two bucket method for washing cars

psion121

I always use the 2 bucket method but I don't really ever dry the car as I have softened water. All drying does is damage the paint further unless you are patient enough to 'pat' it dry

I also have never invested in grit guards, all the heavy grit and large particles fall to the bottom anyway so as long as you don't go stirring up your bucket your fine.

I'm sure everyone has their own way they like to clean their car though

Edited by SuperbTWM

Yes, however I don't use this method. I use one bucket and hose, putting the car shampoo into the hose gun container. I first of all rinse the car (using the hose), then spray the shampoo (using the hose) onto one side. I then use a sponge or whatever I can find that's clean to rub it in, using the bucket to get the muck off the sponge. Once I've done that I go back to the hose and rinse it all off, then move onto another side of the car.  

To dry the car I leave it for abit to get rid of most of the water then use a product called MotoDryer to dry those hard to get to places.

I find this works very well.  

Edited by Jonny118118

Wash routine for me is snow foam, usually Dodo Juice Apple iFoam, rinse with jet wash, then 3 buckets, one for wheel tools, 1 wash, 1 rinse. I don't use grit guards, just don't let the wash media touch the bucket :) Kept my black Volvo totally swirl free in my ownership; sadly I sold it to a guy I used to work with and last time I saw it, it was a state!!! :(

• Like 2

Snow foam, rinse, wash with 2 bucket method, wheels, rinse, air dry with my air blower to remove the majority of the water and for nooks and crannies (except the mirrors! bane of my life!! LOL) dry with a plush towel with speed detailer on each panel.. Works for me :cool: 

• Like 2

One big bucket with wash n wax in it, sponge dipped and squeezed each time. As far as I am concerned any bits of dirt big enough to create a scratch will sink to the bottom of the bucket anyway, never had any issues with scratches up until now

I just like doing premium for paint work.   If using a mit and using two buckets is all it takes to keep the car looking its best then seems straight forward to me.

Edited by psion121

I have OCD - sorry.

Dampen vehicle with hose-gun on fine rose setting, snow foam & leave to dwell, rinse off with pressure washer on low pressure, if needed snow foam again, leave to dwell and rinse. Clean wheels with Megs Wheel Brightner or VP Billberry juice, agitate and rinse, Car wash with suds (Megs Gold Class or Soft Wash Gel) 3 bucket method, 1 suds 25lt, 1 warm water 10lt & 1 cold water 10lt (all with grit guards) I use 4 wash mits, 1 for roof and glass, 1 for mid section (below top of door to rubbing strip ~200mm from door bottom), 1 for lower panel areas & bumbers and 1 for wheels, tyres and wheel arch lips. Mits are loaded with suds, applied to car, then dipped in the warm water shaken and then again in the cold water before back to the suds to repeat, Rinse with hose-gun on fine rose setting then rinsed again with just running water (no hose-gun).

I'm usually left with very little water on the panels which can be dried off with plush towel (panels), water magnet (glass) or microfibre (wheels), again using a new drying cloth for each panel/wheel, a total of 3 water magnets will be used - 1 for each side and 1 for front/rear screens.   

All cloths and mits are rinsed prior to be being washed in the machine.

On 03/02/2017 at 11:18, SashaGrace said:

Wash routine for me is snow foam, usually Dodo Juice Apple iFoam, rinse with jet wash, then 3 buckets, one for wheel tools, 1 wash, 1 rinse. I don't use grit guards, just don't let the wash media touch the bucket :) Kept my black Volvo totally swirl free in my ownership; sadly I sold it to a guy I used to work with and last time I saw it, it was a state!!! :(

My last car, like yours, was kept spotless and wanted for nothing. A mate always liked so when it came to changes cars I offered it to him at the part ex value. Breaks my heart every time I see it now as he gone for the two washes a year method :angry:

• Like 1

I use the two bucket method after using snow foam first. I'm a bit late to the snow foam scene but really rate it now. I don't use grit guards but change the rinse bucket during the wash. 

The shampoo bucket once I've done the bodywork is used for the wheels with an old mitt and brushes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Snow foam then rinse 

Snow foam again and leave to dwell while preparing 2 buckets 

Wash and rinse 

Quick detailer while using meguairs water magnet for drying 

So far swirl free even on a black roof 

I use to clear buckets which are Fat ball containers for birds. I'm not sure how much they hold, but they are big enough. Meguires Gold Class shampoo and a Washmit.

2wpkxtu.jpg

Edited by Jim H

48 minutes ago, Jim H said:

I use to clear buckets which are Fat ball containers for birds. I'm not sure how much they hold, but they are big enough. Meguires Gold Class shampoo and a Washmit.

Even your bins are cleaner than mine.

I washed my Golf in 2012. Pretty sure that was the last time it was done. Now that we've got a brand spanker Superb Estate on the way, the I'm trying to change my ways....

On a serious note, it's pretty horrific when you see the amount of detritus that comes off the paintwork isn't it...

... perhaps I should spend a little time practising on the Golf before letting rip on the new car.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2017 at 23:42, psion121 said:

sounds good, but why wet the car before snow foam?

There is a train of thought that the pressure of the snow foam coming out of the lance may drag grit and debris across your paintwork. By pre-wetting the car using a low pressure rinse, reduces the chance of this happening to your vehicle. 

Some people agree, others won't. It's the same with people using grit guards or not, or using hot or warm water in your 'shampoo' bucket. 

Some swear by it. 

Others swear at it. 

I can see that - I have from time to time used a citrus wash before the snow foam.  If the car is dirty, but to be fair mine tends not to get that bad, its washed twice a week.