Help me choose

mattlittle

We have an L&K in Muscovado and love the colour of the leather.

That's not really true as we don't care one way or the other. It's almost black anyways. We just get in it and go places the colour of the seats isn't an issue we just sit on them.

To me the people who wouldn't buy one because of the brown leather need to get out more but that's just me. ;)

• Like 1

"Personally, I would never have bought a grey metallic L&K with brown leather, regardless of the 'deal' I was offered."

That's a bit unfortunate as I've got one ordered in Business Grey! Mind you it is on PCH so I'm not in the slightest bothered about the residuals and I can remember a long, long time ago my grandfather had one of the early FWD Vauxhall Cavaliers in a nice shade of silver with for some strange reason bright orange fabric upholstery, unconventional but it kind of worked and it has to be said I wasn't able to see any L & K spec cars locally at all, which wasn't very helpful.

​To be honest the colour choice was rather poor to say the least, I swithered over Moon White but thought it would be hard to keep clean, never liked black as it is also hard to keep clean, spot the theme here! Silver seemed a touch bright too and the other grey a bit too dark, all in all Business Grey seemed like the least bad option. The colour of my current car Cappuccino Beige, which hardly shows dirt at all, would probably have worked pretty well with L & K seats, although to be honest I would much rather have had a nice metallic red like the pearlescent Nightmare Red that Rover used to offer or there used to be a nice bronze colour available with the Yeti which would have been ideal with the L & K spec. All in all a pretty dismal current colour range in the UK at least, shades of black, white and grey pretty much sums it up and as for Magnetic Brown...

Clearly the Marmite syndrome lives on here with the brown leather interior. 

I've just proudly taken delivery of my first Yeti Outdoor SE L - metallic silver 1.2 DSG.  I would have bought the L&K in a heartbeat if there had been a black leather interior and an option not to have the panoramic sunroof.

Edited by grajay

I'm not sure why people find it so difficult to believe. As a skoda dealer they can buy the replacement seat covers at a fraction of the price we would pay and they have a workshop full of paid for techs to fit them. If it cost them £200 a car I'd be surprised and I'd hope they make more profit than £200 on a £13-£20k+ used car.

I would have thought brown goes with the age profile.

Some of us don't give a fig about other people's opinions of our cars...........the mk1 owners in particular.

It is still an odd idea of how to sell their top of the range model, any colour of seat that you like, just so long as it is brown! Maybe their top designers are colour blind? Very strange whichever way you look at it but I only took the L & K because of the PCH price and the spec, most of which I didn't really particularly need or want like the sunroof, certainly grey or black seats would have made a lot more sense and would have been my preferred choice over brown as they would look good with virtually any external colour choice a customer could make and I thought the metallic grey would look okay with the silver wing mirrors, whilst a lot of the other colours wouldn't look quite right. Again the idea of having different coloured wing mirrors from the body is fine in practice if the two colours are complementary but not if they clash. I suppose this is all in the tradition of good old Henry Ford who started the mass car market off with any colour you like, just so long as it was black!

Went to see them today and 1.2 although not super sporty (want expecting it to be( when matched with the DSG was a great combo.

Brown leather was a no no (thanks to the owner who dropped their L&K in for a service which allowed me to peek inside.

So, it's a 1.2 DSG SEL Drive.

Or it would be if Skoda had loaded it on the dealer's system. There's a note that they won't be on there until January which makes a finance quote effectively impossible! Dealer's away to ask Skoda what to do.

An SEL order may well be upgraded to Drive but I'd have no idea of the monthly figure.

I'm not sure why people find it so difficult to believe. As a skoda dealer they can buy the replacement seat covers at a fraction of the price we would pay and they have a workshop full of paid for techs to fit them. If it cost them £200 a car I'd be surprised and I'd hope they make more profit than £200 on a £13-£20k+ used car.

Its not a simple job replacing the covers and its 5 seat sets, swabs and backs plus the 4 door panels.  I've had a seat cover replaced it took for ages to obtain and I was told it would take between and 1-2 hours just to do one swab correctly.  So i'm not so sure your assessment of £200 is correct even for the parts let alone the labour, which would have to be accounted for between the workshop and the sales department.  Just my opinion.

Went to see them today and 1.2 although not super sporty (want expecting it to be( when matched with the DSG was a great combo.

Brown leather was a no no (thanks to the owner who dropped their L&K in for a service which allowed me to peek inside.

So, it's a 1.2 DSG SEL Drive.

Or it would be if Skoda had loaded it on the dealer's system. There's a note that they won't be on there until January which makes a finance quote effectively impossible! Dealer's away to ask Skoda what to do.

An SEL order may well be upgraded to Drive but I'd have no idea of the monthly figure.

Did you choose a manual or go for the DSG auto box?

Its not a simple job replacing the covers and its 5 seat sets, swabs and backs plus the 4 door panels.  I've had a seat cover replaced it took for ages to obtain and I was told it would take between and 1-2 hours just to do one swab correctly.  So i'm not so sure your assessment of £200 is correct even for the parts let alone the labour, which would have to be accounted for between the workshop and the sales department.  Just my opinion.

I also thought this would be 'mission impossible' to change from the brown leather. If someone knows different please let me know - I would be up for it.

There are often yeti's being broken (breakersyard or ebay) where the black leather / alcantara interiors are being sold - and usually for not silly money - £300 or so.

It seems to me that what we are really talking about here is the limted number of options that Skoda UK permit.  I am absolutely delighted with my Petrol Blue 1.4 Tsi; it does 39mpg upwards; goes pretty well smotthly and quietly.

I would certainly have bought a 1.4 SEL with DSG and 2WD however including Gobi leather.

My big question is:

How do Skoda UK decide what options to offer the money paying public?  It's not as if the Yeti is big in the company car park!  I have yet to hear of a customer clinic being run to garner feelings about options on what is a brilliant all-round motor vehicle.

It seems to me that what we are really talking about here is the limted number of options that Skoda UK permit.  I am absolutely delighted with my Petrol Blue 1.4 Tsi; it does 39mpg upwards; goes pretty well smotthly and quietly.

I would certainly have bought a 1.4 SEL with DSG and 2WD however including Gobi leather.

My big question is:

How do Skoda UK decide what options to offer the money paying public?  It's not as if the Yeti is big in the company car park!  I have yet to hear of a customer clinic being run to garner feelings about options on what is a brilliant all-round motor vehicle.

Something we have all wondered about for years! Skoda's model offering is a complete mystery, perhaps they take what no one else wants?

There are often yeti's being broken (breakersyard or ebay) where the black leather / alcantara interiors are being sold - and usually for not silly money - £300 or so.

Nice idea. This could be worth exploring if changing the seats to black, assuming no heated or power seat problems. The door cards and arm rests may even look a little 'snazy' left as they are.

For those of us that would prefer a sandy colour it would unfortunately be a more complex job.

If the spec of the Ateca moves on a little.......  

Brown leather conceals those little accidents that some times happen.

Yes, and I'm surprised this isn't appreciated more in the Yeti's key demographic. Seriously though, I'm amazed how much it seems to bother people. It's not like the old Superb L&K with the brown steering wheel. That was contentious.

Edited by Nick P