Side bolster wear @ 13k (VRS) + little rant.

I've owned my 15 reg VRS from new, the car is now 19 months old and covered 13400 miles.

My question is has anyone had a wear problem with the side bolster and was it rectified by Skoda to your satisfaction?

post-4222-0-68472800-1478075954_thumb.jpg

Please bear with me and the long blah blah!

While cleaning it last week I noticed the driver's seat side upper bolster is wearing very badly, and when I looked closer the stitching has worn through and a small tag of leather is coming apart.

So last Thursday I had it booked in for investigation with my now local dealer in Gloucester, which is Blade Skoda (I bought the car from Faintree Skoda in Telford where I was living at the time).

Photo's were taken and they sort of agreed it's not good for a car with only that mileage and age.

Move on to Monday of this week, I hadn't heard anything and as I was passing I popped in to see if anything had been actioned, after a few minutes of scurrying around the women who deals with warranty work spoke to the young lady on service reception then walked off.

I was having a wander around the showroom, the young lady called me over, so I went back to desk.

Once sat down (thankfully) I was told the damage is down to "fair wear and tear"!!, really at 13,000 miles.

It was suggested I maybe contact the supplying dealer (100 plus miles away), which I did yesterday, they said without inspecting it it would be difficult to judge but would maybe agree! AT 13400 MILES  :swear: .

Yesterday afternoon I rang Skoda Customer services to raise a complaint, the guy was really helpful and suggested ways forward and said he would check what comments were recorded against my car by Blade Skoda, NOTHING, they hadn't recorded that the car had even been to them for an inspection, and without that he can't raise the complaint, he suggested contacting them again and get it booked in for another inspection, he then transferred my call to Blade, Service reception was busy so I left a message with the general reception desk for Service to ring me back (12pm), I'm still waiting.

I really am cheesed off about the wear, I owned a MK1 VRS before taking the plunge and buying new as I was so impressed by it, it had covered 147000 miles when I sold it (I did 140000 of those) and was only just starting to show signs of wear, so to buy new and have it wearing through before it's even two years old and 20k is just not acceptable.

post-4222-0-73874100-1478076052_thumb.jpg

Keep relevant photos taken with recorded mileage and get something in writing, as everything these days needs a paper trail.

Blade dealership should have recorded vehicle visit for SKODA vehicle main history record on their main frame computer.

Insist on a report (again) and generate a paper trail of the reported wear.

• Like 1

I have no vrs but a 2014 elegance with alacantara and leather. My drivers seat bolster was wearing in a similar fashion and with 8K on the clock.

I was as in your case concerned and annoyed this was happening in such a short timescale and my car is not used frequently.

I arranged a dealer visit and was told fair wear and tear (as in your case). I was surprised by this statement and could only assume:

1. I was being fobbed off

2. Skoda really do not have much faith in component longevity

When I complained to the DP at the dealership he arranged for a repair. From what I can see the repair is a paint over of the areas that the leather has worn away. This repair was 2 months ago and already is wearing off.

In an ideal world I would like the chair replaced but I think I have no chance.

It would appear the leather is very poor quality. Pay more for the higher spec cars to be met with poor levels of quality

'Fair wear and tear'? Rubbish. How long does your house chair, seat, sofa upholstery last and I would suggest having been subject to far more 'wear and tear' - 10 to 15yrs or greater! Seems Skoda in some respects are building themselves a reputation for poor quality and as rip off merchants and if so they will reap the benefits in reduced market sales.

In any business group or chain any one of the members is contractually obliged to deal with issues raised by a customer, so do not be fobbed off by Blade Skoda.

As others suggest, and it applies to all areas where you have concern, keep time dated written and photographic records and only ever provide dealers with copies, never the originals which you need to keep for a number of years after the problem is finalised, for your future surety.

• Like 2

Thats shocking customer service by the dealer,ive just replaced my mk2 octavia vrs & it was 8 years old with 76,000 miles on it & it showed no wear on the drivers seat,id considered a mk3 as a replacement but have read about a few issues with them on here & i personally think the quality has gone downhill for the money they now cost. 

I think skoda have carried out the fatal mistake of believing their own marketing.

Prices up combined with quality down means you have a very short life.

