World premiere of ŠKODA OCTAVIA & ŠKODA OCTAVIA vRS - Live Video 10/01/17 17:30 GMT - link in thread

The car will sell. I've been on car forums for years and years. Every time a new model comes out, bet it brand new or facelift, it gets slated. Then shock horror a few months down the line everyone has one.

Never say never, but I think I will faster get a Seat Leon Cupra than a VRS with that front.

...But then again, by the time I am switching to a new car, a totally new Octavia should be out.

• Like 1

Looks like the main light unit is right at the edge of the wing

( not good for accident damage, they will be the first thing to pop ?).

Its not much change but if the diagonal plastic bit was the out outer edge and the lights parts were side-by-side it would look pretty good.

Such a shame.....could have looked so much better. They have to factor when people are considering buying Seats or VW's its got to cut the mustard not just be a poor choice - even if is seen to be the poorer mans brand (come actually quite sensible spender), doesn't work if you are talking about closer to top of the range models like vRS.

Guest Cossiecol

Damn, was really hoping to like this as I'm changing my vRS this year, but there's no chance I'll be buying this in the current "facelift" :(

The car will sell. I've been on car forums for years and years. Every time a new model comes out, bet it brand new or facelift, it gets slated. Then shock horror a few months down the line everyone has one.

Although I will agree it will sell, I can't say that I'll swap mine in for it.

I can see what they are trying to do, but it doesn't suit the octavia, at least in my eyes.

But then again it really doesn't matter what I think, people will by it because it's a new version.

I was just thinking - with the new headlight design, will it be easier to change a dipped beam bulb ?

They didn't mention that as an improvement in their fancy launch. 

I'd rather have a "Simply clever" way of changing the bulbs than a scraper in my filler cap and an umbrella under my chair

I wasn't sure if the LED headlights were going to be for all models. 

I was also under the impression (perhaps incorrect) that the headlight bulbs on current cars were harder to change than the M2 FL Octy

I wasn't keen at all at first but is slowly growing on me, would like to see it in the flesh and on the road before I properly make up my mind though!

Oddly enough, a Finnish magazine published an article and comparison feature on the subject "Are modern car lights worse than old?"

The answer is "Yes, by a lot!"

They compared the range of Hallogen, Xenon and LED.

Without exception, all the LED cars had much shorter range/reach than the other variants. Talking about the high beam in here...

For the class-E Mercedes it was dramatically shorter than the non-LED older models.

They might be brighter right in front of the car, but... I don't think we are there yet.

can I get the link please

It was a printed magazine - if I get hold of it, I will make some photos and post them. Even if you don't speak Finnish, you can get the graphs for sure ;)

So it would appear that the hatch in that video is sporting a 4x4 badge and two back boxes which would imply it's a petrol. I think anyway. I only scrolled quickly through.

Only watched it once but I didn't see a 4x4 badge on the hatch. Their were shots of a 4x4 estate, but only one "real" exhaust.

Only watched it once but I didn't see a 4x4 badge on the hatch. Their were shots of a 4x4 estate, but only one "real" exhaust.

Yeah I take that back. During the close up images of the hatch there is a 4x4 badge and then the next shot is the rear with two exhausts, but in closer inspection no 4x4 badge as well.

So... After watching this video, the million dollar question is: how many suspension parts you need to change to get the wider rear tracking - front looks mostly the same, maybe slightly wider also.

What do you guys think has changed? Only hubs and brake discs or something else?

I doubt they messed much with the rear suspension cause there seems to be quite a lot of camber...