Crazy Fuel Consumption 1.6TDi Elegance 13plate

16 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

The only reason UK Drivers ever heard about MPG's at 56 mph was that it was the same as 90kmh that was a European Speed limit 

and one that was convenient when setting up the crazy EU Testing / Legislation.

A long time past that a modern cars most efficient running / economy of an engines / gearing falls at the RPM that you get at 56 mph / 90 kmh.

It's about right for my Octavia as you can trundle along nicely in 6th without overly labouring the engine.

• Like 1

If I can be honest, if I were you I would be more concerned with driving along dual carriageways and motorways at 50mph than my fuel consumption.

At best you will cause some congestion around you as articulated vehicles overtake you and likely flip you off; you could get pulled over by the police or worse yet get rear-ended.  

Right or wrong is not going to matter when your injured or dead as the dozy truck driver or octogenarian (who can just about see to the edge of the bonnet through her cataracts +/- glaucoma with a clean license but is otherwise "fine" to drive) does not anticipate you being that slow; and the vicar isnt going to say at the funeral "Automass died but yay, it may comfort you to know that the crash scene investigator found that he had managed to obtain Skoda's quoted mpg before Ivan the Eastern European truck driver after driving 14 hours straight / Mrs Jones who was rushing to the bingo hall sent him to The Lord".  

There are a lot of idiots out there, drive safe man ;)

Edited by BNT1985
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, BNT1985 said:

If I can be honest, if I were you I would be more concerned with driving along dual carriageways and motorways at 50mph than my fuel consumption.

At best you will cause some congestion around you as articulated vehicles overtake you and likely flip you off; you could get pulled over by the police or worse yet get rear-ended.  

To be fair to @Automass and any similar journey posts, you cannot take the average speeds shown in the displays as any indication that anyone is driving dangerously.

The legal maximum in the UK is 70mph (unless things have changed since I was last there) and if you are generally obeying the law then the average speed is going to be well below the nominated max speed.

I'd say that if you include the pre and post motorway components then generally you would be lucky to average 60mph for the whole journey, and in my limited experience of the M25, most would be ecstatic to average 60mph on it anyway.

Having said that I'd recommend that anyone should be driving at GPS and not speedo indicated speeds, which could be anything up to 10% optimistic and I endorse your sentiment that good fuel consumption is secondary to common sense safety. However the two are not incompatible.

Have a look at your long-term average speed.

Our car is showing 19kph for the last 450km at 6.5L/100 (all urban), which is considerably slower than my bicycle average.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BNT1985 said:

Right or wrong is not going to matter when your injured or dead as the dozy truck driver or octogenarian (who can just about see to the edge of the bonnet through her cataracts +/- glaucoma with a clean license but is otherwise "fine" to drive) does not anticipate you being that slow; and the vicar isnt going to say at the funeral "Automass died but yay, it may comfort you to know that the crash scene investigator found that he had managed to obtain Skoda's quoted mpg before Ivan the Eastern European truck driver after driving 14 hours straight / Mrs Jones who was rushing to the bingo hall sent him to The Lord".  

I appreciate your concern but you might have missed some bits. there were road construction works for around 10miles and recommended maximum speed was 50mph..so i had to obey the speed limit. I also mentioned that sometime i had to drive 80mph throughout the whole motorway journey to overtake, to cop up and so and so on..i even rose the speed to 90mph, but very quickly dropped it down to 70mph as i don't want to get speed fine or point in my licence and i never had one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, automass said:

I appreciate your concern but you might have missed some bits. there were road construction works for around 10miles and recommended maximum speed was 50mph..so i had to obey the speed limit. I also mentioned that sometime i had to drive 80mph throughout the whole motorway journey to overtake, to cop up and so and so on..i even rose the speed to 90mph, but very quickly dropped it down to 70mph as i don't want to get speed fine or point in my licence and i never had one.

Apologies, some incorrect assumptions on my part.  After a few beers last night I had mental images of you dawdling along at 50mph on a dual carriageway / motorway seeing how high you could get your mpg, the road works make sense.

Seen some crazy things on the motorways over the years, so I think most things are possible :sadsmile:

• Like 2

Some dual carriageways are limited to 50mph.

We have one section on the A610 limited to 40mph, just in case someone decides to jump off an overhead bridge.

Gives you more chance to run them over too, just to make sure, Lol. (Apologies - bad taste - they must be in a bad way to do that).:sad:

• Like 2

I have the 1.6TDI DSG and average mpg is about 60 for a 30 mile commute, so 60 miles a day.

For the first 30k miles I tracked with fuelly (below) but I then got bored of filling it in weekly.

Best is about 70mpg and worst is mid 40s when stuck in heavy traffic for hours.

• Like 2

good for you Web Forret.. For me I am getting mid 40's to 50's for the local driving but if I take the car to dual carriageway (50mph speed limit) I can manage to raise it to 60-62mpg if I drive around 10minutes.