If you intend to keep the car, I'd look at seat surgeons or a local trimmer to repair the seat and maybe cover the side bolsters with real leather rather than the pleather.

Skoda uses cheap artifical cows. The high-quality cows used in production of my previous 3-series were as good as new after 3-years. My VRS seats looked and felt cheap from day one, and show plenty of scuffs and cracks after 21K miles.

Shocking customer service...

My 15 plate vRS with nearly 12k on the clock shows nothing like that sort of wear if that helps your case (full leather seats).

I had call back from Skoda customer services this morning, they had already spoken to Blade Skoda Gloucester who said that it's down to fair wear and tear, SCS have asked for copies of the photo's and a report, they will then study them and come to a conclusion and get back to me.

I did say that if they insist it's W&T I will be seeking guidance from Trading Standards about my next course of action, because as far as I'm concerned the quality is not fit for purpose.

Oh and to quote what SCS said, warranty for interior trim is 6 months or 6500 miles, in the first 6 months my car had only covered around 2500 miles and I wouldn't have even dreamed to check for wear.

Lets see what they come back with,.

Watch this space!

Being devil's advocate here.....

From the photos it doesn't look that worn, maybe you've caught it with a belt or jeans rivet/buckle at some point, or others drive the car? Its difficult to get into a car every time without touching those bolsters.

But I guess in the interest of customer service they should at least offer to repair it, leather restoration company etc, if they don't want to replace it.

A new backrest cover is probably something ridiculous like £500 and a couple of hours labour to fit, so that's probably why they're trying to get around it. Whereas a repair would probably be less than £100.

Anyway hope you get a decent answer.

Blade are generally very good, but if Skoda wont accept that type of warranty claim then I guess they have to reject it.

Edited by glosrich
  • Like 1

I argued the fact that if I had purchased a low rent model or a low rent vrs with cloth then I would not this issue. So i questioned if the seat finish was defective.

I was met with the "we have not seen this problem before" robotised, scripted reply.

I was met with the "we have not seen this problem before" robotised, scripted reply.

Not surprising if they don't record what their customers report/show to them! As you initially found out.

As people have their lease cars inspected on return they will have to just refer the person examining it to this thread & that it is 

'fair wear and tear' as acknowledged by various Main Dealer Warranty Managers and other Volkswagen Group  Warranty Claims trained and Qualified Handlers & Customer Service.

Nothing to see out of the ordinary, not very high mileages covered before the interiors get tatty.

No problem surely for the Owners that are actually VW Finance and companies they own.  So no charge for damage to the person that leased the car.

Residuals are seemingly high on these vehicles with the not very long lasting interiors.

Bargains to be had at auctions as these vehicles are not tidy enough for going on Main Dealers forecourts without renovation or replacement of the drivers seat.

Edited by Offski

As people have their lease cars inspected on return they will have to just refer the person examining it that it is fair wear and tear as acknowledged by various Main Dealer Warranty Managers and other qualified Warranty Claims trained and Qualified Handlers.

Nothing to see out of the ordinary, not very high mileages covered before the interiors get tatty.

No problem for the Owners that are actually VW Finance and companies they own.

Residuals are seemingly high on the not very long lasting interiors.

Bargains to be had at auctions as these vehicles are not tidy enough for going on Main Dealers forecourts with renovation or replacement of the drivers seat.

That's why I have kept all of the service reports for each visit to the dealer. If the finance company quibble the Wear and tear issues then the reports will be promptly shown.

I think mine has a smilar small bit of wear not quite as bad as that but to be fair its 49k miles going on and >2 years old 14 plate.

Less bothered with mine as car was 1/2 price of new and 2nd hand so I'm buying it the condition it was in already.

But if its useful it does confirm a common fault.

Technically mine is in theory still in warranty though so is a fault. Useful to have pics ?

To be fair these cloth seats are a bit crap,

I've been initially tempted with having them re-done -

but I'm a bit in the middle here as its a bit distance to S.S, and I'm still in warranty so doesn't make sense to mess with anything.

Also the full leather seats might show up or maybe 2nd hand SS retrimmed on cars with fully heated and adjustable seats, so maybe doesn't make that much sense to splash out just yet until luck plays its hand.

IMG 20161102 213907256

Here is mine, looks worse than I thought with a night shot ! They really are ****e seats. Wonder if this will help with your evidence.

