Smart Link Stopped working..... (Android Auto)

Odd one this...

Never had an issue as such with Smartlink.. (Android Auto) however since my car has come back from the dealer i cant get it to work.. (car was picked up Weds after some updates.)

Whats happening is when the phone is connected it chargers only... in the past my phone would prompt to connect, (MTP) and then connect... however the car does now not react when the phone is connected or trigger the phone...  In the Smartlink menu, the device is not listed.

I know the phone reacts correctly when connected to a laptop which triggers the pop up, also tried various cables.. all ok for the laptop but the car does not...

Had no updates on the phone either...

Going to try an iphone shortly to see if carplay works...

Anyone else had this ?

thanks

41 minutes ago, RickTT said:

Odd one this...

Never had an issue as such with Smartlink.. (Android Auto) however since my car has come back from the dealer i cant get it to work.. (car was picked up Weds after some updates.)

Whats happening is when the phone is connected it chargers only... in the past my phone would prompt to connect, (MTP) and then connect... however the car does now not react when the phone is connected or trigger the phone...  In the Smartlink menu, the device is not listed.

I know the phone reacts correctly when connected to a laptop which triggers the pop up, also tried various cables.. all ok for the laptop but the car does not...

Had no updates on the phone either...

Going to try an iphone shortly to see if carplay works...

Anyone else had this ?

thanks

Strange - sounds worryingly like a Columbus update might have broken it... What's the phone?

its a LG G3...

I have just tried the MRS Iphone and that works perfect..

Just been checking all updates on phone and nothing has changed... (I have all app on manual update and none of them have changed / updated either... )

Im just in the process of removing Andriod Auto and reinstalling... will then nip out and try again..

Managed to get it sorted - but it took some messing around..

• First thing i tried was enabling developer mode on the phone and forcing it to connect via MTP only... nothing..
  • Tried a different cable and forced MTP - nothing.
  • Removed Android Auto & restart of phone -
  • Tried original cable - nothing.
  • Tried another cable and was able to force it to connect with DEV options enabled.
  • Tried with the existing cable - nothing.
  • Disabled DEV options - Works with "other" cable, fails with existing.
  •  

So it looks like the cable is at fault for data only but still chargers ok as well as Android Auto playing up at the same time.

Glad its sorted and need to order a new right angle bend short cable.

2 hours of my Sat night i wont get back.....

Edited by RickTT
  • Like 1

I'm having the exact same issue with my galaxy s5 and 20cm right angled usb cable. I think we need to find one of those flexible cables for this to work properly as my thoughts are the cable connectors are becoming ever so slightly bent out of place from continued use.

• 2 months later...

Any updates to report re Android Auto?

Mine crashes now and then and all I can do is unplug and reconnect to get it to work again (sometimes several times).

Often it's very sluggish too.

Have you tried just pressing the power button on the phone - this is enough to 're-awaken' mine when it freezes without having to re-connect. I also changed by usb cable for a braided one and that stopped the total lockups I was getting.

• Like 1

I had almost same problem with mirrorlink and HTC 10, on skoda support they said that no 3rd party cable would be good and only the original cable will work. Then I tried and tried with original cable and I was able only charging but not connect phone to my Bolero to transfer navigation on it. After a lot of empty shots with original cable I tried with two 3rd party, one was no good but the other one is working. On one trip I connected and disconnected phone at least 10 times and every time it was OK.

• Like 1

The only thing I noticed, I bought Sygic Car navigation so I can run it thru Mirrorlink. I have to first start the car wait until the phone connects thru bluetooth and then connect it with cable and mirrorlink. If I dont do it in this order I dont get road instructions on car speakers it stays on phone speakers. It is a little buggy but I hope they will fix a little with next update which is planed in June. Maybe I also change my phone from HTC 10 to HTC 11.

On 17/06/2017 at 16:14, Khalfani said:

The only thing I noticed, I bought Sygic Car navigation...

