Hardwire Dashcam into Citigo?

ncd

Hi All,

I'm looking to possibly hardwire my dashcam from old car (that was previously connected via USB cable) into my new Citigo and just wondered if anyone else has done it yet? I'm not brilliant with car electrics so don't want to run the risk of ruining my new car!:blush:

Many thanks

9 hours ago, ncd said:

Hi All,

I'm looking to possibly hardwire my dashcam from old car (that was previously connected via USB cable) into my new Citigo and just wondered if anyone else has done it yet? I'm not brilliant with car electrics so don't want to run the risk of ruining my new car!:blush:

Many thanks

@Updown789 has used his electrical wizardry to hardwire a dashcam for me, hopefully he replies

• Like 1

Just did mine today,was a nextbase so I just bought the hardwire kit (fits other cams too)

was really simple to do and took less than 30 minutes 

hard wire into fuse box,cable runs up A pillar and across to the cam and all is hidden 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, gizmo98 said:

Just did mine today,was a nextbase so I just bought the hardwire kit (fits other cams too)

was really simple to do and took less than 30 minutes 

hard wire into fuse box,cable runs up A pillar and across to the cam and all is hidden 

+1 did my Yeti as well.

Fred

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Updown789 said:

Easiest option is to splice into the cigarette lighter wiring for an ignition switched live and an earth. Use a dashcam hardwire kit as the cables are nice and long. Is your dashcam a micro usb or a mini usb?

Personally I would not splice into anything if at all possible, far better to use a fuse tap in the fuse box.

• Like 2

I would normally agree with you, however the citigo fuse box is in the most stupid possible place, and a fuse tap would mean that the lid wouldn't go on properly,  which could interfere with the pedal operation, so in a citigo the easiest option is the cigarette lighter.

• Like 1

Thanks for help and advice, I might have to look into this a bit more. I'm fussy about cables showing etc, so trying to work out my best route. In my RAV4, I managed to hide the cables easily:cool:

• 2 years later...

I agree the fuse box on the citygo is a 10 spanner job for a top flight gynaecologist to get to or work on . So splicing to the cigar lighter wiring looks like a lot easier. Problem how do I get access to the wiring ?

The wife had a 18 plate colour edition CitiGo. I looked into hard wiring a dash cam in. The fuse box was down by the accelerator pedal. It is covered by a plastic lid, if you used a piggy back fuse kit you could not get the fuse box lid back on.  In the end I didn't fit a dash cam 

• 3 months later...

Faced a similar situation ,when fitting a rear camera -thread on here.

Fuse box and location is a bit of an afterthought as fitted.......

As my camera runs off 5v and needs a transformer, I  ended up using 12v Aux socket. Cable then secured using clips to console,under seat frame,and under seat trim at rear.......

Not about to canibalise wiring ,and give someone a cop out......