Sharp Needles for Front Seat legs - under plastic/rubber

I, for one, am very appreciate of the warning about these potentially lethal spikes.

Only last night, my two year old daughter abseiled down from her bedroom window, onto the driveway. (She must have taken the keys to the car earlier and stashed them somewhere.) The first my wife and I knew about it, was seeing the flash of the indicators through the lounge curtains as she unlocked the car. I raced straight outside, and somehow, thankfully made it there just in time. I managed to grab her just as she was crawling into the passenger footwell and reaching up under the dash towards those dreaded spikes! Phew! Close one eh?

Thankfully, disaster was narrowly averted in our case, but rest assured I'll be having a jolly strong word with Skoda about their utterly reckless spike placement. These kinds of scenarios should be part of ALL manufacturer's safety basic testing imo. 

Be warned folks, it could literally happen to anyone...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WayTooTall said:

Odd that this these dangerous spikes you talk about didn't impact the 5* NCAP rating the Octavia has.

5* is also because the car doesn't kill you when you make an accident at 64 km/h.

That means you have 32 km/h and the other car also 32 km/h.

At 50 km/h + 50 km/h the Octavia III engine kills both front passengers.

So ncap is only good for city accidents mostly.

Odd ? No !

Edited by umbral
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, umbral said:

5* is also because the car doesn't kill you when you make an accident at 64 km/h.

That means you have 32 km/h and the other car also 32 km/h.

At 50 km/h + 50 km/h the Octavia III engine kills both front passengers.

So ncap is only good for city accidents mostly.

Odd ? No !

Ah the engine kills you but not the spikes, so we are back to what is the problem with the spikes.

Either they aren't a problem in a city accident or it would have affected the ncap rating, or the spikes are irrelevant because the engine is going to kill you after the spikes have damaged your leg.

So we are back to why are these spikes a problem?  Is it for an accident greater than 64km/h but less than 100km/h?

3 minutes ago, WayTooTall said:

Ah the engine kills you but not the spikes, so we are back to what is the problem with the spikes.

Either they aren't a problem in a city accident or it would have affected the ncap rating, or the spikes are irrelevant because the engine is going to kill you after the spikes have damaged your leg.

So we are back to why are these spikes a problem?  Is it for an accident greater than 64km/h but less than 100km/h?

The spikes can hurt you if the front of the car, during an accident, is moved enough towards the front passengers.

Please go check the thickness of the spikes yourself to have a personal opinion.

What i don't like is the finish with the spikes on the Octavia 3 and i still question what is the purpose of those spikes.

Umbral, in order to put to bed the jokes about the spikes, can you take some pictures of them. All of the forum members have looked and found none including myself. 

Perhaps the language is getting in the way and what you actually mean are sharp edges. Cable ties are a favourite and they may have been cut with side cutters, leaving a sharp point. 

I have loads of scars on my hands and arms as a result of idiots not using the correct tools.

If english is not your native language, can you describe them in your own language.

On 4/29/2017 at 02:52, the rooster said:

Umbral, in order to put to bed the jokes about the spikes, can you take some pictures of them. All of the forum members have looked and found none including myself. 

Perhaps the language is getting in the way and what you actually mean are sharp edges. Cable ties are a favourite and they may have been cut with side cutters, leaving a sharp point. 

I have loads of scars on my hands and arms as a result of idiots not using the correct tools.

If english is not your native language, can you describe them in your own language.

Some people have good humor, i appreciate that. Some don't know when to stop.

I am not trying to prove anything, i just reported my findings.

I will try to go to a showroom again and try to photograph them, although not sure a smartphone camera will fit in there.

Have you seen this picture :

test.jpg

I put my hand as high as i could - end of console (much higher than what the red point shows) then tried to go behind the rubber, i found at least 2 steal needles with sharp points, and these points were against the footrest material.

Edited by umbral

4 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Shouldn't that be " Needle-Less "  :thinking:

Excellent, sharp tongued wit, to the point and defo worth 10/10 and hopefully won't cause unnecessary needle between poster

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Ahh, so you got my point. 

Now I'm confused, I thought there was a general consensus this thread was actually pointless?

• Like 2

Yes but the thread has me in stitches.

No use trying to pull the wool over my eyes about this cost cutting, we need to get the issue all sewn up.

Has the car got purl-escent paint? Or perhaps it's diabetic and it's to do with the insulination?

Enough!! :x :whew:

On 4/27/2017 at 21:30, pist0nbr0ke said:

........and made the airbags out of condoms, is it? 

A stupid design idea; if you had a crash and the airbags went off you would be f***ed :blush

I felt around in my car and still have all my digits with no injuries to report, alas I am unable to locate spikes or sharp bits in the area indicated in the picture by the OP.

Good thread will read again.   

26 minutes ago, harrylime said:

Isn't this the same bloke who posted a bizarre thread about the Octavia roof being so low he couldn't see through the windscreen?

Yeah it was the same user. Both odd posts which nobody else seemed to agree with.

I would not actually complain if this beauty, who had just crossed the road in front of us, chose to nest and lay eggs under the footwell.

IMG_0504 (2).JPG

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ahenners said:

You signed up just to make that post?! 

Brilliant :D

Welcome!

Been lurking about for a while but couldn't resist

thanks for the welcome :)

• Like 1