Well guys, I got my cheap fuel (bought from ASDA) running out now. fuel warning sign came on day before yesterday. So shall I continue driving until I finish all the fuel and car stops and keep some in a fuel canister in case of emergency?

I had problem of fuel Sloshing as I overfilled the tank last time..so this time I want to be careful and want to stop right at the point when cut off cuts off.  

Regarding Fuel: where can I buy fuel from? do supermarkets do Premium quality diesel in there? What is the recommended fuel station that you are using and happy with.

2 minutes ago, automass said:

So shall I continue driving until I finish all the fuel and car stops and keep some in a fuel canister in case of emergency?

It's never a good idea to run out of fuel as that can suck up the inevitable solid particles at the bottom of the tank and block or partially block fuel filters.

In addition, with a diesel there used to be problems with repressurising the fuel system (but I'm not sure that's such an issue with newer design fuel systems).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, automass said:

Regarding Fuel: where can I buy fuel from? do supermarkets do Premium quality diesel in there? What is the recommended fuel station that you are using and happy with.

Where are you from?.................................................Mars?

Seriously, where are you from?

• Like 2

I have had issues with supermarket fuel in the past on more than I car so I only use Shell wherever possible. I have a points card and go to the cheapest station locally.  I occasionally use the expensive Nitro stuff when it is on offer but I've not noticed any particular benefits so hopefully a tank full cleans out the crud or I am wasting about £4 a tank.

Edited by Web Ferret
typo
  • Like 1

yea, May be i have to look for Shell as well or BP as i heard there fuels are better than the super market..but i didn't get what you meant by Nitro Web Ferret.

They used to call it VPower, supposedly fuel with artificial additives

http://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/shell-fuels/shell-v-power-nitro-plus/shell-v-power-nitro-plus-diesel.html

Always a cracker for a forum debate!

All right..its kind of fuel additive like Redox, Forti or something else mixed in diesel then..anyway, thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, automass said:

I had problem of fuel Sloshing as I overfilled the tank last time..so this time I want to be careful and want to stop right at the point when cut off cuts off.  

I track my fuel consumption with a spreadsheet and I can tell that you will get a wrong average mpg if you overfill on the first refill and then just stop at the first cut off on the second refill. In effect you have made the tank bigger by the 1-2 litres you stored in the filler neck. Similarly, fill up when the tank level is reading the same or, when the low fuel light comes on if your recent journeys are typical.

The light comes on when there is about 9 litres left. If you read the "miles left" if will depend on your recent driving speed and style, so after a long economical journey it could read 85 miles left, but it is still only 9 litres!

I still get a variation in mpg per tank of plus and minus 5 mpg even taking all this into account.

Mine is a mk2 1.6CR so average will lower than yours. Also mine takes a long time to warm up in winter, and probably more short journeys in winter than is wise. See attached chart.

mpg.ods

Edited by pikpilot
  • Like 1

How did you maintain the spreadsheet man? I wouldn't bother to do that. In my previous car what i used to do is before going any long motorway journey i used to fill the tank full and on returning i used to go the same pump and refill it full. then i can calculate accurate MPG.

1 hour ago, Tilt said:

Where are you from?.................................................Mars?

Seriously, where are you from?

It is pretty obvious that our collective legs are being pulled by Automass.

I'm not going to waste any more time with him.

• Like 4

FWIW the long term average on my 2014 1.6 Greenline is 61mpg as tracked by Fuelly. Worst I saw across a tank was 55mpg (over Christmas). Best I ever saw on a run was 86mpg. The vast majority of my journeys are free flowing A-class 50-55mph roads with a bit of stop-start. As many others have stated, driving style makes a huge difference - I can easily reduce my mileage by 10mpg if I'm less sympathetic.

I've noticed that the quoted average mileage is awful for the first 10-15mins (especially in winter) where it's down in the 30-40's. This is almost exclusively Tesco bog standard diesel.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

Genuinely interested to know their nationality though. I suspect from their English, that they are foreign.

Probably not from Mars though........................Heh heh.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

You're probably right, if not then he's a very special breed of special

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SWBoy said:

It's never a good idea to run out of fuel as that can suck up the inevitable solid particles at the bottom of the tank and block or partially block fuel filters.

In addition, with a diesel there used to be problems with repressurising the fuel system (but I'm not sure that's such an issue with newer design fuel systems).

That always confuses me. The fuel pump pick-up in the fuel tank is always very near the bottom of the tank, irrespective of fuel level, it doesn't float up and down with the fuel level. So why are you any more likely to pick up ****e when there's less fuel in the tank?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wino said:

So why are you any more likely to pick up ****e when there's less fuel in the tank?

Because the volume of crud is contained within a smaller volume of fuel so the amount of crud per volume of fuel is greater, making the rate of clogging up the fuel filter faster.