

My main wants at the time from that tech pack were the bi xenon headlights/led running lights, DAB+ and SmartLink. To me, everything else (12 speakers, auto parking assist and read led lights) were an added bonus!

• Like 1

Is the 12 speaker pack really £500 now? I am sure it was about 1/2 that price when we ordered ours.

As I really like my music and am a bit of an audiophile I spec'd our car with the 12 speaker system.

In the meantime I have had various opportunities to also listen to the 8 speaker system in courtesy Yeti's when ours has been in for service.

Net result, if I was to order another Yeti, I would not bother with the 12 speaker upgrade.

Yes it sounds good, but then so does the 8 speaker setup and I'm not sure I can really spot any discernible difference.

• Like 1

I think if the 8 speaker system was poor it may be justifiable, but as said, £500 for a marginal improvement makes it an expensive addition. If you plan to keep the car for many years, you may feel you can justify the cost to yourself, but it's money you will never see again in residual value. If not standard on the car you are ordering, it's worth getting the DAB radio though.

If I wanted to "beef up" mine I'd spend £150 - £200 on an under seat active sub.

I wouldn't even bother with this. The bass reflex in the lower door speakers is actually quite excellent and doesn't require any "beefing up". If you did add a sub you would just fill the cabin with bass and ruin the sonic stage.

In my previous Audi A4 I had the full Bose sound system. The standard 8 speaker system via Amundsen II in the Yeti is nearly as good and, for me, does not warrant a £500 spend to upgrade. For me it is plenty good enough for a car. Real HiFi is at home with Linn and Naim.

It was a £450 option back in February when I ordered my car. I haven't heard the 8-speaker setup, so can't compare it - and these things are always subjective, aren't they ?

However, I would say that the 12-speaker sound is pretty good, rather than top quality, when taking into account the price. There is some noticeable distortion at moderately high volume levels, which I wouldn't have expected. I have another car (Ford) with a similarly priced speaker upgrade, and it is much better than the Skoda one overall.

If it cost £200-£300, I would probably say go for it. At £500, I would suggest that you seek out a car that is equipped with the 12-speakers and hear for yourself before committing.

Where would you put 12 speakers. Accepting that the speakers are in pairs tweeter and woofers that makes 6 installation positions. Not unless there are two subwoofers. So 4 speakers (tweeters and woofers, left and right) in the front doors; a further 4 mid-position in the rear doors and another four behind the rear seats. Am I right?

Edited by edbostan

You get 2 additional speaker ports half way up the doors for mids.

So bass reflex wooffers at the base of the doors (next to the door pocket), tweeters in the ports by the door handles, and mids mounted half way down the door card.

There are no speakers behind the rear seats.

I am guessing that the woofers in the 12 speaker setup are different to the all-range speakers fitted to the 8 speaker setup, but I have not actually compared part numbers to confirm.

Edited by 137699

In my previous Audi A4 I had the full Bose sound system. The standard 8 speaker system via Amundsen II in the Yeti is nearly as good and, for me, does not warrant a £500 spend to upgrade. For me it is plenty good enough for a car. Real HiFi is at home with Linn and Naim.

I had an A6, and paid extra for the Bose. It always sounded very tight and controlled to me. The standard system in my 2015 L & K sounds free and open [if that makes sense] and is much better to my ears.     

• 3 years later...

Hi All

a quick question.

I have the 12 Speaker ‘sound system’ in My ‘09 Yeti. The sound is absolutely awful.
I changed the front woofers to see it they were shot, but that didn’t change anything.

I checked the amp under the seat. It is a Blaupunkt 5C6 035 456 10channel with Audi and VW logos but no Skoda

does this sound right? I’m thinking that maybe it has been changed for the wrong one in the past