Dimming headlight lights on dash

I've noticed on many new cars, (my 3yr-old Mazda, my 12yr-old Subaru, and my current Octy3) the headlight & foglights have "lights-on" indication lights shining on the dashboard, when they are on.

Is this a legislated requirement in some countries?  And can VCDS or something similar, allow these to be dimmed together with the other dashboard lights?

I find it strange that modern cars, with auto-on/off headlights, and loud warning buzzers if you leave the lights on and try to exit the vehicle, would even need to inform the driver that they have their lights on, with little green, blue or orange symbols in the dashboard?

Why are they there?  Don't people know they've got their lights on?

I can fully understand actual WARNING lights being full-brightness, if they need to illuminate - but why does the driver need to be informed they've got their headlights on with a symbol on the dash?  Can't they see outside the windscreen?

The main reason I find it annoying, is that when driving on a dark road with no street-lighting (especially remote highways), I like to have my dashboard lights dimmed, so they are not on full brightness in my face, distracting me from concentrating on the road outside.

But these bright-green headlight symbols are shining at full strength right in your face, and they negate having dimmed the rest of the dashboard lights.

High beam symbol too, can be quite bright in your face.

Anyone else find these lights too bright, and would like to be able to dim them?

Or am I just a big sook?

My Octy 3 MY2016 has no headlight indicator on the dash, only foglight indicator ilumminates when they're on. Main light indication is done solely through indicators on light switch.

My Octy 3 MY2016 has no headlight indicator on the dash, only foglight indicator ilumminates when they're on. Main light indication is done solely through indicators on light switch.

Hmmmm.... mine is same model, but I've been without my car for over a week, so I may have got that bit wrong !!!

I know on my old Mazda, and also the Kia Cerato hire car, that there is a headlight indicator on the dash.  And also separate indicators for front & rear foglights.

But still most annoying though, if you want a nice dull dashboard while driving in low light conditions.

You can dim the back lighting of the intrument cluster through the infotainment system, although i'm not sure if it dims the individual warning lights too.

Mine doesn't have a light for the dipped beam being on, it's also been discussed a million times on here and no one has so far said they have one either; just ones for main beam and front and rear fogs.

yeh, I've obviously got that bit wrong.  Just having the headlights on (what you overseas folk call dipped-beam) obviously doesn't have a light on the dash - only when on high (main) beam.

Plus the foglights front and rear, as mentioned before.

Yep no lights on the dash to show the headlights on, just the symbol lights up on the light switch.

As said you can adjust the instrument brightness in the CAR menu on the radio. It also has a daylight sensor and adjusts depending on the level of light.

I have a different but related annoyance... 

When I use Auto setting for the headlights and it's dark, the Auto label on the headlight switch is lit in a really bright yellow.  When it's very dark outside, it's so bright that it's actually distracting.  If I manually turn the switch all the way to dipped, it's lit in a much more acceptable brightness and green colour.  

Bit annoying that the yellow 'auto' light seems to be set to "brighter than the sun" intensity even though I've dialled-down the brightness of the dash lights using the infotainment settings.

This topic divides opinion and has generated several heated debates on here.

Skoda have removed the green dipped headlight warning in the dash on the MkIII.

Some see it as a good thing (less distraction), others think this is a contributory factor to so many people driving around in the rain and fog without proper lights on (Auto headlights don't work in all conditions where lights might needed).

This topic divides opinion and has generated several heated debates on here.

Skoda have removed the green dipped headlight warning in the dash on the MkIII.

Some see it as a good thing (less distraction), others think this is a contributory factor to so many people driving around in the rain and fog without proper lights on (Auto headlights don't work in all conditions where lights might needed).

Having said that Silver, any driver who is driving around when the conditions are bad enough to have dipped headlights lights on and don't put them on shouldn't be driving.  :no:

One of my gripes is drivers who drive aound with sidelights on.

Agreed.

A different angle to consider though, and one I've found myself in a few times, jump in the car, start the engine, headlights come on. I'm happy with this as if auto lights weren't fitted I'd have turned them on manually. At some point during the journey the auto lights turn off, but I don't notice because it isn't dark and there is no warning light to miss on the dash.

I'm now driving without lights on in conditions I feel lights should be on.

Only one example, but on my Superb I see the dash light go off and can then manually over ride the auto setting.

In the Octavia I am more likely not to notice they've turned off.

I just think too many people put too much trust in their cars. Would a light on the dash stop this scenario completely? No, but personally I believe removing the light from the line of sight is a backward step.

