It's coming

Paul007

Still snowing here and I occasionally hear that the village has been cut off again but never hear when the roads are open.

Problem here is drifting, not really that much snow and roads are clear except where they are not, then the drifts are about 1m so you're not getting through without a tractor.

I'm getting hgv and vans have caused a lot of the problems. I wonder where te blame lies. The drivers, the haulage companies or is it their customers like the supermarkets demanding deliveries are made.

Also I wonder if some people feel they have to go out even knowing they'll get stuck. They won't get sanctioned if they appear in the news trapped for 18hr but they will if they don't try.

Plus lots of people drive like arseholes in the snow

• Like 1

I do wonder about all these people getting stuck - fair enough if it's an unexpected dump of snow but warnings about this lot has been about for days.

Some pictures I've seen of motorways is that the HGVs get stuck first and block the roads.

Fortunately we've had bugger all in these parts ;) and the roads are very quiet. 

Especially all the 100's of muppets who got stuck in the South West. They had days of pre-warning about the incoming storm from the South, and days of news coverage of everyone in the East already stuck in the snow but they still went out...

1 hour ago, camelspyyder said:

Especially all the 100's of muppets who got stuck in the South West. They had days of pre-warning about the incoming storm from the South, and days of news coverage of everyone in the East already stuck in the snow but they still went out...

In some cases ie the A38 it had been the Professional truck drivers that blocked the road trapping the light vehicles.

On Holden and Telegraph hill the main route to most of Devon and Cornwall the cops have banned trucks attempting these hills and just letting the cars thru.

Loving the Renault Twingo in this weather with lots of weight on the rear driving wheels and the 6 metre turning circle.

Edited by lol-lol

Well I got a phone call at 11am to go into work as the buses came back on for a Sunday service running.

Waited at a bus stop for a hour for a bus and never turned up so jus went back home and cleared

the path and deiced the Fabia.

Davy

Aspman, 

There are just total muppets out there in white, grey, black or any colour snow covered cars with no headlights on and not giving way at a wide spot before it becomes single file, 

and they can not reverse, so it is a case of having to stop every time lets these 'shoppers' continue to slither along and hope they do not hit you.

A bit dodgy as the wind picks up snow in a squall and fires it at you.

DSCN3936.JPG

DSCN3925.JPG

DSCN3930.JPG

DSCN3926.JPG

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

Decided not to let Hadley out on her Daily Walk today. 

She can just sh!t in the car, like I have just done. 

20180303_122002.png

Edited by Guest
Otto collect strikes a gun!

Its going   !

After being in Scotland ie Dundee Monday and Tuesday am  now in Plymouth.   Seen a bit of snow yes,  difficult driving, not really, a bit on the back roads but main roads fine when I did my 1,000 miles this week.

About 8 degrees down here and snow disappearing fast.

Edited by lol-lol

Its 2deg in clonmel, the thaw has begun, byt the melt water has no where to go really, most drains are well iced up.

And with sub zero temps forecast tonight, odds on a freeze are pretty high. Tomorrow could be nasty.

Ive been out, twice. Citigo needed petrol, 0range, so i did a lap in the insignia to find a open station. Tesco the first one i got to that was open, so bobbed home, grabbed lexi and fuelled up. Ran into the shop to cater for tomorrow. Its worse than before christmas..

IMAG1439.thumb.jpg.0eddb12ecabc64482c21dab7c2375c4d.jpg

No spuds

IMAG1440.thumb.jpg.ee0bdbb6f4ddd1550e91c8428a6f8066.jpg

No vegables or fruit, except some kiwis and rank lookin apples (variety unknown)

IMAG1441.thumb.jpg.d9ab9061e823e9214d28ed673c4a7980.jpg

Anyone for garlic and red onion soup :D

Went to Aldi, no normal bread or bananas but eveything else in stock. I like rye bread anyway so I was fine.

• Like 1

It was a very strange commute to work this morning, abandoned cars everywhere, the police have asked the owners to get them moved as the worst of the snow has gone and they're causing a hazard.

The last couple of days at my local supermarket there has been a white van selling milk to people..... None in Said supermarket, easy way to make a bit of extra money!

Apprently today the milk was gone within a hour or so after being restocked.

Davy

Been snowing all day here. Luckily not that hard and we must be well above zero since lots of melting going on. Schools back tomorrow!

snow what snow??...we got 1inch a week ago & that's gone..& I was in Inverness this morning...no snow to be seen anywhere....

mind you we did get -8C one day....but it is winter & we are north...

On 03/03/2018 at 14:56, lol-lol said:

Its going   !

After being in Scotland ie Dundee Monday and Tuesday am  now in Plymouth.   Seen a bit of snow yes,  difficult driving, not really, a bit on the back roads but main roads fine when I did my 1,000 miles this week.

About 8 degrees down here and snow disappearing fast.

been snowing for most of the day here. It' s not going anywhere yet

Edited by domhnall

23 hours ago, Aspman said:

Went to Aldi, no normal bread or bananas but eveything else in stock. I like rye bread anyway so I was fine.

I went to Aldi too after a friend tried to buy milk in Sainsburys, saw a woman load the last 8 2l bottled of milk into her trolley.  Honestly what is wrong with people?  It's not like the end of the world it is a wee bit of snow

• Administrators
4 hours ago, fabdavrav said:

snow what snow??...we got 1inch a week ago & that's gone..& I was in Inverness this morning...no snow to be seen anywhere....

mind you we did get -8C one day....but it is winter & we are north...

Aye was up in the CIC hut last week. Walked down, broke a pole on a tiny bit of snow covered ice 200yards form the car park :mad: drove down to spean bridge and you'd not know it was winter. Had a pastie and set off, all bar the little b roads were good and open. Really did manage to miss most of it. We did run out of milk though, so we switched to powdered milk.

Mind you spent all week melting snow as the wind chill froze the water pipe.

Fun fun fun.

Edited by ColinD
  • Like 1

In Cornwall and Devon there are none of the major supermarket distribution centres so when the road in to Cornwall and West Devon got blocked ie M5 to A38 Holden (and Telegraph) hills.

A million people's shop out of Bread, Fruit, Milk and Veg.   Farmers poured tens of thousands of litres down the drain as they could not get it away from the farms.     

• Administrators

Yeah some of the disruption is incredible, but not unexpected given the way the collective we work. I buy bread, I've forgotten how to make it. I trade time, for popping to the shop to buy a loaf. When that loaf isn't there, I'm up the creek till i find my cook book, the ingredients etc.

Thing is we'll see more and more of these erratic events. OR rather small events that tip us all over the edge and some big combo's like this.

The farmers pouring away is sad, not least for their income, but general waste. But they have, had, little choice in this.

Mother nature does not care one dot for us, it's for us to adapt and cope, we've all to some extend forgotten how to. 

Trouble is we've had worst winters even in my lifetime & each time a new bad winter hits we appear to be getting worse at coping with it....like WTF????

Some of the collective videos of other countries people laughing at our news on this when they count snow in the metre.........quiet a few along the lines of:- "so we stood up to the might of the German army....oh look a snowflake...BUY EVERYTHING IN THE SUPERMARKET & PANIC"............