vrs 1.4 anyone actually stayed with it past 30k???

dnlbwls

as the title says twice ive looked at them and twice ive steered away I have a Suzuki swift sport which tbh is fantastic to drive , second one ive had but fancied a more grown up but fun car ,its just the problems ive read that puts me off I mean does anyone have a 2010 one still going on th road , I see the odd one about and  then not again even for a while are people driving them then taking them back , I did read further down the forum for a good long while theres a supposed fix for it that seems to work, whats everyones thoughts ???

Just use the search function on site, there are pinned threads about issues and loads of good info from owners and lots of love for the Fabia vRS mk2. Warts and all.

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

Lots have run a Twincharger over 30,000 miles without issue as you will see if you read some past threads.

Sharkrider would be one member that did, then bought another.  lol-lol run his for near 100,000 i seem to remember, 

i ran one for over 65,000. There are or were members here that have owned a twincharger for over 5 years.

If buying one there are checks you need to do, and you might want to check if it has its original engine, or a replacement or even a replacement to that.

There are Twinchargers out there on their 3rd engine.

Skoda UK have replaced well over 500 engines in the 2,900 or so Mk2 vRS sold in the UK from 2010-2015,

most in CAVE engine cars but some in CTHE engine cars.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 2

I have searched the forum several times and this is one reason I asked, I would be buying this for a car hopefully for  long time , I only do around 6-7k miles a year but enjoy spirited safe driving where possible and I do have my car serviced when it needs it etc etc I just don't want to invest and it turn out to be a dog

hence I asked the question as wondered if peoples attitudes towards it has changed as there seems to be a lot of mixed reviews basically

thanks for your time guys anyway,my missus has a 1.2si monte carlo which is rather nice I just wanted a more spirited car(technically I do have but always room to improve if possible) 

Recently some long term members and owners have been offering for sale cars that are good ones, 

others have posted to say where their good cars were traded in and are for sale.

It is a lottery and a minefield buying cars that you need to figure out the history of, members here selling good cars or advising of good ones help the odds in your favour.

• Like 2

Mine's still going. Had engine issues at 20k but after the engine change i've had no issues really. Love the car. I do like the swifts as well. for me the DSG just round it off, pleasure to drive - I've even taken mine on a 4k euro trip with 0 problems. With the help of people here and a bit of tlc I think you can easily maintain them.

• Like 1

56,000 miles. On a 10 plate

It started using a lot of oil at around 45,000. Had the oil jets etc changed under warranty and consumption is back to normal. Used for general driving, some city some country road and a bit of motorway. Plan is to keep it for another year or so

still find it weird that some 10 plate caves don't have oil issues at all, some from the beginning (me) then others without oil jets or breather running fine also,and then another user developing oil problem at 45k. Its almost like there are cave variants within the 'cave'.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

still find it weird that some 10 plate caves don't have oil issues at all, some from the beginning (me) then others without oil jets or breather running fine also,and then another user developing oil problem at 45k. Its almost like there are cave variants within the 'cave'.

Interesting observation in the last sentence. Had my late 2011 CAVE in for a service last week and the guy referred to it as a "Phase 2" so maybe some truth in that notion.

Anyway, still going strong with no oil consumption issues and DSG running fine with Service Campaign not required.

Incidentally, the guy above mentioned the Service Campaign affected Polos the most. Plus he said the Extened Warranty is one of the best things to have if planning on keeping the vehicle for a while.

• Like 2

^^^

If there is a 'Phase 2',  and i would say there is.

It is a Main Dealership thing.

That is Full Main Dealership Servicing.

The car using 5w 30 Full Synthetic Long Life VW504 00 (Castrol / Quantum),  the VW Group 40,000 mile Service Schedule on the Spark Plugs 

and Skoda, VW, Audi, SEAT Employees saying, 'They all do that'  Oil use is within tolerances.

You need from the first service to use, 5w 30 FS VW502 00 and better spark plugs than the OEM 'VW/Audi' / NGK spark plugs. 

Then 'Phase 2', is much less likely.

Kobyashi, 

All CAVE are not the same, forget the first few cars in the Country like Brian69's, Naths & Mine, they were good ones, 

yet there were many failures of the first 6 months worth of cars that got engine rebuilds due to DEmonstrators run on 95 ron and the oil not checked at dealerships then over filled, Bore Wash and sales staff without a clue and VW, Skoda, SEAT, Audi not doing much, 

but knowing what was wrong, so they were doing stuff behind the scene.

a bit special software on the ECU of some early cars, Media cars etc like Naths, A good DSG 'management'  that can go into S7 at 127mph...,

then there are ones with a different ECU and Engine Management, then the Software Update ones, then a little 'Hardware' update before the CTHE was introduced with different components and software. Then there are early CTHE that needed the software updated and later CTHE with the Software the 2013 SEAT Ibiza Cupra had installed.

Then there are the ones with faulty components and quality control.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Naths car.

Skoda UK should take it in and see what is wrong with it 7 years on.  'Good Will Gesture', and see what they were doing wrong...

Edited by Offski
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Offski said:

The price of a Mk2 vRS Fabia in 2010 shows just how much of a bargain a new / demonstrator 2016 / 17 VW Polo GTI 192ps Manual or DSG is.

not the RRP but the price you can actually buy them for.

I ran mine through the VW configurator and it came out at £19,700 - like you say, no one would ever pay that (unless it's someone like the poor chap on here that paid in excess of £20,000 for a Fabia vRS!).

Arnold has a brand new one (not pre reg. or ex demo) in his showroom at £18,250 (it's a five door so I'd imagine the 'list' price is just over £20,000).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skyl1n3 said:

'13 vRS coming up to 30k soon, no issues what-so-ever and it uses barely any oil, still in love with it.

:thumbup:

Twin-charger / DSG combo is great fun. 

Edited by Brian69
  • Like 1

dnlbwls, 

I had the same concerns when looking at buying my 2011 VRS. 

In the end I decided to go for it, blatantly there have been problem cars in the past but it's (mainly) only the negative stuff that gets posted online. 

You could buy any car and run into troubles with it, that's the perks of car ownership. I love my car and would recommend highly. Really practical, economical when driven like a nun and very fun when you put your toe down. 

• Like 1

2011 on 48k mine. Owned it from 20k. Had to have water pump replaced and engine light came on a few months ago. Turned out to be brake boost pressure sensor? Had this replaced. Other than that, mechanically sound. I have recently noticed a slight intermittent squeak sound on acceleration. Not sure if this is a problem with pedal. It's going to skoda for a service next week, so going to ask them to check it out. 

I do have to top up oil between services but this doesn't bother me. A Couple of interior niggles which frustrate me but still love the car. 

• Like 2