• Like 3

All interesting and valid replies - thanks guys.

Curious to opinions - is there an engineering reason why cars don't just have their lights on all the time?

All my previous cars, I've driven with the headlights on ALL the time. I was taught this way, so that I'm visible to other drivers more easily.

Laws in Australia were made so that motorbikes must have their headlight on when ignition is on, for the same reason. I remember there was a lot of angriness when this law was first introduced, as riders had to get their existing bikes rewired to do this with the ignition circuit, but now, it's just normal to see bikes with (at least one) headlight on all the time.

So why do people object to doing this in cars?

If lights just came on automatically when starting car, there would be no reason to even have a light switch, never mind an "auto" switch or light sensor, or distracting bulbs in for dash reminding you the lights were on....

Is this a personal preference thing for drivers to NOT want lights on at all times?

Or a valid engineering reason for it (reduced lifespan of bulbs etc..... but that's a redundant cost when compared to an accident or loss-of-life)

Its because of emissions.

Main beams and rear lights draw enough power to be measurable in consumption.

I saw the math somewhere, and when you count in all the cars in Europe, the reduction in co2 emissions is quite big.

Its because of emissions.

Main beams and rear lights draw enough power to be measurable in consumption.

I saw the math somewhere, and when you count in all the cars in Europe, the reduction in co2 emissions is quite big.

WOW serious?  I never considered that.

Surely with the massive reduction in emissions with new technology in our vehicles these days, that the emissions caused directly by having your lights on would be negligible, when countered against the environmental & social cost of accidents and the effect on economic productivity?

WOW serious? I never considered that.

Surely with the massive reduction in emissions with new technology in our vehicles these days, that the emissions caused directly by having your lights on would be negligible, when countered against the environmental & social cost of accidents and the effect on economic productivity?

One should think now that LEDs are becoming more common, keeping the lights on shouldnt really matter much.

The numbers I saw, was years old so was only Xenons and old fashion glow bulbs.

But think on it. 70w frontlights and 42w(?) rearlights on millions of cars does consume some energy.

Yep - I understand that Gromle. 

But driving cars in itself, will consume energy.  If people were truly that concerned about their consumption effects, we wouldn't have bluetooth or wifi or 9" satnav screens in our cars either.  THOSE would surely consume a hell of a lot more energy, than having lights-on permanently, and potentially saving your life.

If we compare lights to satnav screens, Bluetooth or WiFi, the headlight power consumption is still multiple times higher than the others combined. Even my 24 inch computer monitor consumes about 40W of energy at maximum brightness. Reduce the screen to 9 inches (like your example) and the consumption is reduced as well. Bluetooth 4.0 power consumption is about 0.5 W and WiFi usually not more than 2 W. Take two Xenon headlamps of 35W and you'll get 70W or be cheap and take two halogen bulbs of 55W and get 110W.

• Like 1

To be correct those emission calculations should also include produced emissions during manufacture process of LCD screens, chipsets, etc. vs. manufacturing of halogen or Xenon bulbs.

And also how much emission will be produced when parts are left somewhere on junk yard to dissolve...

Only calculating life-time CO2 impact can be very seducing and incorrect...

Both valid comments.

I still maintain though, that if people are SOOOOO concerned about consumption in their vehicles, to the point they would argue against better visibility to other idiot drivers out there, then they shouldn't be driving at all.

Both valid comments.

I still maintain though, that if people are SOOOOO concerned about consumption in their vehicles, to the point they would argue against better visibility to other idiot drivers out there, then they shouldn't be driving at all.

I dont think its the people who are concerned. This is guaranteed from some loonie high up in the EU-system.

• Like 1

The pre-facelift VW Polo had its lights on all the time. In the 0 setting the front and rear lights were on (dipped beam on the front), then the sidelights and the regular dipped beam position worked as normal. The interior lighting was off in 0, and of course you couldn't have the high beams on. 

I've noticed that Fords are particularly bad for driving around with no lights on. In my Fabia (and presumably the Octy too) the dash cluster is lit when it's bright, but as it darkens the lighting dims, to remind you to turn on the lights. The Fiesta's dash cluster is permanently lit, and the DRLs are quite bright, so you don't realise that you need to turn on the lights. I wouldn't be against mandating rear lights to be included in the DRLs- the front lights are bright enough to let other people know where you are, so the issue with morons driving around with their lights off is only really about illuminating the rear. This also helps with the fog/rain issue, where people drive without turning on their lights because 'its daytime, I don't need my lights to see where I'm going'.