Mind were like this from new bought from Skoda 2nd hand so clearly they were aware but obviously masked in products that have worn off.

I can touch it up again though and as mentoned less bothered as I didn't pay 25k from new.

To be honest the whole fabric and non leather seat material is crap though, I wonder what the "oem leather" seats are like in comparison.

My 2nd hand Recaro seats crap all over these for quality. For shape, they are modern but for material quality **** poor considering they are vRS.

I would never buy a vRS new on this basis ( L&K just maybe, I've seen my dads bought new and they make vRS seats look childish ).
  • Like 1

I noticed some wear on mine as well but no where near as bad as the above. I'm fairly small frame and take extra care getting in and out of the car.

I'm guessing the material they used is a cheap leather that has been split down. If it is a good synthetic (like MB-Tex), it will look practically brand new. A real leather that hasn't been split down will look worn but will still retain all the surface tension.

Here is mine, looks worse than I thought with a night shot ! They really are ****e seats. Wonder if this will help with your evidence.

Mind were like this from new bought from Skoda 2nd hand so clearly they were aware but obviously masked in products that have worn off.
I can touch it up again though and as mentoned less bothered as I didn't pay 25k from new.
To be honest the whole fabric and non leather seat material is crap though, I wonder what the "oem leather" seats are like in comparison.

My 2nd hand Recaro seats crap all over these for quality. For shape, they are modern but for material quality **** poor considering they are vRS.
I would never buy a vRS new on this basis ( L&K just maybe, I've seen my dads bought new and they make vRS seats look childish ).

Your seat seems to have gone in exactly the same place, I wonder how many others out there are going the same way. 

The other thing I thought of is how do I stand at the end of my PCP, I guess the GFV of the car will be reduced because of excess wear.

I did by the car to be a "keeper" at the end of the term, but if this seat is anything to go by then I'll be handing the keys back and taking my money else where to buy my next car.

• Like 1

The other thing I thought of is how do I stand at the end of my PCP, I guess the GFV of the car will be reduced because of excess wear.

I did by the car to be a "keeper" at the end of the term, but if this seat is anything to go by then I'll be handing the keys back and taking my money else where to buy my next car.

Maybe I should ensure the tyres are all bald and thr brakes are shot and state "fair wear and tear"

Skoda 'leather' isn't great. The bolsters will always wear if people lean into them heavily as they exit the vehicle and mileage is no indicator to the dealer of how many short journeys, or how many exits have taken place from the car. I sometimes take an older person in my VRS and he exits the front passenger seat by rolling heavily across the bolster. I suspect that if he sat in my car regularly the bolster would be as worn as the OPs.

I'm glad to hear you are not excusing poor quality. There is no excuse for poor quality at this price mark.

As mentioned myself I'd be as upset as the OP but mine was already used before I had the car.

Frankly, they are a bit crap.

Even the 10+ yr old colour concept Recaros ( that I retrofitted into my car to suite same runners on Fabia 1) are far, far better than these seats. They have none of that kind of wear ( and I've had those in the car for what 4 years, and I'm sure someone had those in there car for another 10 beyond that). Beyond stretch marks and some discolouration they look more perfect compared to the wear on these.

Basically you can't excuse the quality which is akind to what you might see on £100 ish "non leather" sofas basically ( which you know from when you buy its going to wear out good and quick).

As I said I bought mine "quality used" direct from Skoda.

What does that tell you about their standards on used, I was happy on getting the car so cheap initially, but if I'm honest the slight dishonesty regarding number of owners ( 1 more than I was told somehow), lack of spark plug servicing, and the problem with seats, I wouldn't be rushing to suggest anyone buy one new OR used.

( and thats all I know so far, I've daren't probe but there was some kind of sticker type mark/residue aspect left in the rear window - looks like a circular symbol and was some writing - which I've never deciphered but looks a bit commercial to me, I was told it was a one owner teacher when I bought the car from Skoda originally but its not even 1 owner for a start).

As mentioned this is the "non leather leather" fabric seats, there are gonna be tons of used Octavias entered the used market sooner and people will be balking at the seat wear on this basis ( though I'm sure dealers will be doing their best to paint over the cracks so to speak).

Edited by vRSAnt
  • Like 1