Paint chips..

What is the best way to deal with paint chips?

i cleaned the inside of my car then I took it to be washed (against my better judgement and EVERYBODIES advice) now I have more than a few little chips which I need to sort..  I know, I know it's my own fault but it was filthy and I don't have any time coming up where I can comprehensively clean it!  

Now or I need to take care of the paint. :o :blush: :angry:

Clean the chip with IPA, to remove any polish or wax/dirt. If it's down to bare metal, Primer>Colour coat>Clear coat. If the primer is intact, colour coat>clear coat. For really small chips, I find toothpicks are the best for applying the paint. 

If the paint is metallic it's more tricky, and pre mixing colour coat and clear together will give a better result. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BATVANVRS said:

Best to find your vehicle's paint code & then buy the Skoda touch up paint, The skoda touch up paint is the best for your Skoda vehicle.

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/touch-up-paint-stick-full-range-of-colours-38208

@BATVANVRS cheers for the link mate, saved to my favourites.  Will definitely be using Skoda touch up paint! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 64VRS said:

What is the best way to deal with paint chips?

i cleaned the inside of my car then I took it to be washed (against my better judgement and EVERYBODIES advice) now I have more than a few little chips which I need to sort.. 

So the car wash chipped your paintwork?

1 hour ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

So the car wash chipped your paintwork?

Having thought about it my car was dirty and I know when I was behind a lorry I had to back off as stones where hitting my car, so it's either the car wash or I couldn't see any chips as it was dirty. So I can't say for sure! 

I know im not going back, which is a shame as the car is spotless and it's literally 30secs from my front door!

My 40k mile vRS has quite a few chips in the bonnet and being black they stick out like a saw thumb. Now the sun is shining the swirls in the paint look a bit naff, so this weekend I started doing a bit of correction work. A few weeks ago I cleaned out about 20 tiny chips across the front of the car, once I started looking I just couldn't stop myself. I touched in each chip making sure it was slightly above the finished paint level. Thus weekend end I attacked each chip with 2500 wet and dry to bring it flat with the rest of the paint, then cut back the surrounding paint with G3 and then polished. It was pretty scary taking wet and dry to my paint work but now it's all polled up the chips are looked spot on.  Although never completely gone, it now looks loads better than being peppered with white chips or blobs of touch up, I'll post some before and after pics when I takle some others on the car. 

• Like 2

On 27/03/2017 at 18:19, SkodaVRS1963 said:

The car wash at Asda Cribbs Causeway has a "no swirls" guarantee due to the materials they use.

I used it once when in Bristol and have to say I was very impressed.

Top of the range programme costs £11 mind you :o

that's good to know as I'm in and around Bristol a fair bit these days - usually have a 4 hour MWay journey home afterwards though so it might look the same as before it went in by the time I get home though 

I know IMO have upgraded a lot of their car washes to have microfibre mitters now, rather than spinning paint strippers.

they're pretty much the only car wash I'd go through, but realistically I'd rather have a dirty car until I can do it properly. 

Here's part of a rather cheesy video project I worked on for IMO:

I actually have one of the mitters (yes, that is what they're called). I use it to wrap camera kit in to go in my bag. 

...No, I don't work for IMO, I just did one project for them. 

Also...

has anyone tried this product?

As I have a couple of chips on my metallic blue, that I'd like gone.

http://www.chipex.co.uk/

the way i touch up stonechips is to roll a piece of masking tape up to a point and use that to dab the paint into the chip,let it dry then do the same with the clear coat.  This is how i was shown by my mate who owns a body shop, other people might have different methods but it always works for me!

• Like 1