Any reason you're not using Google Maps/Waze? They both work great on AA.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Khalfani said:

In my country AA is not supported

See this https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/android-auto/EqgZ-3avHJA/zDju4dhHBQAJ

Vojtěch Navrátil said:

Žan Lajh, you can use Android Auto even in Slovenia, the only problem is it wont appear in your Play Store. Luckily you can sideload an app to your phone and it will work just fine, there is not any country limitation except the Play Store one, plus it wont support your language (probably). Look here to grab the latest Android Auto APK (Instalation file) from the trusted source, signed by Google (Android Police): http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-auto/android-auto-1-6-2825091-release-release/ , just go to Settings, Security and enable Sideload apps from unknown sources. Dont forget to disable it later.

Although on this occasion a faulty lead was found I would also recommend in these situations going into a Application Manager and clearing the cache from the Bluetooth section + any app associated with streaming app (Spotify,Google Play,Pandora)...

I had a similar problem with my old MK2 but this solved it within seconds...

Although strictly speaking Android Auto is a data feed from the USB Type-C Port (Nexus 6P) coupled with a Bluetooth connection it's always worth a punt just to rule out the phone as being the guilty suspect.

Edited by Zenbasses

On 21/06/2017 at 10:55, Khalfani said:

In my country AA is not supported

Not supported from Google Play or on your Columbus unit?

You can always side load AA from APKMirror if it's not available to download in your local Google Play...

3 hours ago, r08shaw said:

Not supported from Google Play or on your Columbus unit?

You can always side load AA from APKMirror if it's not available to download in your local Google Play...

Google play, now I have managed to install AA and just need some free time to test it

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi

My smartlink connection (using Android Auto on a Samsung S7) stopped working about 2 weeks ago. I figured it was a cable issue but have tried 3 different cables to no avail. It will charge but no data transfer. Can anyone recommend a cable or offer other advice as to what I can try? I've uninstalled AA  and that hasn't helped. 

Thanks 

Sam 

2 hours ago, Sredders said:

Hi

My smartlink connection (using Android Auto on a Samsung S7) stopped working about 2 weeks ago. I figured it was a cable issue but have tried 3 different cables to no avail. It will charge but no data transfer. Can anyone recommend a cable or offer other advice as to what I can try? I've uninstalled AA  and that hasn't helped. 

Thanks 

Sam 

First time this happened to me I found a heap of pocket fluff inside the phone connection. A dug most of it out and blew the rest out with air in a can.

The second time it was just my cheap cable giving up, probably damaged from forcing it into the fluffy connector. 

• Like 1

When using Smartlink and Android Auto, my screen in the car goes black when using Google Maps or Waze. I have to physically disconnect the phone to get the screen working again.

Using latest SW on the phone, Android Auto and in the car. Phone is an Oneplus 3 with Oreo.

36 minutes ago, Grief said:

When using Smartlink and Android Auto, my screen in the car goes black when using Google Maps or Waze. I have to physically disconnect the phone to get the screen working again.

Using latest SW on the phone, Android Auto and in the car. Phone is an Oneplus 3 with Oreo.

Have you had AA working at any point?

My guess is the screen goes black as it hands over to your phone to display the AA output.   Is there anything displaying on your phone perhaps, such as messages to accept various terms and conditions etc?

On 2018-01-15 at 13:50, Lee_M said:

Have you had AA working at any point?

My guess is the screen goes black as it hands over to your phone to display the AA output.   Is there anything displaying on your phone perhaps, such as messages to accept various terms and conditions etc?

Yep, it works flawlessly until I go back from Google Maps or Waze to Spotify and then back to navigation. Then it goes black. The music keeps on playing but nothing can be done to Android Auto before disconnecting and connecting the cable.

Works a bit better if I uninstall Waze.

Just checked again, all permissions are allowed on phone for Waze, Android Auto and Google Maps.

I have an iPhone as well but I much prefer Android Auto to Apple Carplay.

• 5 years later...

Hi everyone, I am facing similar a issue. When I connect my phone to my Mk3 Superb, my phone tells me that Android Auto is connected. However, as soon as I click on App to go into Smartlink, all I see is the standard Smartlink screen with the available apps. In the past it used to jump straight into Android Auto as soon as it was connected but now it's not moving. Any suggestions? I already reset the infotainment screen and I am in touch with Skoda so in case they provide a solution, I'll post it here as well. Many thanks